1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Premium fuel with the 2.7?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 0311K1LL, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Mar 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    greguw

greguw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Bucks County , Pa
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX450
    I was actually sepperating ethanol from gasoline last year , I was testing fuels form different gas stations , I could not believe how much crap fuel was on the maket .
    This was for most of my offroad vehicles , I have switched over to AV fuel 100LL that is low lead works great in anything with out fuel injectors or catalytic converters .
    Next year we are suppose to see a 100UL unleaded fuel will be awesome .

IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg

The scum was from a shell station near me , left to right BP , SUNOCO , SHELL , MOBILE

2. Mar 7, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    ^ What do the colors indicate? Which ones are better, in your test?

3. Mar 8, 2017 at 5:29 AM
    uwu

uwu Well-Known Member

Member:
    My top 5 distance (best mpg) tanks were all with 85 octane gas in my 2014 2.7, shhh don't tell toyota!

4. Mar 8, 2017 at 6:04 AM
    JL911

JL911 Psshh

Member:
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    I think that is what he was referring to in his post on page 3. He puts a couple drops of food coloring in. If the coloring drops stay in a droplet and sink in the gasoline then it is pure gas. If it disperses into the fuel then there is water contamination or ethanol in the fuel.

5. Mar 8, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    ExxonMobil, Chevron and BP usually have the highest levels of detergents compared to many others. Shell is another great fuel.
    My Tacoma hated 87 for years. As of now my tank has 87 octane in it from a local Exxon fuel station and it's doing well. Part of the reason the truck works well with regular unleaded is new injectors and a fuel system with a filter. I'm almost certain the original injector filters (internal filters) were plugging and the injectors could not adequately dose the fuel needed. It's amazing what a fresh set of injectors and fuel filtration can do.

6. Mar 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Coloration could be a distributor characteristic. Typically fuel sent down the pipeline is regular unleaded. At the distributor the additive package specific to a particular blend are added and then trucked to your fuel station.

7. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:06 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    Sunoaco doesn't exist where I live but you are right. If you knew what ethanol does to the environment you would be against it. That doesn't even go into the "insider traiting". The criminals that pushed the scam (I won't mention any names) forced US to pay for a "market" that shouldn't have even existed! It allowed various chemical (fertilizer) companies (and the politicians they own on both sides of the isle) to use fertilizers and pesticides that aren't allowed for "food" products. Where do you think those chemicals end up? In the water table and in your food as well as water. Yet they whine about fracking which has been done since the 1800's with NO provable detriment to the environment.

I'll add this. I'm no eco-terrorist but I know a crime when I see it. Buy ethanol free if you can just as you should buy GMO free if you can.

8. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:07 PM
    TRVLR500

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    Damn right!

9. Mar 10, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    Gasturbine

Gasturbine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 2.7l 5-speed 4WD
    32" BFG KO tires on MT rims, Front lifted 2", N-Fab 12,000lb front pull point w/10,000lb red clevis, mud flap delete, tail pipe delete, 20" LED light bar, 2 Hella 500s, N-Fab light bar mount, tinted windows.
    Youre wasting your money. There is absolutely no reason to run a higher octane fuel in an engine designed for a lower octane. Higher octane fuel actually burns slower to prevent knock in a higher compression engine, or with more timing. There is zero benefit in using it in a stock 2.7...none.

uwu likes this.
  10. Mar 10, 2017 at 9:42 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    My County dept of weights & measures does testing on all of the retail fuel dispensers for accuracy and proper functioning.
    I asked them about quality control or content analysis of the fuel products sold to the public. Here is there response:

"Good question. When our department receives a complaint from a consumer in which they feel that the gas is contaminated, we will take a sample and submit the sample to CDFA, Department of Measurement Standards (DMS). DMS handles the majority of the random samples taken. Here is a website that might help out.
    https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/dms/programs/petroleum/petInfoGuideConsumer.pdf "

CDFA is the California Department of Food & Agriculture.

So anyone complaining about "half water ARCO" should submit a complaint to the appropriate department in their area/state. Then, hopefully something will be done about it.

2.7taco likes this.
  11. Mar 16, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    greguw

greguw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Bucks County , Pa
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX450
    No one ever asks or brings up the question when fuel sticker ratings are tested by the auto manufactures . I am sure there using 100% gasoline and not the crap fuel we are forced to buy .
    Some where in there is a class action lawsuit for not declaring the type of fuel used to determine the fuel rating out come .
    I like Trump but he is clue less on how bad Ethanol really is . Was just in Detroit doing his thing , I buy a lot of new cars and trucks and it really sucks to spend all this money and have no choices at the pump but fill it with crap fuel .
    With 100% gasoline you will get 3+MPG and more power .
    My other truck is a full size diesel just more cost effective to run around in my little Tacoma which is a great truck , I would like to see a small diesel come to the Toyota line up but that will never happen .
    Nissan may put the cummins in the frontier and I would seriously consider one if they ever do that .

12. Mar 16, 2017 at 8:29 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Not sure what the rant is all about. EPA was the reason for the usage of ethanol in gasoline. It's used to oxygenate the fuel and was a replacement for MTBE. We all know ethanol is crap and causes more problems than it solves but there is a solution called isobutanol. It does not harm fuel system components and does not separate from the fuel. Marine fuels typically have isobutanol in them depending on octane rating.
    In my opinion the fuel with isobutanol is great stuff. I have ran some of this through the 2.7 and it ran great MPG gain was only about 1-2 but my Tacoma has never been fuel efficient for its size. The most I have seen throughout ownership has been 21 MPG using E10 fuels it was a bit higher with Marine fuel.
    My full size diesel is better at running fuel efficient and rides 100 times better but I still drive them and like them both.

