1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preparing to lose a lifelong companion.

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by The Traveler, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Very sorry for you...I like poncho`s reply..
    Tobie has had a wonderful life spent with you.
    Maybe she will get better, but you said it best in the last post...(no life for a dog)
    Rainbow Bridge

2. Feb 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Thank you.

Just got back from the vets office. Her condition has improved from yesterday according to the tests, but she has been put on prednisone for a week with a follow up next weekend. Vet said anything could happen, she may walk again, she may not. I guess this buys us some more time, but I really hope she doesn't have any more pain.

yhuvydys_a3e9303a80ac42810d3a4a0087ba990d06032060.jpg

3. Feb 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    Rubio92

Rubio92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 Prerunner IMPULSE RED
    Projector Retrofit in sig LED's galore inside and out Painted black stock alloys
    I'm sorry that you have to go through any of this. Losing a fellow canine is comparable to losing a brother or sister. They're there for you when you need them to be, even when they have no idea what's going on. Spend as much time with her as you can because God knows that you love your dog more than you can bear. Hold steadfast because she wouldn't want you be sad.

4. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    My son's dog went through something simular.
    Came on sudden and he lost the use of his legs.
    It was a infection per say and I think they gave him the same drugs yours is getting.
    In about 2 weeks you couldn't tell anything was wrong.
    He lived another 3 years.
    She is a cutie and I know exactly how you are feeling.
    I wish you all the luck.
    I have seen it first hand go well....

5. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Shit man, i hope everything works out for you man, Dogs really are man's greatest companion.

6. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    916TacoTruck

916TacoTruck BallzDeep is how I go

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sactown
    Vehicle:
    Ford Raptor.
    Traded in Taco
    So sad to read this. I can't imagine the day when my pups are too old. But I always tell myself, when it's time and if there is time,to give the dog anything and everything you normally wouldn't. 14yrs is hard to part with. Good luck to your best friend. Just remember, all that mattered to your friend was you and your family.

7. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    She sure looks happy...:)
    I pray she is with you for awhile longer.

A post after my last reminded me of something my Grandma said a couple of days before she past. "Don`t be sad, You can miss me, but I don`t want you to be sad...I am ready to go..."

8. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    GTechoma

GTechoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport DCLB 4WD
    EGR inchannel vent visors, OEM bed mat, Wet Okole front and back seat covers, BFG AT's
    Hey Traveler, I am about to be in the same situation with our 15 year old Lab. She has had similar issues and we have had ups and downs for about 1.5 years now, but she is still happy and has more good days than bad. I know the time is coming any day, and I will cry like a baby when it does, but in the end, I don't want her to suffer, just like you said earlier.

You, your family, and your sweet dog are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope the best for everyone over the next few weeks.

9. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    ivoryaddict

ivoryaddict Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD offroad MGM DCSB
    Custom Headache Rack, BAMF Kick-out sliders with fill plate Level Kit, ARB bumper, Warn Winch Ruff Tuff Digital Camo Seat Covers Fuel 16" Boost Wheels Duratrac 285/75/16 X-tra D-Rings in Bed
    Traveler, sorry you're going through this difficult time. Sounds as if you have a big heart for your pets. As others have said, this is a tough time. It took me years to shake off the loss of my prize pooch. Rudyard Kipling's poem, "The Power of the Dog" really encapsulates moments such as yours. Prayers to you brother.

THE POWER OF THE DOG

Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    But when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and sisters I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie--
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.
    When the fourteen years that nature permits
    Are closing in asthma or tumors or fits
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers, or loaded guns.
    Then you will find--its your own affair
    But--you've given your heart to a dog to tear.
    When the body that lived at your single will
    When the whimper of welcome is stilled (how still!)
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
    You still discover how much you care
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear.
    We've sorrow enough in the natural way
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we've kept 'em the more do we grieve;
    For when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short time loan is as bad as a long--
    So why in Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

10. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    I remember when my Golden went through this phase, it kinda happens fast at the end...I cried the whole day before and after putting him down, at least I got 13 years with the best friend I ever had...

Don't know if I will get another, I am just too much of a wanderer in my retirement, many places I can not take a dog in my travels...

Prayers for you and yours...

11. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Beautiful poem...and thanks for the kind words everybody. They really do mean a lot, and I know from the last time I posted in this section, it really does help me and family get through it, no matter what the outcome.

I know I'm on borrowed time right now, so I'm spending every minute with her. The hardest part is knowing that she does not feel ill, or as if anything is wrong. I can't bring myself to make the ultimate decision knowing she's currently ok, she just can't get up or move around. Even then, she's wagging her tail and smiling and begging for treats (which I'm giving her plenty of now).

It's tough, but the more I'm in the situation, the easier it's getting to accept the inevitable. She lived a terrific 14 years. By my side on all our camping trips, road trips, park visits, in the garage watching us work on the vehicles, and always hurrying to the door when I got home each night.

