1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preference on 6" Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Hunter.V.White, Jun 16, 2010.

?

Which 6" Lift Kit Would You Recommend?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2010.
  1. Fabtech 6" Performance Lift Kit

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. Pro Comp 6" Stage II Lift Kit

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Other

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Console Vault, Hitch Safe, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, SS Rear Brake Lines, U-Bolt Flip, Sway Bar Relocate, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, WeatherTech Floor Liners. Spartan Tactical VMP-C, Blue Ridge Overland Gear Molle Seat Panel, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    Hey All,

I am looking to get a 6" lift for my truck (2007 4WD DC TRD Sport) and am going back and forth between the Fabtech 6" performance lift kit with 2.5 Dirt Logic coilovers, or the Pro Comp 6" Stage II Lift kit (MX2.75 coilovers). I want to run 35" tires on 17" or 18" rims (depending on the requirements for the lift - I would prefer 17" rims).

I've been reading a lot of these threads about lifting our trucks, and the biggest piece of advice I've taken away is to avoid being "frugal" and just spend the money to lift it correctly. So far in my research, these are the two lift kits that seem to be the best, but I don't have any experience with either of these companies [or kits]; this will be the first truck I have lifted. I imagine that some of you guys have one of these lifts on your truck, what do you think? What about ordering a basic kit and providing my own coilovers - such as Fox 2.5 coilovers? Do you recommend a different/better 6" lift kit?

I plan to use my truck as a daily driver (city driving), but I will also use it for the occasional off-road excursion (dirt trails), as well as hunting, fishing, camping, and driving around the Army base (I'm ROTC now, but I've been to Ft. Benning a lot and know that I need my truck to be able to traverse the land nav courses and other various dirt roads and tank trails where I am going to be stationed). I don't plan to use my truck to do any rock crawling (specifically), unless rocks are apart of the trail I'm on. I also want the truck to be able to handle driving in adverse conditions (i.e. snow and high water) that I may encounter in daily life in states such as Washington or Colorado.

I apologize if this question has already been covered; I've searched multiple times and read many of the related threads, but no thread [that I found] directly addressed my question. If such a thread exists, I would appreciate being pointed in the correct direction.

Any and all advice is appreciated. I'm open minded to what I finally settle on; I'm more concerned with getting a quality lift for my truck that will enable me to go where I want to go, than having the tallest or most expensive lift on the road.

Thanks,

Hunter

2. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    RCD 4.5 Ftw

3. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    dgalleon

dgalleon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 Dbl Cab LB
    TRD CAI, Flowmaster 40 series, 6" Fabtech Lift, Dirt Logic rear shocks
    I have the Fabtech 6"... def make sure you get the coilovers tho... i have the 6" with 35's and it runs great... btw once you join the 6" lift club, make sure you only take advice from people that actually have 6" lifts....i made the mistake by listening to people who didnt have 6" lift and "thought" they knew what they were talking about and just ended up screwing things up for me.... i had to learned things the hard way but i atleast know the correct answers now.... let me know if you have any questions.

4. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    x2

otherwise go with the fabtech kit

5. Jun 17, 2010 at 2:33 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Console Vault, Hitch Safe, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, SS Rear Brake Lines, U-Bolt Flip, Sway Bar Relocate, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, WeatherTech Floor Liners. Spartan Tactical VMP-C, Blue Ridge Overland Gear Molle Seat Panel, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    Thanks for all of the advice :). Does the RCD 4.5 lift come with coilovers? I've heard that coilovers really make the ride much smoother, so I am thinking that I want my lift to include them. Also, are you guys running 33's with the 4.5" lift? Thanks again.

6. Jun 17, 2010 at 2:36 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    they come new front and rear bilstein extended length shocks... you can use your stock coils. I did... the ride is smooth like stock

I am running a 305/65/17 tire on mine without any problems probably could put a bigger tire on if I wanted too

btw the picture below is old prior to the RCD kit

7. Jun 17, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    So I've been reading more threads and doing more research on this, but still haven't come to a concise conclusion as to why the RCD kit is better than a Fabtech or Pro Comp kit. For those of you that have it, why do you think (or know) it is better? Is it because you had more options to set up your lift the way you wanted? Maybe you thought 6" was too tall for off-road use? Or perhaps you prefer the quality of RCD over Fabtech or Pro Comp?

Thanks for insight! :)

8. Jun 17, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    i love my rcd kit and i would recommend it to anyone but if i were to get a 6 inch lift i would go with fabtech. i dont know a whole lot about the 6 inchers but the offroad shop here told me that fabtech has a high quality product.

9. Jun 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    I found this post from Toku58 on another thread. I thought it might be useful for anyone who had the same question as I do:

-----------
    Quote: Originally Posted by Stillfly199

So I found a fabtech for $2500, and pro comp for $2200, both are the "performance", which is the better kit?
    -------------

Wow! Better is a relative term? I have found that both have their good and their bad points.

-Because IMHO, The FABTECH is built stronger.

-They don't lower the front Differential as much as the Procomp. (Which is relative, because both lower the diff.) I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing? It would depend on your goal.

-Aesthetically IMHO the arch of the Fabtech is visually more appealing. The Fabtech C/O's look to be made of a higher quality, also the rear shocks.

