1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Premium Audio Upgrade for less than $250

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bshammer0, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Apr 10, 2023 at 9:33 PM
    Nuked

Nuked Active Member

Member:
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    It really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Best mod is swapping the head unit, but that is not 250 cheap. Swapping in the Kicker tweets is probably the best bang for your buck under 250.

2. Apr 11, 2023 at 6:21 AM
    buhizkewl

buhizkewl Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD OR Blue Crush Metallic
    I actually had things reversed... forgot the front was 6x9 (why wouldn't it be? :p ) ... and I was looking at those exact speakers just shortly before I posted.

With the poor placement of the rear door speakers, now I'm toying with the idea of 6.5"-6.75" shallow mount subs in the rear doors instead of 2-ways. I just want to hear bass drums a little better, really.

3. Apr 11, 2023 at 6:34 AM
    buhizkewl

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    What (front) door speakers would you pair those kicker tweeters with, if someone was to do this in stages? I have the base Entune 3.0, so I would plan on getting an amp.

The kicker KS 6x9 components I was looking at come with tweeters ... I suppose I should look to see if there's a set without them. The thought of ending up with a spare set one day gives me option paralysis :)

4. Apr 11, 2023 at 7:05 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    The “Subaru” tweeters ARE a Kicker KS tweeter, they just have the right plug on them. But ordering from Crutchfield gets you the adapter anyways, you just have to do a little soldering/crimping yourself.

If you want to hear drums a little better, get yourself a powered 8”/10” underseat sub and call it a day.

5. Apr 11, 2023 at 7:33 AM
    Wwjvd

Wwjvd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-road 4wd

Exactly what I'm running right now.

Subaru tweeters and a self powered Kicker Hideaway 10.
    Does it bang? - No, but its substantially better than the factory 2023 system for not much money.

A great hold-me-over until I pull the trigger on a full system.

1Crusader and ZMan2k2[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Apr 11, 2023 at 1:50 PM
    buhizkewl

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I get that it's the Subie tweeter is kicker KS tweeter, but when I go to toss some 6x9 components in the front doors, sometime in the future, I'm going to be paying for another tweeter. I suppose I could buy the component set, now, and let the door woofer sit until I'm ready ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, thinking about the rear door woofers because I value the interior cubbies and under-seat storage more than bass.

Apparently I'm trying to eat my cake and have a chunky cammer sit on it, too :p

7. Apr 11, 2023 at 1:57 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    If you’re dead set on the tweeters, buying the component set makes $$ sense. You can try the rear doors, CDT makes some 6.5” woofers, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. There’s no enclosure that would work without SERIOUS modification to the interior door. The door, if you want the window to still work, is just too leaky as a space for bass. YMMV.

8. Apr 11, 2023 at 2:27 PM
    buhizkewl

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the help with my thought(less?) exercise, here. I really do appreciate it.

So, would a leaky 6.5" sub still provide "better" bass than a nice 2 way coaxial in the back doors?

9. Apr 11, 2023 at 2:39 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Possible. The 6.5” woofer “should” be designed for more excursion and lower frequencies. Power plays a role too. The more “juice” the louder it will sound. Then there’s the “point of diminishing returns”, which I don’t know where that would be, say 300w per door. Then there’s “holding it all together”, because frankly, how are you going to secure the woofer to the door with the supplies mounting screws and the plastic nuts in the door itself? I could probably come up with more, but I’ll leave that there.

10. Apr 11, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Nope.

Trying to make a sub built for a sealed enclosure work in a door will always disappoint.

11. Apr 11, 2023 at 8:40 PM
    Nuked

Nuked Active Member

Member:
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    If you never intend on putting in components, or don't mind spending the 100 bux to replace them down the road, get the Kicker tweets and call it a day.

12. Apr 12, 2023 at 4:29 AM
    fire133

fire133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2023 Red Tacoma Sport
  13. Apr 12, 2023 at 6:59 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::spending:
    Add a new H/U later, you have a nice system.

