1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prerunner to manual 4x4 conversion!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Gnarlyshredder, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Jul 9, 2016 at 12:56 AM
    Gnarlyshredder

Gnarlyshredder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner
    Suspension: Bilstein front/rear 5100's (set at 3" lift) Eibach front coil springs 620lb Toytec 2" add-a-leafs Wheels/Tires: Pro Comp 7069 Series Alloy Wheels 285/75/15r General Grabber AT2s
    So its finally happening, after many months of searching craigslist and reading forums, I bought a frame with all the necessary parts for the conversion. Only problem is the extent of wrenching on my truck is installing a suspension lift kit, so at the end of this conversion I'm either going to have a sick 4x4 truck, or a heap of metal.

Oh and another problem my truck isn't passing its smog test right now. Well everything is passing except for a dumb catalytic monitor which is reading as "Not ready". Anyone that has had the same issue will know how annoying this is. So I need to take care of that and schedule an appointment with the smog referee guy before I start my conversion, and of course they're closed on the weekends.
    So who knows how long until I actually can begin.

So on to the conversion. I picked up the frame a couple days ago and have stripped it of all necessary parts, which are currently sitting in my side yard. (If anyone needs a 1st gen frame in SoCal for cheap hit me up). Unfortunately I was unable to get manual locking hubs, so I will be attempting to alter Toyota's ADD locking system by clamping the shift fork in the ADD assembly so it is permanently locked in the engaged position, allowing me to shift into 4wd whenever I please. Please correct me if I am wrong, in which I will have to cry and rethink my whole life.

I'm sure I will run into many issues, but hopefully I will be able to find the solution with the help of the forums and anyone who chooses to follow this build.

Any advice from those of you who have done this conversion, or those of you who are just smart would be greatly appreciated.

Also, even though I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm thinking about making a video series for YouTube of the conversion as nothing like that really exists. If I decide to I will provide links to my channel.

Thanks and enjoy!
    (May be a week or two before I actually start, but I'm just getting this thread started)

Lfaub03 and TashcomerTexas like this.
  2. Jul 9, 2016 at 1:14 AM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    In. Good luck!:fingerscrossed:

:popcorn:

3. Jul 9, 2016 at 7:53 AM
    04rktaco

04rktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    California City, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '04 4x4 xtra cab 4x4 TRD. 2014 Tundra crewmax TRD 4x4
    All Pro UCAs King coil-overs All Pro rear springs Modified All Pro Bumpers. Home made skids and sliders. Lefty 4.7 transfer case. Stock e locker rear stock 4:10's Tundra Brakes 285/75/16 Falcon Wildpeak AT3W stock wheels with 1.25 spacers BAMF lca skids. 2014 Tundra crewmax TRD 4x4 5.7 v-8 with leather interior. RCI Metalworks full set aluminum skidplates All Pro rock sliders
    If the add system is working properly it will shift in and out of 4wd anytime below 60 mph. No need to lock the shift fork in 4wd. Add cv's are a bit stronger than manual hub cv's too so added benefit. Good luck on your build and welcome to the 4x4 side.

4. Jul 9, 2016 at 2:03 PM
    pray4surf

pray4surf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner conv to 4x4
    F&R suspension, OBA, Custom bed rack, RTT, rear frame plates, 4x4 conversion from prerunner, many other
    Good luck. Converted mine a few years ago...

Sub'd

5. Aug 4, 2016 at 11:14 AM
    Gnarlyshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner
    Suspension: Bilstein front/rear 5100's (set at 3" lift) Eibach front coil springs 620lb Toytec 2" add-a-leafs Wheels/Tires: Pro Comp 7069 Series Alloy Wheels 285/75/15r General Grabber AT2s
    Okay so a week or two ago I installed the diff and cv assemblies, and have been driving with a disconnected differential. The past two days I have been working on dropping the transmission, and should be dropping it today. Being someone who has never done anything on trucks before except installing my lift kit, its been quite the project for me. I have taken lots of footage of the whole project using my GoPro and will eventually compile it into a couple videos for your enjoyment. After dropping my transmission, its just a matter of installing my clutch kit, clutch pedal assembly, and then putting in the manual 4x4 transmission. Looking at it that way is sounds pretty easy...anyways stay tuned for videos of the project. And hopefully everything actually works once its all in:fingerscrossed:

6. Aug 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM
    Gnarlyshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner
    Also, in case anyone was wondering, it took replacing both my O2 sensors and about 1000 miles to get my catalytic monitor to reset allowing my to finally pass smog. Don't take it to the Toyota dealer either if you have issues, they wanted to charge me $750 to change the O2 sensors just to start out...something I did in under an hour for $200 :mad: They had no idea what to do in regards to resetting the monitor. Seems like they would be able to manually reset them, guess not. Now I will just have to deal with the check engine light that will come on after this conversion:thumbsup:

7. Aug 5, 2016 at 4:42 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Good luck!

Unfortunately you'll have to find a way to get that taken care of eventually, in CA if you have a CEL on you automatically fail the smog inspection.

8. Aug 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM
    bellassaiw10

bellassaiw10 Formally afroman5015

Member:
    Currituck NC
    Vehicle:
    09 LMM 2500HD Duramax
    I permanately engaged my ADD when I did my swap. Just figured out which pins and supplied 12V to it to lock it in. Ive got the diagram somewhere on here if you need it to see which pins to use.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  9. Aug 6, 2016 at 9:16 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
  10. Aug 6, 2016 at 9:20 PM
    Nicklovin

Nicklovin Mall Crawlin Through Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    I'll definately be watching this :D
    I've considered a conversion for a while now :spy:

11. Aug 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM
    Lfaub03

Lfaub03 4wd wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner TRD
    4wd conversion
    I'm also in SoCal coincidentally, looking to do a 4x4 conversion sometime in the next few years.

Looking forward to this, I sense potential! :thumbsup:

12. Aug 8, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    frenchee

frenchee Favorite Member

Member:
    Oceanside CA Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4
    Converted to 4WD DD VW MK6 TDI
    Nice man its not too bad.
    I just finished mine up last week.
    How the hell did you get that whole frame haha.
    I had to piece everything out so took a while and lotta compatibility research.
    If you got any questions I might be able to help but you have everything so should have no issues.

13. Sep 2, 2016 at 11:01 AM
    Gnarlyshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1999 Prerunner
    Okay so I'm done...kinda
    I've been pretty busy with school starting and stuff but here's the rundown.

Grab your popcorn and get ready for story time:popcorn:

Somethings went smoothly, others not so much
    The clutch pedal assembly was kind of a pain to lineup and drill, but wasn't too bad, just tedious. The installation of the clutch went well, or at least I thought it did...

Here's where MISTAKE #1 happens: When putting the new tranny in it went in till about a 1/4 inch of so, so I thought may as well just stick the bolts in and use them to bring the tranny to the engine. Never ever, ever do this it means something isn't properly aligned and you're just going to f**k things up.

So after I got the tranny in the clutch start switch wiring was kinda difficult until I actually understood what I had to do and it was easy after that. So now I put in the clutch, turn the truck on, go to shift into first and...nothing. It wouldn't shift into gear with the truck running. I wasn't too discouraged at this point yet, and after doing some research determined it was a hydraulic problem.

So went ahead and got a new slave and master cylinder, and had to bend a hydraulic line, bled them and... nothing. So I spent a week of trying every bleeding method known to man and still... nothing. At this point I was getting pretty frustrated, but I still had the will power to take the tranny back out to see if anything is wrong, and this is where things get even better.

So keep in mind MISTAKE #1... I go take my tranny out thinking it should be easy as I've already done it once before, I get all the hardware and stuff out with in 30 minutes and start to pull it. Well, it would only come out enough so that the flywheel could be seen, but no further as it was stuck on something. So I thought the engine and transmission weren't at the same level so I spend a day messing with heights and nothing, same stuck as before. And I try it again the next day... still nothing. After some research I determined that the pilot bearing was stuck on the input shaft...how could this ever happen?