- I've found that the Procomp DB lowers the LCA's approximately 4" And their spindles are proportionately the same 4"

-Fabtech DB lowers the LCA's approx. 5.5" BUT their spindles are only 4.5". (So the new spindles are 1" too short to maintain the actual factory orientation.) This is most likely their attempt to compensate because of the bigger spindle the have in their kit.

Fabtech spindles are "Bullet Proof" whereas the Procomp appears to be an extended version of the stock spindles. (which for some reason they forgot to incorporate the steering stops in their design) The stops must be welded on by the installer.

Both kit for a 4x4 require cutting of the rear cross member!

ONLY the Procomp DOES NOT require cutting for the 2WD. (But it does require a fair amount of drilling)

Both kits do exactly what they are Designed for.

Both kits are solid.

Both kits fall short from the perfect design! Wether these short comings are intentional? Or wether it is just a result of a lack of designer knowledge? I don't really know?

But I would recommend that both companies improve on these areas.

There are a few more design short comings but they are minor.

10. Jun 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    mnudo200827

mnudo200827 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner
    Icon Coilovers, All-Pro UCA's, All Pro 3" Leaf Springs, Rear Fox Adjustable Shocks, Stainless Steel Brake lines, 17" KMC Addicts wrapped in 305/65/17 KM2's, Kenwood DDX 512 stereo, 2 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subs in custom enclosure, 4 component speakers, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    I am going to be getting camburg 4" spindles and I already have coilovers that can adjust 0-3.5". So you can go from 4-7.5" for the front. Ad for the rear I am going to get a custom leaf pack from Alcan. They are fully custom to what characteristics you want; hauling, off roading, nice and smooth daily drive and they can put lift into the pack. I am probably going to get the leafs with a 5" lift and put the coilovers at 3" so I will have 7" in front and it will be leveled out. Then put 35" tires and regear. And with setup u won't lower u clearance. Just a setup to look into

11. Jun 20, 2010 at 12:49 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Okay, that sounds like it is worth looking into.

I'm a little OCD (I'm sure some people would laugh at my qualitative "little" lol) and I like to completely understand something (from the inside and out) before I spend my money on it. I am in a dual degree program with Emory University and Georgia Tech, where my second Bachelors (BS) is in mechanical engineering, so if you could imagine, my mind works like that. It definitely makes it hard to impulse buy on the more complex, big ticket items like a lift :) But maybe it's good, because I'm usually 100% satisfied with what I end up with.

This is why I appreciate an explanation with an opinion - helps me to further understand the workings of the product. I have a few months before I can buy my lift, but I've already started heavily researching it. Just when I think I know what I want, I hear of another good idea that I didn't consider; so I then have to completely understand that new option, and then determine if that is better for me than what I had previously settled on. I'll decide eventually!!!

Thanks for all of the advice and help :)

12. Jun 20, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    west coast slayer

west coast slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lodi Calif
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4
    6 inch Fabtech lift, 17x9 wheels with 35 inch tires
    I wouldnt go with 35s. I just bought a truck with 35s on it and went down to 33s. It has a Fabtech 6" and is by far more driveable now, gets better mileage, rides better, does'nt rub, has way more power because the gear ratio isnt so off ,and everyone tells me it looks a lot better which I agree with. Any ways just putting in my factual observations. 33s all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Jun 20, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    A 6" with 33's imo will look fugly. Drop bracket lifts are fugly as it is

14. Jun 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    west coast slayer

west coast slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lodi Calif
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4
    to each his own. Everyone who has seen this truck says it looks ten times better than with the 35s!!! Ill have to post some pics and let everyone on the forum be the judges.

15. Jun 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    im about to buy a new set of 35s for my truck i went procomp with radflo coilovers set at around 7inches of lift

16. Jun 22, 2010 at 12:07 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Hey thanks for the reply! Your truck looks good man; I think that if i decide to go 6" I'll end up with the Fabtech lift and coilovers. I'm also considering the RCD 4.5" lift kit, which I would run 33's with. Still looking into and understanding both options :)

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to show me what you went with!

17. Jun 23, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    west coast slayer

west coast slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lodi Calif
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4
    DSC02083.jpgThis is a picsture of mine. 6" Fabtech with 33" toyo

18. Jun 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Coolidge

Coolidge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Lancaster, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pre Runner
    King coilovers frt +3". Bilstein 5100 shocks rear w/AAL, K&N FIPK, Magnablow exhaust, Billet grill, clear corner lights, Sony stereo, JBL, Sub etc.
    IMHO, I wouldnt do a 6" lift on a Tacoma.....
    I got rid of my 6" DB lift (1st Gen Pre Runner) Was biggest piece of $hit ever. Hated driving truck with it. Off road was worse. Just running Kings frt and AAL's w/Billsteins rear. Now I dont hate driving the truck and its got 'value' back
    But if ya gotta have one, I understand where your coming from. Good Luck

19. Jul 12, 2010 at 2:28 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco 4x4 TRD OffRoad Rugged Trail
    SAW 2.0s, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, On Board Air, 255/85/16 Cooper Discover S/T, CBI Sliders, Built right UCAs, 6" Harbor Freight Lights (converted to HIDs), KC Slim Lights.
    Imo I REALLY don't like them and would never spend my money on one. I would just go with long travel and with the wider fenders you probibly not have to cut much to fit the tires.

To Top