1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Premium Gasoline: from México.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mvega1969, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Jun 16, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    For those who live in the US-MX Border, Mexican premium gasoline is providing me with a MPG gain above any expectations, from no more than 22.2 MPG on highway driving (wind behind) on US regular to 24.2 MPG on Mexican premium in city driving and 29.8 MPG in highway... verified by Scangauge II. And even better... it is $1.07 USD per gallon cheaper than USA Premium ($4.15) and about $0.86 less than USA regular it is a great deal, you better take advantage of this while it last. Even paying bridge tolls and wasting about a gallon for the trip you still saving. Make your math, 21 gallons per tank at least twice a month.

Al these numbers are for an '08 TRD Sport, DC, LB, 4x4 and a LEER cap installed.

2. Jun 16, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I have to call shens. Post up the math for us. Nothing personal, but 29MPG in a V6 DC LB is insane.

3. Jun 16, 2008 at 8:28 AM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    Those are some incredible numbers!

4. Jun 16, 2008 at 8:42 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    I'm started to save some money when I paid close to $80.00 for an almost full tank and I do live at the border, I had to take advantage of this... not to long ago... it was viceversa, people from México use to cross to fill out their tanks here in the US, not anymore. Quality? they have also new cars (and Tacomas) and they have to deal all day with it, but when we are able to measure performance and have these results I can only say WOW!.

5. Jun 16, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I'll bet they're not putting any ethanol in the fuel in Mexico which would give an extra 10 to 15% energy in the tank resulting in an equivalent boost in MPG.

6. Jun 16, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    It does not mentions that but currently there are no complains related to engine failures on Mexican cars neither on US border cars using Mexican gasoline. Let time tell...

7. Jun 16, 2008 at 9:46 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    If it's not listed on the pump it's not in there. Ethanol in the gasoline is NOT better for the life of an engine and for older vehicles too much of it can damage gaskets and hoses which is why it's limited to 10%. The ethanol was first added to U.S. fuel to reduce the amount of hydrocarbons the engine produces thus reducing smog in cities and (cough) maybe helping postpone the possibility of having the polar ice caps melt. It later became nation wide in a misguided effort to reduce our dependency on foreign oil.

8. Jun 16, 2008 at 10:00 AM
    lga571

lga571 New Member

Member:
    Just the facts , The gasoline sold in mexico is refined in texas so , the quality is the same .

I been using it for ever and never had any damage in my american made cars.

the gasoline is cheaper in mexico because it is subsidized by the mexican goverment to avoid inflation in the economy .

9. Jun 16, 2008 at 1:10 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.

Don't expect there to be any engine failures from using their gas however when the performance of your engine suffers a few thousand miles down the road because your injectors are clogged from dirty fuel and unregulated underground storage tanks and you're paying through the nose to have the injectors properly cleaned, new plugs from them being fouled then you'll wonder why you drove across the boarder for cheap gas (of which you burned a gallon just waiting in line to get back across the boarder). You get what you pay for in a lot of cases.

10. Jun 16, 2008 at 1:14 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Not so.. the quality is NOT the same... and as mentioned in my other post.. it's dumped into "dirty" storage tanks.

Fuel sold in the US has to meet certain emissions standards. Fuel sold outside the US doesn't have to meet those standards and therefore isn't refined to those standards. You'll read about this many times over when we start importing "emergency" fuel from other countries. There's currently a ban on that because the fuel is considered to be "dirty" and must be further refined to meet US standards. That extra refinement costs $$$ so the effort isn't put into it if the market it's destined for is non-US.

11. Jun 16, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    lga571

lga571 New Member

Member:
    ok ,, if you say so.

12. Jun 16, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    You are totally right, that is the main reason gasoline is that cheap, no other reason.

If you live at the border and visit the mexican border city enough to know which fuel stations are old you avoid them at all cost (because you are also right -dirty tanks-) but more more often there are new gas stations and those are the ones to target.

13. Jun 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    (cosigns) gas is cheaper in mexico i just filled up there today...premium

Products Discussed in

To Top