1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PreRunner as an Expo Rig?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChamYota, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Oct 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Must be snowing in Workman's neck of the woods......to cold to go outside?

2. Oct 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Leoffensive

Leoffensive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 prerunner TRD sport
    Icon 2.5 coilovers with resi, Custom OMD rear leaf pack, Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Magnaflow muffler

fo sho.

well then you have made this thread WAY in advance haha

3. Oct 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    A company called TJM builds an ARB styled bumper out of aluminum. TJM is also an Aussie company. Might be worth a look.

4. Oct 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Hmm.. I'll have to look at more places than i originally thought

This is way off in the distant future but i figured i'd ask anyway for those out in the TW universe who have the same questions as I but just dont post the questions.

:p

frankiejr likes this.
  5. Oct 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Workman

Workman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    :wave:
    Nah, Workman went out this AM to help his buddy fill his elk tag. No luck there, but there is about 30in of snow above 9000ft in Workman's neck of the woods. 4x4 was a MUST today, and last week was the first time that Workman needed more than just 4x4 to get through a few mile section of straight clay/mud. If it wasn't for his locker, Workman would have been stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead deer in the back of the tacoma!

tpotnoc likes this.
  6. Oct 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Well then, good to hear you got out of there in one piece lol

7. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Just buy a 4x4.

8. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    No type of explanation? You've done nothing but raise your post count mate. Lol

9. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    madhatter45

madhatter45 Active Member

Member:
    What do you consider the 'distant' future? 1 year, 3 years, 5?
    I have to agree with the concept of form following function. Think about each mod, what benifit it provides, how often you'll use it, and how much it costs.
    Given what you've said your intended use is, I'd prioratize like this:
    - Tires. Good ATs and your locker will get you where you want to go.
    - Camping set up.... A cap on the bed maybe? Keeps your gear dry and gives a place to sleep.
    - Place for spare fuel/tires/ basic tools/ camping gear.
    - Lights. Gotta see where you're going and light up the camp.
    - Underbody armor. Protect the vitals.
    - Front bumper and winch. Keep it lightweight.

10. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    it depends on where you want to go OP.
    Hard wheeling places in loose stuff, you would want 4x4.
    places across vaaaaast flatlands, you should be fine in 2wd
    but being that it's an expo rig, IMO, I'd want 4x4 because expo rigs don't always go out with other rigs, getting stuck with 2wd would be a pain in the ass alone, especially if there's no place to winch out of

11. Oct 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Red= done. BFG At's Rear Locker
    Everything else will have to weighted to see if it's best for me.

Im hoping for flat lands... o.o

The winch thing will have to be sorted out as well

:anonymous: so much to dooo dodo

12. Nov 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    kbraunphoto

kbraunphoto mountain bike haulin' & off camping

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '15 Inferno Orange TRD Pro
    Just a few expensive & DIY things...
    Ya know I am in this same place OP, here on the East coast you wont find too much stuff like the west has, but we've got a good mix of everything.
    I am a few years ahead of you, (27) but have the same thoughts, I've coe to the conclusion as these guys have said, build for what you currently do and add to itonce you feel it is necessary.
    I'm waiting until my factory tires are worn down and I run into a situation where I need an upgrade.
    Under body armor
    Light weight bumpers
    WINCH
    Bed roof rack, depends on how much gear you have or if you plan on being the exit vehicle
    Did I mention a winch....

I was all like oh I need stage 1 Icons and Arb bumpers and blah blah, it looks sick as hell but turns your truck into a less functioning rig.

Pre runners!!! learn to love your truck and test its abilities.

Have you even been in a situation to use your locker?

Have fun and rubber side down!

WoodsomeYota likes this.
  13. Nov 21, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    I've climbed steep hills using the locker just to climb it, I've backed into a ditch lol and i used it there and got out without a hitch.

Im really at the point in life where i shouldnt be looking for the next mod, im in college and money is not squirting out of the ground. I want to go on trips, expedition-like trips and then graduate eventually(if need be) to the more serious type builds, I just want fx-r retros(lighting) and get started for the "stage 1" part of my build. College-getting the money for my mods is my first step.

14. Nov 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
    Go for it OP.

IMO most of the equipment on "expo" style trucks is geared toward either self vehicle recovery, or making camp more comfortable, not necessarily making the truck more capable offroad. I see no problem in adding recovery gear, sliders, winches, tents and awnings, lights etc. to a 2wd truck. Whatever you think you need to make you more safe and comfortable out there is fine by me. And if it looks cool too, so be it, we would all be lying if we didnt say we didnt want our trucks to look cool too.

frankiejr likes this.
  15. Nov 21, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Your first mod should be 4x4. The more weight you add the less likely you will be to make it through in 2 wd even with locker.
    If you not planning desert racing then Expo rig out of pre-runner is really for show.
    Yes there is girl wetness factor in build up rigs but it quickly runs out when your rig is stuck in 2 inches of sand.
    Couple years ago had to save young lad on the trip with his smoking hot girlfriend which was wearing t-shirt two sizes to small. His 2 wd 6 inch lifted, armored expo truck was stuck on the hill climb and buried itself to the axle. With no trees to winch out he would have have been there for a while. he was little upset after I pulled him out because his girl was more interested in my truck then his. My wife was quick to point out I am married with kids but you get the point. :D

16. Nov 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    He speaks the truth. :D

17. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    I'll have to take 4x4 as a real possibility when you put it that way. I didnt think i'd need it but it's better to have it and not need it then vice-versa.

18. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Armor is good for any type of off roading. You can get body damage riding old forest trails just as you can rock crawling. Approach angles and departure angles still come into play, its still easy to get hung up, and there is always stuff that you don't necesary want smashing into your undercarriage on the trail. If you actually take your truck to the woods and use it, not reason not to protect it, 4x4 or 2wd.

If you don't plan to take your truck more off road than a well maintained dirt road to a campsite, then armor and snorkels become irrelevant.

I'd like a snorkel because I do find myself in deep water in FL. A lot of the trails out here have gravel lined water crossings, so you can find yourself in deep water and be fine even in 2wd unlocked. The snorkel definitly would make me feel more comfortable in any amount of water.

19. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    As of right now, I want to go beyond a maintained road that even cars can move about on easily, I just think the order of the mods that I want need to be in a certain order, depending on the amount of money/time that i have to spend into my truck.

So will i run into water crossings? Perhaps,Rocks? most likely in order to go where I want to go on that particular trip. I just need to sort out the mod side of it so i dont waste money elsewhere.

20. Sep 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top