Look into Nissan Titan with the 5.0 Cummins and you will see more complaints than anything else. The engine is beyond capable but Nissan can't build a truck to save it's life. The Frontier has a car type front end (structural components not looks). The Tacoma has a front end developed like a truck.
    Buy what you like buy I'd opt for a Cummins repower over any Nissan product.

13. Mar 16, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    In Texas USDA is responsible for fuel if memory serves me right. Testing is conducted randomly as well as scheduled. As far as making complaints for fuels that's difficult. Two years ago I had an issue with a local Valero gas station selling heavily contaminated diesel fuel. When I called the phone number to file a report they said okay accepted the report and failed to ever reply even after several attempts to contact them. The only thing that saved me was my instruments and aftermarket fuel system on my old truck. The fuel pressure to my injection pump should have been 17 PSI but was lingering low around 10 PSI. When I pulled my water separator I was pleasantly surprised with plenty of leaves and debris. One large leaf had blocked 2/3 of my water separator strainer element and caused the reduction in flow. I did purge the 32 gallons of fuel into 5 gallon bucket after swapping fuel filters. Entirely too much work to polish that fuel to a usable level.

Just an FYI fuel stations should have 10 micron filtration on the pumps but DO NOT TRUST mom and pop fuel stations to follow these rules. ExxonMobil is very strict with these rules and adheres to them.

14. Mar 16, 2017 at 12:26 PM
    greguw

greguw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Bucks County , Pa
    Vehicle:
    1996 LX450
    I had a buddy who was in the fuel tank replacement business , he sent me pictures of cut aways of 20000 gallon tanks and the algee growth pretty nasty .
    I know for a fact 90 octane ethanol free gets me a extra 2 to 3 MPG , I personal have yet to see a increase in MPG any of my gas powered vehicles using ethanol blend .
    I agree the Nissan Titan is a terd they even upgraded the trans this year to a 7 speed ... i was like why not a 8sp .
    I'm 6BT guy have built many a truck and actually have a 4bt I may dump in a old Tundra I have .
    I have been running Shell these days have not had a problem . As I said Sunoco buys what ever is the cheapest is .
    I see no benefit to high octane in these trucks , there was just bunch of hipe about fuel processors bring back 94 octane at the pump , all that is blending in more ethanol AKA over 10% that is used to raise the octane rating .

2.7taco likes this.
  15. Mar 16, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    bijick

bijick such mods much want

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Stl
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Singular Cabular Selectable
    OME 884’s ,Dakar hd’s, Jba uca, lce header, 4.88’s, Arb locker , j shift tcase-T4R, arb bumper, leer topper, 3500w inverter, mad wife, scratched paint, skid plates, snorkelerer, led flush mount reverse lights, etc..
    I never fully understood why ethanol is an additive in fuel. I've been reading about the subsidies, RFS, and crop allocation for the past hour.. I gotta say, I hate the government more everyday. Hopefully this administration will actually make some meaningful changes to the EPA. It's really depressing when I listen to news radio all day and nobody mentions what a scam this is. Instead the most pressing issue of the day is a tax receipt from 12 years ago.:boom:

CMD-KY, Hartford, JL911 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mar 16, 2017 at 6:23 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ha another 6BT guy very nice. Definitely the wrong thread to talk mechanical injected Cummins.

I agree ethanol is a problem. Look into isobutanol and see what you find.

17. Mar 16, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Another reason to stop listening to talk radio for a little bit. :D

Anyway gasoline by nature has no oxygen in it and during combustion it burns very cold. The added oxygen from the ethanol (previously MTBE) increases combustion temps and therefore cleaner combustion occurs.
    In a nutshell it's there to make the fuel burn clean.

Forced induction vehicles are not affected by lack of oxygen in the fuel compared to their naturally aspirated cousins.

18. Mar 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    MTBE was used prior. It's a heck of a carcinogen. When crappy fuel storage tanks leaked the MTBE would work it's way into the ground water and contamination of drinking water would occur. EPA put huge amounts of pressure on oil and gas industry and refineries to remove this additive from gasoline. MTBE is a byproduct of gasoline production and adds oxygen to the fuel for clean combustion. The Bush family has huge stakes in oil and gas mainly Haliburton during that time.
    EPA twisted the arms of those in power and thus you have ethanol to the rescue. Unfortunately it's more harmful than anything else. The label of energy independence during a high time of oil is absolutely ridiculous. I remember 120 dollar a barrel and big oil booming. Not sure where the title of energy independence came from.

I'm pretty sure someone made a few bucks on ethanol production.

SOSC likes this.
  19. Mar 17, 2017 at 6:51 PM
    TRVLR500

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    Everybody on the inside made millions on the ethanol scam. Including the Bush family. They made us fund a market that shouldn't ever have existed with our tax dollars. The farmers got rich, the politicians (insider traitors) got rich and we paid for it all.

I can get deathanol free so that's what I'll use unless I'm somewhere that I can't find it.

2.7taco and SOSC like this.
  20. Mar 17, 2017 at 8:06 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Its been a fight for years before ethanol existed. I remember an Exxon refinery that used to have huge tanks full of MTBE.
    Isobutanol is the next big thing it's marine approved. It has no harmful effects that ethanol has and adds oxygen to the fuel. I really need to get my Tacoma back up and running and burn off what is in the tank. Then I need to go get marine fuel or non-ethanol. There are two Bucees within driving distance that sell it.

Products Discussed in

To Top