1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prerunner 4wd/sas conversion

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SC_Taco, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mar 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    SC_Taco

SC_Taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    3" Toytec lift, 33" BFG all-terrains, black powder coated toyota 5 stars, safari bar, 2 KC slimlights, 5% tint all around
    this is my first post and i have a few questions. i have a 2004 tacoma prerunner sr5 trd and i want to make it 4wd. i know this has been done but i just have a few random questions before i cut the front of my truck off. i want to a all pro solid axle swap, the complete taco supreme sas kit, put arb lockers front and rear. my question is the sas should be the same as it is on a factory 4wd since the trucks are basicly the same right?

now the other questions...
    1) Where can i find a factory tacoma transfer case?
    2) what is the best year and such to look for?
    3) would it be easier to just change out the trans and transfer case to a factory 4wd unit.

Any help will be appreciated, im sure there is a wealth on knowledge on this site

2. Mar 25, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I break out the :popcorn: for SAS talk! :D

3. Mar 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    Sell your truck and buy a 4x4 Tacoma. It will be quicker and easier

4. Mar 25, 2009 at 11:26 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    Sounds like an awesome project you have planned!

I would think that it would be "easier" to do a tranny and tansfercase swap, since all the parts are together. As for specific years, to my knowledge they're the same from 95.5 on through to 04, but don't quote me on it. Chris4x4 might have some good information for you (he's the best and brightest we've got), but I would post this thread on TTORA and see what you get. I don't know of anybody else that has the SAS on this site. :rolleyes:

Good luck! I want to see this bad boy when you're done!

5. Mar 26, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Granted it's an '05, but Wyatt and Jason have SAS'd a 1st gen...

The Beast

Here's the Baby Beast...

6. Mar 26, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Get on TTORA and look in the classified section as well as pirate4x4's classified section for the tranny/ Tcase. Someone correct me if I am wrong but you'll need a 4x4 tranny with a matching t case I think any 1st gen taco would do. Could also look for a wrecked truck for a donor.

Also look for a 84/85 toyota front axle, they are stronger. You'll need a driveline and a tom woods would be a good choice. Also you'll need to rebuild said axle, look at some http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/ Also think about lockers elocker or arb or a lockright. And a high steer setup.

This should get you started.

Not sure what is in the all pro SAS kit.

7. Mar 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    SC_Taco

SC_Taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    3" Toytec lift, 33" BFG all-terrains, black powder coated toyota 5 stars, safari bar, 2 KC slimlights, 5% tint all around
    the all pro system is a hybrid d60 axle and a coilover 3 link set up. it come with all the brackets and bolt needed and the lift is adjustable from 4-7" i think, then just set the rear to match, and im planning on ARB lockers front and rear with 5.29 or 4.88 gears

8. Mar 26, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Damn thats alot of coin for that set up, you can buy a built rig for less than that. But that coilover setup would be great to have.

9. Mar 26, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    if you do go with the 79-85 toyota axle u will need to get a 79-95 toyota transfercase because the thirdmember is on the passenger side as the tacos is on the driverside
    the 79-85 axle swap would be way cheeper than buying a d60/hybrid axle swap
    but if i were u id sell the taco and buy a older yota that already has the solid axle and put a lift and bigger tires on it but thats just me

10. Mar 26, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    good catch I forgot about the t-case change.

11. Mar 26, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    and 1.5 wheel spacers too
    forgot that