1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pressurized Automatic Touchless Carwashes - Good or Bad for Taco?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TruKnight, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Aug 31, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    I couldnt find it mentioned elsewhere, but im wondering if those pressurized automatic touchless car washes are good or bad for us? Ive read about the questionable paint jobs we get, so I have concerns, and I dont wanna go through one and come out with half my color blasted off hehe. I live in an apartment complex atm so home washing is out of the question, and im not gonna run a hose out a window and downstairs either, so my options are abit limited. My only other options would be wating until it rains and rushing outside with a sponge or a manual car wash type place. Id like to hear some feedback about this first from you all so I can make an informed choice. =)

2. Aug 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    after hearing on here and then realizing myself how weak the paint is on these, i would avoid that. i mean if you even look at the paint job the wrong way it will flake off, lol. your situation sucks, but there are probably some places around that do it manually, i know some around here do, or maybe you can find a friend/family member that has a place you can wash it, or even a teenager (who you trust) that you can pay cheap to do it...that's all i can think of. but bottom line, i wouldn't after realized how toyota cheaped out on our paint

3. Aug 31, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I've run mine through about 1 per month since I got it june 09. No issues. You can also go to a pay-self-wash place. They're usually relatively inexpensive (about $5 or less per wash).

4. Sep 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP Double Cab Long Bed
    Too many mods to list
    Everytime I entered my cars in any automatic washing place, wether it was tourchless or not, the paint looked pretty dull after 1 or 2 washes. Id stay off these if you want your paint to shine and last.

5. Sep 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM
    808TRDTaco10

808TRDTaco10 Black Sand Mirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island--->Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    10 AC TRD OR 4x4 BSP; 08 Reg Cab 5 spd 4x4
    TRD Off Road 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Load Range C | Toytec Ultimate Lift with Emu Dakar Leaf Packs | 3* Axle Shims, CB Drop, Sway Bar Relocates | AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bugshield | Scangauge II | Smoked Eagle Eyes Ebay LED Tails | Wet Okole Seat Covers | Weather Tech Floor Liners | Pop n Lock | OEM Bed Mat | Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover | TRD Cat Back Exhaust | Aftermarket Alarm System | Pro Coat "Electronic Rustproofing"
    Yeah I would also say to avoid those automatic car washes if at all possible. If our trucks were painted well then maybe it would be alright but since the paint is so weak it would probably be a bad idea considering what could go wrong. :eek:

6. Sep 1, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    RCBS

RCBS "Cause I'm mighty proud of that ragged old flag."

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    06 Main Runner OR
    it's the "prewash" that dulls and strips wax...usually alkaline base. i use them occasionally, but still prefer to hand wash with bucket and sponge.

7. Sep 1, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    There isn't a thing wrong with it.I use one in winter all the time.No factory paint job is so shitty that you can't use a touchless car wash !

8. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:02 AM
    swendling12

swendling12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg Cab SR5 4 cyl 5spd 4x4
    I run my 09 through a touchless wash every time I fill up with gas, I also try to hand wash about once a month. The touchless washes are good for getting dirt/grit/road salt/bird crap/bugs off before hand washing, and to just get the worst of it off until you can have enough time to do a detail.

9. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD V6 SR5
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Front Bilstein 5100's set to 1.75, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 265/75/R16 tires, Black WeatherTech Floor Liners, aFe Pro Dry S air filter, lighted 4x4 switch......
    I never use automatic car washes. I think the high pressure strips your wax off.

10. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    I use one every other week! the truck looks great. I'xe done this with my Escape for 7 years and have never had a problem. I wax it in the spring and fall

11. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab SR5
    Nothing at the moment
    We use the touchless car washes for our white cruisers. They do alright getting the surface dirt off, but you can see that they don't get all the dirt off. I prefer the old bucket and sponge approach, but like someone else said, in the winter I will take mine to the car wash to get the salt and crap off from time to time and haven't had any problems.

12. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    In the summer, I bucket wash. But in the winter, I use the touchless, and sometimes as much as twice a week. My 2007 still looks great:

[​IMG]

13. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Summer I use a bucket, and in the Winter I use a bucket. But if it snows, then I go and use a touch-less. Because usually in that case it is to cold and I want the salt out from under my car! This will be my first winter with the car, so I will let you know how it looks in may :D

14. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I hate the touchless washes, they never get it clean. I always use the "touch" carwashes, they are far better

15. Sep 1, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    The touch washes are better however they have A LOT higher risk of leaving scratches and swirl marks in your paint. Think of all the people who drive through those on a regular basis and the dirt and debris that can get stuck to the brushes and flaps. A lot higher risk of scratches than your home bucket which if you rinse it out everytime you use it should have little to no dirt and debris, therefor less risk of scratching and swirl marks.

I run my truck through the touchless in the winter time sometimes. I mostly wash with a bucket and washmit though.

16. Sep 1, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    Tacoma's have cheap paint? Mine looks great.

17. Sep 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I went with the self serve pressure place and kept my distance. I did a soap cycle, two washes, then a wax there and some detailing at home with a wet and dry sham wow to clean off the water spots.

I havent washed a car manually in years, but I think it came out pretty well. Pics below for second opinions tho:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found my first chip today too, passenger side door, its tiny, but its there. Really glad I didnt use the automatic high pressure wash now since I saw that. Gonna see if I can touch it up somehow. =(

[​IMG]

To Top