1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prep of plastic center caps for paint; what kind of paint?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by Keats, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Keats

Keats [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DC LB
    I just picked up my TRD Off-Road alloy wheels the other day after having them powdercoated. I now want to paint the center caps to match. The plastic surface of the center caps is very sheen and I want whatever paint I use to adhere properly. I know Krylon makes a paint specifically for use with plastics. I hoping to find out from someone here the best way to prep and type of paint to use. I was thinking of sandblasting the caps with a light media to "rough" them up prior to paint, or maybe just some scotchbrite or light sandpaper. I'd appreciate any helpful info. Thanks, Tom

2. jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I wet sanded them first, then put rustoleum primer, then rustoleum black wheel paint.

3. Brunes

Brunes abides. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I didn't even sand mine....Just cleaned them real good with soap and water, then alcohol...Sprayed primer and then paint.

4. jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    i'm not sure if my way is safe...but my center caps of my stockers would bubble up when i painted them with krylon fusion. i held a blow dryer on low and from a distance sprayed the caps with krylon fusion and had the blow dryer on low as i was spraying. it seemed as if it dried the paint instantly.

5. Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    what are the advantages of wet sanding versus dry sanding for painting in this application? is it a dust issue? less dust when wet sanding.

6. jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Well honestly I just did it because thats what my other friends did when they did theirs. Mine are perfect imo. And i used a $2 tack cloth and wiped everything down before the primer.

7. jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    i'm sure if you wipe them down with alcohol after the sanding you will be fine
    :thumbsup:

8. phynyx38

phynyx38 Believe

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma PreRunner
    I wet sanded mine also, used dupli-color primer and wheel paint. I think they came out really well and I haven't had any problems since I painted them.

To Top