1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prep For Shell... Or, Is There Any?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by traceylovescamping, May 30, 2017.

1. May 30, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    traceylovescamping

traceylovescamping [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracey
    at the beach in southern california
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tacoma Access Cab
    Aluminum and Wood Belair Camper Shell
    Just ordered a camper shell from Belair Shells. It will be here in 4 weeks or so. Yea!

I'm wondering if anyone on here has done any type of prep to their trucks in anticipation of the shell besides a deep cleaning? Did you start the build on the sleeping platform and drawers, or wait till the shell was on? Should I take anything off, besides the current racks? Be mindful of keeping anything? Ect..

I know it's early to start "getting after it", but, I work a TON over the next bunch of weeks and I want to be ready to go when the call comes that she is in. Below are pics of Mighty Mini in her current state (last photo is of the coming shell) . Thanks!!

IMG_8017.jpg
    IMG_8018.jpg
    IMG_8019.jpg

C5.23073519_std.jpg

Marty491 likes this.
  2. Jul 17, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    Marty491

Marty491 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Charcoal Tacoma TRD
    Shell
    I cannot help you with the prep, but I wanted to comment on your incoming shell. We were just at Belair Shells this weekend and found this option. We are leaning against this shell since we will most likely leave the shell on all the time which would reduce my gas mileage. There is something about this look that I love though, but I'm just not sure of the benefits overall.

What made you decide to go with this one instead of one like the Pro-Top 100 (probably what we are going to get), Leer 122, or something similar?

3. Jul 19, 2017 at 7:14 AM
    traceylovescamping

traceylovescamping [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracey
    at the beach in southern california
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tacoma Access Cab
    Aluminum and Wood Belair Camper Shell

For my personal use, this was the best choice.

I got the shell for surfing and overnight camping. Wanted something with more room then what the other choices on the market offered. With the BelAir Custom I'm able to put a bed and shelve in with room to sit up straight. Plus, my boards fit inside for beach days and lock high enough off the ground for campouts. Makes the surfboards a less desirable item to steal if you have to get 8' off the ground to get them, then break the locks. Plus, I LOVE the retro look!

I just filled up the gas tank and am seeing how my mileage goes. So far, I for sure feel like the shell weighs down the truck (I have a 4cyl) and its giddy up has slowed a bit. For me, I'm fine with that. I drive like a turtle on sleeping pills, so, no worries here. I also have 90k miles on it, it's a 2006, gas costs weren't a factor in my choices. It just never gets driven that much.

Hope you find one that works for you. I am in major love with this fella!!

4. Jul 19, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Something that comes to mind is to clean and wax the portion around the rear window really well, since it'll be a lot harder to access.

Products Discussed in

To Top