1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preparing , preparing , you're always preparing . OZ-T's "Just build the damn shop already build ".

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by OZ-T, May 16, 2020.

1. Nov 7, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T [OP] You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Had another slight set back force me to change my schedule a bit , I'll detail that later when I start installing exterior air barrier / housewrap , but I wanted to keep moving forward so I switched gears and started cutting & installing the rest of the Rockwool Comfortboard insulation baffles

2. Nov 7, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    I was thinking of OZ when I was using my hole centers...

Hadn't thought of using a forstner bit before, great idea, but I've got a drawer full on these over the years.

20201105_083313.jpg

Slashaar, CXYyuppie, POOLGUY and 2 others like this.
  3. Nov 7, 2020 at 8:50 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    :thumbsup:

Drainbung likes this.
  4. Nov 10, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Finished up all my Comfortboard 80 baffles today and installed and air sealed the square chimney support .

I left out the row of mid span blocking in the rafter bays so it would be easier to install the Comfortboard baffles . Its all pre-cut so tomorrow I will install that and send a picture to my engineer . After thats done I can move outside and install my air barrier / WRB (weather resistant barrier) and install my windows

Slashaar, SH7mi, TinoTaco and 14 others like this.
  5. Nov 13, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Got my rafter blocking installed and approved by my engineer.

Next up I'm moving outside to install my housewrap and windows.

@23Skidoo ~ you may be interested in this Risinger-speak , the rest of you may feel like you're reading a dictionary

So I mentioned I had a bit of a setback last week which I would explain later and it had to do with my air sealing strategy for my exterior .

On this building I'm using an air sealing strategy that has been championed by one of our local building inspectors who is also a building envelope engineer and energy auditor . Instead of relying on the housewrap as my primary air barrier on the outside , I'm going to be taping the exterior plywood sheathing and that will become my primary air barrier , and then when I install my housewrap WRB (weather-resistant barrier) , I will tape that as usual and it will become a redundant air barrier backing up the plywood .

Long story short , I tried to cheap out and use housewrap tape to tape the plywood seams . The tape seemed to bond well enough but I had some concerns about it being non-permeable tape . The day after I had taped all the seams we had a frost and a lot of the taped seams 'popped' , I think the moisture in the plywood froze and the tape being non permeable could not allow the moisture the pass through the tape so the moisture forced the seam apart .

I ended up ordering some SIGA tapes which is what I should have done in the first place but the price turned me off and I had to wait about a week to get them because nobody carries them local to me . In hindsight after using the SIGA tapes for the first time , this is definitely a case of you get what you pay for , these tapes are amazing .

First the scary part ~

What you see here is $600 CAD of Swiss vapour permeable air barrier tape

When I laid out my foundation , I set the framing line so that the plywood would be flush to the 1"x 1 1/2" level strip I cast in the concrete . This ledge that is formed by the level strip will serve to help support a bottom board that will carry the exterior 2" Rockwool Comfortboard80 insulation but more on that later .

Having the plywood flush to the level strip also makes air sealing this joint easy .

For this bottom seam I used 4" SIGA FENTRIM tape which required no primer to bond to the concrete and I was blown away at how well it stuck to the unprimed concrete with zero issues

I took this next picture for @23Skidoo ~ The Fentrim has a split release paper allowing you to set the top of the tape to a line and adhere it to the plywood all the way down the wall (I was doing a 34' wall by myself) and then come back and remove the bottom release paper and work the tape into the seam between the plywood and concrete and onto the concrete face with a plastic card applicator . On this wall my plywood was about 1/4" proud of the concrete and the tape easily applied to the face of the plywood , the bottom edge of the plywood and then onto the face of the concrete without any bridging . Game changer for air barrier strategy for me going forward , I highly recommend you try a roll of this stuff some time if you haven't already .

After sealing the bottom I switched to 2 1/4" SIGA WIGLUV tape for all the plywood seams and used some more 4" SIGA FENTRIM for the corners

I'll finish that up tomorrow then we can explore installing the windows when using exterior insulation

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  6. Nov 13, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    SwampYota

SwampYota Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Concord, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tacoma SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE, 5 Speed
    Floor mats
    I look at my prefab shed in complete disgust these days. This is a work of art.

