1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Premium Audio Upgrade for less than $250

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bshammer0, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Oct 9, 2017 at 7:47 AM
    Gr8fl

Gr8fl Some rise, some fall, some climb.

Member:
    First Name:
    JK
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    17 Cement Pro, 20 MGM Land Cruiser
    Hence my name Gr8fl...

bshammer0[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  2. Oct 9, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    SurfratTX

SurfratTX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR Quicksand
    Yeah will be interested on your report back. I will be doing mine this week....already did the tweeters....easy enough.
    Taking apart the doors etc....not excited about that!
    Hope yours goes well....and pass on any lessons learned!

Jaggerbub[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2017 at 7:55 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    Ha! Then you and I can go far deeper than Cornell at some point! ...but with some newfound audiophiles in here I had to take the chance to open up the doors for some!

mvbartender likes this.
  4. Oct 9, 2017 at 9:14 AM
    OhioTaco68

OhioTaco68 John 3:16

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma SR5 4x4 access cab Silver Sky Metallic
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    Maybe i can add the instructions from Crutchfield here, let me try this, these are step by step easy to follow instructions for the speaker and tweeter install. Just download

Attached Files:

5. Oct 9, 2017 at 11:37 AM
    OhioTaco68

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    @Jaggerbub did you get the speakers all put in?

Jaggerbub likes this.
  6. Oct 9, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    Jaggerbub

Jaggerbub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Diamond Bar 91765
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR 4X4
    @OhioTaco68 Thanks for all your help
    @bshammerO Thanks for all your help as well...
    @SurfratTX Take your time and watch the videos. Easy peasy...

So the install is complete... Wow is the only word. Easy all around install. Just take your time and don't rush. I stopped myself twice when I started to feel overconfident... Lol... It took me 2.5 hrs going slow and being careful. Front doors came off easier than the rears. I was OCD about the cables and worried I would end up with a stuck door, but thanks to all the good advice I've read on here I was aware of any potential issues.

So to contribute to the thread, my advice would be to make sure the cables "snap" in before you HANG the door panels back on... Next "PULL ON YOUR DOOR HANDLES WHEN YOU REINSTALL THE PANELS AND PUT YOUR EARS NEXT TO THE DOOR JAMB LATCH TO HEAR IF IT'S CLICKING. IF NOT, THE CABLE IS NOT IN PLACE AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO OPEN YOUR DOOR".

Also, before the install I was trying to find a photo or video of the passenger grab handle disassembly to see what it looked like before tackling it but I could not find one, so I took a picture for those who are wondering the same. I know it sounds stupid, but for those of us non wrenchers, I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing first. Agaon, thanks to the OP and all who shared tips. Next up is the TRD pro grille...

Oh, and by the way... best part of these speakers is that my "rear differential hum @ 55 mph is completely gone... Not sure why but I can't hear it humming anymore. Lol
    20171009_084648.jpg

7. Oct 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    Jaggerbub

Jaggerbub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Diamond Bar 91765
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR 4X4
    Yes all done...

OhioTaco68[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 9, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    SurfratTX

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the info!
    I am also OCD when it comes to things like this....being an engineer and all.
    I'll be double/triple checking those door handle mechanisms to make sure I got those cables snapped/locked in!

9. Oct 9, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    DeathsArrow

DeathsArrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was bugging out when I was sound deadening the doors, didn't want to miss cutting holes for clips, mount points, electrical connections, the door lock and release cables. It was a little stressful to say the least.

10. Oct 9, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    dskakie

dskakie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Same here! I took photos before tearing everything down just in case hahaha

DeathsArrow[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 10, 2017 at 1:42 PM
    BadgerBoy

BadgerBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    17' TRDORMT (Sold); 07' FJC
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/my-17-tacoma-trdor-progression-most-of-it.673916/
    Anyone else's speakers not fit flush into the supplied brackets? From Crutchfield, also no instructions stating which set of screws to use.

1507668056588367245646.jpg
    15076681038431116032453.jpg

12. Oct 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    EPH

EPH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mission Viejo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD Sport 4x4
    Break off the inside tabs. You don’t need them and they prevent the speaker from sitting flush.

13. Oct 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM
    EPH

EPH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mission Viejo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD Sport 4x4
    Use the long screws for the front speakers and the shorter ones for the rears. The long screws will need to be angled inward to line up with the holes. Slowly screw in each screws evenly (like putting on a wheel). This will pull the speaker onto the brackets.

14. Oct 10, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    OhioTaco68

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Use a pair of pliers and break off every inside tab then your speaker will sit flush in the adapter bracket

15. Oct 10, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    SurfratTX

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    How does the 6x9 Crutchfield speaker attach to the adapter?
    I have these threaded screws with right angle plates?
    And I can only get 3 of the adapter holes to line up with the 4 speaker holes.
    38DDDAFA-E581-4272-870F-B0859A4F3C2B.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  16. Oct 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    OhioTaco68

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Use the longest screws, take those metal L clips and squeeze them over flat and then put them on underside of adapter bracket and screw the long screws through them, they will tighten up. Zoom in on my pic below to see what i mean
    Screenshot_20171010-190334.jpg

17. Oct 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    OhioTaco68

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Also, all 4 holes will not line up. You have to get about a half a hole on each one and then screw the long screws in at an angle and through clips on underside .. cant say if its right or wrong but was the only way i could get mine mounted tightly to the adapter brackets

18. Oct 10, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    methodtim

methodtim I eat a lot of salsa

Member:
    First Name:
    Umm... really?
    California
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Aftermarket radio knobs, woot!
    A million apologies but I haven't read all 39 pages (sorry sorry sorry!) -- put in my order, very excited, but kind of nervous about re-wiring the door latch as that seems to be problematic. If, say, I have a helper to hold the door, is it possible to do the install without detaching the cables? Can I just have the person hold the panel while I install the speaker or is there not enough give to the cables to allow for that?

Thanks in advance.

19. Oct 10, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    It is possible, but the door latches are really really easy to deal with...far easier than dealing with stupid wiring harness for the windows that attaches to the driver's door handle. I could not get the stupid thing to come out OR go back in very easily. lol

You actually don't have to detach the door cables from the inside door handle/lock if you don't want to. The entire lock and handle assembly can pivot so that it comes right out of the door panel while still attached to the cables. I did this by accident on one door.

20. Oct 10, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    methodtim

methodtim I eat a lot of salsa

Member:
    First Name:
    Umm... really?
    California
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Aftermarket radio knobs, woot!
    Awesome, thank you! Guess I'll just dive right in and see where fate takes me. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top