I have thousands of photos of her from 1 hour after she was born, to 1 hour ago. I think I'm going to make some sort of project or shrine for the house in memory of all these years. She deserves it and much more.

Thanks again, guys. You don't know how much it helps to read your personal stories and know that my TW family is behind us.

12. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    ivoryaddict

ivoryaddict Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD offroad MGM DCSB
    Custom Headache Rack, BAMF Kick-out sliders with fill plate Level Kit, ARB bumper, Warn Winch Ruff Tuff Digital Camo Seat Covers Fuel 16" Boost Wheels Duratrac 285/75/16 X-tra D-Rings in Bed
    Man, what a tough time. We put my wife's rat terrier down because both optical lenses detached. She was young but in great pain and blind. Your situation sucks. :(:pray:

13. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
  14. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Matt, this is really an easy situation for you & family to make, I know that statement sounds wrong but hear me out please...

A few years ago we had to put our Weimaraner Lexy down due to cancer that spread thru her like wildfire, but before that condition deteriated to that decision,she was pretty much happy go lucky as she was earlier in life, & although you could see the tumors developing & growing, as long as she was still eating, drinking, going to the bathroom on her own , relatively pain free & still in good spirits we chose to let her live her life as she had, we just made sure to keep a good eye on her for signs that she no longer "care" for herself & measured her quality of life in good days/ bad days & when bad days were out numbering the good & all the signs mentioned pointed to an end-of-life scenario, thats when the decision was made. & like I said it was easy to make that call based on the facts in front of us, but in no way was it easy to follow thru with the decision once its made, I cried like a baby while I held her as the medication took hold & peacefully let her go as she fell limp in my arms...( Damn, gotta lump in my throat right now dude)

But it was def. the right thing to do at the right time, just my .02 brother.... Good looking pup too BTW

15. Feb 2, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    ToyComa84

ToyComa84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt(hew)
    "flatland"
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner sr5
    plasti dipped wheel caps,
    Let's all pray for the best. sounds like you're somewhat prepared for the worst. Wish u and ur dog the best :) gr8 pics of ur dog. at least you've been blessed this far. Sometimes some things in life look very bleak, but something happens for the better.

16. Feb 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    AgMechTacoma

AgMechTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Simpsonville/Clemson, SC
    -Fat Bob's Garage Leveling kit -DIY Satoshi Grill -Hella 500 driving lights -BHLM -Black Stock wheels -Reclining Bench Seat Mod -Black Badges -Removed Secondary Filter & Intake Resonator -Hard Wired GPS -DIY Skid Plate -Rear Differential Breather Mod -Sylvania 894 Reverse Light Mod
    I'm sorry to hear that. It's always hard to loose a pet. It's almost like they become a part of you. Prednisone can work wonders though. We had a cat that basically lived off the stuff for a few years. He had some kind of digestive tract cancer.

17. Feb 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. Means a ton.

Doug, I totally understand and that's how I would go about it myself. I tend to be a logical guy, so unfortunately that's how I would go about the decision myself.

If only these damn editions
    emotions could get out of the way

18. Feb 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    good luck bud.

i adopted a 11 year old dog that was about to be put down at the shelter. best decision ever, but man..i know our time together is short.

that golden looks adorable..tough call.

19. Feb 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    chri

chri Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Arkansauce
    Vehicle:
    Too Stock
    OME 887, Dakar HD, Icon delta joint UCA, method roosts, BFG KO2s at 285/70/17 Alu Cab canopy
    Prayers man, I'm dreading the day myself. Like ponchosportal said "if it doesn't hurt in the end, it wasn't worth it". Your pup was there for you, be there for it! All the best to you guys

20. Oct 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    So I'm reviving this thread...

Tobie lived a wonderful life on vet prescribed prednisone after her last episode in February. She was able to walk again, and eat, and play, and go to the bathroom without issue.

The last few days, she has had trouble getting up and standing. The hind legs are giving out, and her overall demeanor seems like she's in pain or suffering, even on prednisone.

Today, she hasn't been able to keep any food down, and she's had diarrhea. After 14 long years of life, 9 months on a daily steroid medication, and now without her mobility and being this sick, it just seems like our borrowed time has finally run out. As a family, we've come to the decision that she cannot live like this, and this pain and suffering needs to end. We've made an appointment this weekend for her to be euthanized, but we will still be monitoring her behavior for the next two days to see if she improves at all.

As of now, things don't look good for the ol' girl, but this time around, unlike the others, it really feels like it's time for her. I can just see it in the way she looks at me, she's no longer enjoying life anymore. The tail doesn't wag, and she didn't even get up to acknowledge me when I got home from work this evening.

Sorry to bring up this thread again, but a lot of nice people in here chimed in on the situation and I thought they deserved to hear the latest.

Thanks again, TW. You guys are a great support system.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
To Top