Slashaar, Rupp1, 420taco and 2 others like this.
  7. Nov 14, 2020 at 4:46 AM
    CXYyuppie

CXYyuppie Sarcasm Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SE.LA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport DCSB - Cement
    Stuff with some other black things
    Your attention to detail and quality of work is amazing. I am a very particular person and your work far exceeds anything I do. Our inspectors would not have a clue on what you have going on. Very nice work!

Jester243, VE7OSR and Fargo Taco like this.
  8. Nov 19, 2020 at 5:58 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I have most of my Typar WRB installed and taped

Today I made up the exterior jamb extensions for the window rough openings . They will push the windows out to the outside plane of the 2" Comfortboard80 I'm installing on the outside of the building

Bathroom window exterior jamb extension installed

9. Nov 19, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ...^^^... Great looking work ... :thumbsup:

10. Nov 20, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Got the 6 corner window exterior jamb extensions installed today and started 'flashing' them all using Dupont Flexwrap

I need all the 6 windows that wrap the corner to align at the bottoms and heads . Back when I decided to lower the rough openings of these windows a bit , I used a rotary laser to make sure all the rough opening sills were perfectly level to each other . I made some little jigs that I screwed to the bottom sills of the rough openings that had a little 1 1/2" block on them that then allowed me to set a couple ledgers exactly 1 1/2" below the rough sills so that when I installed the jamb extensions the would all be perfectly flush . Having the ledgers also let me set the jamb extension boxes on the ledgers and clamp them to the building so I could adjust them side to side to get all the margins between the windows the same

This is basically how all the jamb extensions will be 'flashed' , using Dupont Flexwrap which is a peel & stick that is able to bend around corners so you can get a continuous wrap around inside and outside corners

https://www.dupont.com/products/dupont-flexwrap.html

After my windows are installed there will be a metal head flashing above the top window trim

11. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Finished wrapping my exterior jamb extensions today

then my wife gave me a hand and I plunked the windows in their opening (1 window was MIA on my order , will be here next week)

Slashaar, AKSig88, scocar and 12 others like this.
  12. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:16 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    I don't believe that.

Fargo Taco and CXYyuppie like this.
  13. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    CXYyuppie

CXYyuppie Sarcasm Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    SE.LA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport DCSB - Cement
    Stuff with some other black things
    My wife is my best helper. I just can't get her on the roof(afraid of heights).
    Do those windows open?

Slashaar and Drainbung like this.
  14. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I think thats her feelings on it most times too lol

15. Nov 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    the windows on either end of the gable wall set are full casement openers

one lines up with the chop saw bench in case I need to cut boards longer than 16' , the other lines up with tablesaw for same reason

Slashaar, VE7OSR, landphil and 7 others like this.
  16. Nov 22, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    that's the type of planning that distinguishes this shop from all others. Im stealing 50% of these ideas for my future shop the currently exists solely in my head.

Slashaar and Fargo Taco like this.
  17. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    PSA ~

been working on an estimate for new house build all week but back at it on the shop next week , electricians scheduled to come following Monday

robssol and EPBlueTaco like this.
  18. Dec 2, 2020 at 5:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Back at it on the shop , finished my Typar housewrap WRB , wrapped the upper window jamb extensions with Tyvek Flexwrap and installed my 2 little gable windows

I'm boxing for electrical now and will be drilling wiring routes for the electricians so probably not much photo-worthy in the next little while but we'll see what comes up

Slashaar, Pchop, 0xDEADBEEF and 6 others like this.
  19. Dec 2, 2020 at 6:24 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I suck at this and have no patience. But awesome job, @OZ-T .
    OZ-T Shop Lips.jpg

VE7OSR, OZ-T[OP] and Drainbung like this.
  20. Dec 3, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    This really makes me wish I extended my eaves more on my barn :(

Products Discussed in

To Top