To get is out I got some larger bolts and nuts, stuck the nuts in between the bell housing and engine, and began threading the bolts through the nuts so the bolts would press against the engine and slowly puss the bearing off. With tightening 4 bolts little by little I'm sure you can guess this took a longgggg time. Finally pop it off, buy a new bearing, test fit it, and it still doesn't fit. So I sand the inside of the bearing and the input shaft until I get a nice smooth fit and put everything back on.

Well the problem should be solved now right? I should turn on my car and shift right into gear now right? Nope. The same exact problem as before. I was defeated. I had failed. I didn't have the will power nor the time to keep trying to fix something I didn't know how to fix. My pride, my honor, gone as I picked up my phone and called AAA to tow my car to a mechanic, a metaphorical tear running down my face as I watch my truck being towed away.:(

You're about to learn about MISTAKE #2

The next day I get a call, "Your truck is done."
    "Already wow cool what was wrong??"
    "You didn't screw in the six pressure plate bolts enough, there was still about a 1/4 inch gap between the plate and disk."
    "..."
    :censored::annoyed:

Sometimes learning the hard way means paying $525 to have some guy tighten down six bolts for you.

Shit happens, I figure I'll make that money back by never having to pay for clutch work again..

So now I have a manual truck and its awesome. Its been quite fun learning how to drive manual (started last night, already driving pretty fine today). Its pretty ghetto right now as you'll see in the pictures in the bottom but I can drive it at least.

I said it was kinda done because I still have to hook up the tranny-differential drive shaft and some 4x4 wiring. Also need to hook up a new spedo cable, the back up lights, the 4x4 indicator cable, and make the wiring nice and pretty.

All that being said I'm super stoked on actually doing this and don't regret anything. I went from pretty much knowing nothing to knowing whole bunch about how my truck runs and I would highly reccomend anyone thinking about this to do it. It feels awesome after accomplishing something like this.

Basic Things to Know:
    -Try to to your research so you know all the problems than may arise before they arise, it took me so long because I had to research each problem as they came up, but that also was due to lack of experience/knowledge

-A lot of the bolts and hardware are slightly different from auto to manual, for example three of the bell housing bolts are longer on the manual tranny. I must have made at least seven trips to Toyota to grab missing bolts, and its a pain in the ass to figure out the exact bolts you need, so try to get all mounting hardware when you get your parts

-The wiring isn't as bad as you think, just grab a wiring diagram for your year and match wire number/colors. If you need help on this feel free to contact me.

-This will probably take A LOT longer than you think, especially if you're inexperienced like me. Make sure you have a second form of transportation or be prepared to be on house arrest.

-Try not to get too frustrated about something, there is always a reason it doesn't work.

STAY TUNED!!! I've got many plans for my truck that I will be posting about that you guys will probably find interesting.
    Also, I do have most of this conversion on video on my GoPro... I don't know how well it all came out but when I actually complete everything and get the time I will be compiling everything into videos.
    image2.jpgI've been waiting forever to stick on my built not bought sticker:bananadance:
    image1.jpgimage4.jpgI've got a little bit of clean up to do still..
    image3.jpg

Lfaub03 and SOMDTACO like this.
  14. Sep 2, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    frenchee

frenchee Favorite Member

Member:
    Oceanside CA Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4
    Converted to 4WD DD VW MK6 TDI
    Very cool man!
    Reading your struggles brought back some feelings from days where I felt completely defeated wrenching on the car.
    Strong feelings haha.
    You know you kicked yourself in the foot when you found out about those 6 bolts but hey, thats why they are professionals and were not. They do it for a living. They have failed many more times than we have. Some people say "Its not worth it", "just buy it" but they dont have the passion for learning.

Installing the hubs, front differential and such is pretty simple. Good luck man. Ask me if you got any qustions I might be able to answer.

Products Discussed in

To Top