14. Apr 13, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    ULURU

ULURU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    As stated elsewhere, if you have the Premium H/U w/o JBL, the problem with the rear door speakers is NOT the factory rear door speakers, but the fact that the factory head unit doesn't deliver SAT power to the rears to drive them. You can see this for yourself right now. Sit in your truck, and fade the output to the rear. Crank the radio. Then fade to the front. The unit delivers something like 20 W to each front speaker, but only 5 W to the rear. Changing out the rear speaker is most likely a waste of money. You won't be able to notice the difference. I recommend you save your money and just do the dash tweets and the front doors. Don't forget to sound deaden the doors when you have the panels off.

MonkeyChief and fire133[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Apr 18, 2023 at 9:05 AM
    stewlis

stewlis New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Pro
  16. Apr 23, 2023 at 4:58 AM
    Banggerr

Banggerr Well-Known Member

Member:

Might sound stupid but would upgrading to the jbl head unit be worth it if I found a deal on one somebody replaced with aftermarket? And if so what is the different upgrade path? I replaced the tweeters but I only have the plus head unit

17. Apr 23, 2023 at 7:36 AM
    ULURU

ULURU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    I want to say that the JBL head unit has different wiring, and the upgrade path is different. Read back through this thread. The JBL unit has an external amp that you'll need, plus the harness that goes with it. The "Premium" unit has the amp (that makes it sound better) built into the head unit. The standard head units don't have the guts to improve the sound quality, but I think the wiring harnesses are the same (for the Premium and the Standard units.)

18. Apr 27, 2023 at 1:14 PM
    blaklabl

blaklabl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Cave Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD Off Road
    I have tried to read thru this entire thread to find an answer, but cannot. I have a 3rd Gen TRD OR w/ Premium non-JBL head unit. I did the tweeter upgrade within the first month. I have no need for a single woofer or box, but would like to replace my door speakers and the Kickers at the beginning of this post are fine for my use.

The question I have - is it even worth changing the rear door speakers if I don't intend to add an amp to increase their output? Realistically no one rides in the back seat except my dog and he's not complaining, so should I just save the $$ and do the front doors + deadening? The tweeters made an amazing difference, just looking for a little more punch/oompf from the front doors.

Thanks in advance -

Eric

19. Apr 27, 2023 at 1:33 PM
    mlr69

mlr69 I had a savings account before I joined TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" ToyTec/Eibach Pro Sport Lift Kit -SparksParts.com 3/4" ToyTec Front Top Plate Spacer Kit -SparksParts.com SPC Performance Upper Control Arms -SparksParts.com Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17 (34") -SparksParts.com 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers -SparksParts.com Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -hypertech.com Predator Tube Steps -SparksParts.com BAKFlip G2 Tonneau -SparksParts.com OEM Rubber Bed Mat -SparksParts.com OEM All-weather Floor Liners -SparksParts.com Gentex Frameless Mirror with Homelink @RJP869 Subaru/Kicker Tweeters -amazon.com Kicker Door Speakers (x4) -crutchfield.com Radio Knobs @Tacowiede Vehicle OCD Glove Box Organizer -amazon.com ‎JoyTutus Center Console Tray -amazon.com FormulaOne Pinnacle Window Tint -SparksParts.com ACDF Horn Kit @BartMaster1234 Total Tail Light S1 Kit @MESO ECT Button Relocation Kit @Tacowiede Minimalist Key Fobs @MESO Ultimate Map & Dome Lights @MESO Fortin EVO-ALL Remote Start w/Cell Module @jmeitz Coin Bucket with Lid @MESO GermesLab Camera Control System @FreshMexicanTaco Natika Front View Camera -amazon.com VLEDS LP Reverse Light System -vleds.com LIFTd Customs Fuel Cap Cradle @JIMMEISTER OEM Power Tailgate Lock -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited Grille -SparksParts.com OEM 2022 Limited LED Headlamps -SparksParts.com LED Headlight Conversion Harness @daveeasa Headlight Trim Plates @MESO OEM Door Sill Protectors -SparksParts.com Diode Dynamics Elite Fog Lights @memario1214 Fog Light Backlighting PNP Harness @daveeasa
    Unless you feel the need to have matching speakers, there's no advantage in replacing the rears - until you add an amp.

ULURU and blaklabl[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Apr 27, 2023 at 4:16 PM
    MAKtaco

MAKtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD off road
    Can you add an amp only on the rear speakers? This way I can keep my stock head unit and have rear speakers that you can hear?

NM I found the answer with a little searching. SMH

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023

Products Discussed in

To Top