1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam gears for V6. Add power AND mpg

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by mightytacoman, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    Darkgoatracer

Darkgoatracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 trd sport tacoma
    Stock
    literally opened my box, set the treats aside for 2 seconds while looking at the gears and my dog snatched them up and ate them. Paper and all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. Apr 9, 2020 at 5:52 PM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    Got mine today! :thumbsup:

3. Apr 11, 2020 at 10:06 PM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    Got my cam gears installed! Took me a super long time because I struggled with some wire harnesses and then trying to get those new gears on. I'm glad I bought the offset 17mm tool. Not sure if I could have broken the bolts loose without them. I used them to torque my cam bolts too. I used this calculator: https://belknaptools.com/extensions-calculator/ to figure out what to set my torque wrench to.

Initial drive, the power stays more consistent when I mash on the pedal from 60 to 90. I'm glad I was able to take out the my MAF spacer. It leaked air and low speed driving sucked. Now, things are much better. I have a AFE intake and plenum spacer, stock exhaust. Thanks so much for selling these!

4. Apr 12, 2020 at 5:13 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman [OP] Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Thanks for the review buddy! Keep us posted, would like to hear your thoughts after another week of driving or so

5. Apr 12, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    Saechao503

Saechao503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Khae
    troutdale oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma dc trd offroad
    I got my cam gears from urd. Was thinking of doing them myself but not sure if I should or not. I don't want to fuck anything up and mess up the timing. From what I've been reading from you guys seems straight forward just take your time and have a full day to work on it.

Was thinking of taking it to a shop but I might end up doing it myself. I've done a head gasket befor a older Tacoma and everything else but since it's a new truck I just don't want to go I. There taking this apart and messing it up.

How easy is it? Should I replace all new valve cover gasket? Also it looks like the intake manifold needs to come out. Do I need to remove the spark plugs to crank the engine to line up the timing or can I just get away without taking them out? I have full skid plates and don't want to remove the bottom skid plate to get to the crank bolt.

6. Apr 12, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    ebuyaer2002

ebuyaer2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 6 Speed
    RC 6" lift, icon coilovers, DK uppers, URD intake, DT Longtube Headers, Cam gears, 70mm throttle body, Custom Tuned with HPTuners

7. Apr 12, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    yositoco

yositoco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a stock set of gears for sale.

8. Apr 12, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...

My truck didn't seem like it relearned anything after the install, I could feel the difference right after the installation and it didn't change since.

mightytacoman[OP] and Torspd like this.
  9. Apr 13, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB

The spark plugs don't need to come out. I took mine out since they were due to be changed. Turning the crank with them in and without took the same amount of effort. I tried both.

Other things to note: my painted links were not lined up with the divot in my cam gear. It didn't matter how many times I rotated the crank. I used nail polish to mark the link after lining the timing marks up.

I didn't remove my skid plate, but I gave it serious thought after turning the crank from above. I have a long handled craftsman 1/2" socket wrench that I used. Even then, it was challenging. If you have someone that can watch the timing marks while you're underneath and cranking, that would probably be the best.

If you want to save a couple hundred, I would suggest doing it yourself. Getting to the cam gears is the most time consuming part.

Watch the video in the first post to see how to get the gear off and on. That helped me a lot.

Saechao503[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 13, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    smelly621

smelly621 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRDOR 6MT
    It's DLX son!
    There is a mark on the crank pulley for top dead center, line that up and half the time the cam gears will be lined up, for what it's worth.

If you're supercharged, between removing the blower belt and ease of turning the crank it is worth pulling the fan and shroud.

nudavinci64 likes this.
  11. Apr 13, 2020 at 9:26 PM
    Saechao503

Member:
    First Name:
    Khae
    troutdale oregon
    Vehicle:
    Probably going to do it this weekend. Planning on taking the whole day. I still gotta go get my gaskets still. So when reinstalling the new one as long as the new cam gear teeth lines up with the same link that it came off of right?

12. Apr 13, 2020 at 9:33 PM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    Yes, but getting it pointing upwards at the timing mark makes it a lot easier to put it back together. Also, you'll need a 22mm socket for the crank pulley bolt. I tried doing it without getting the timing marks to line up and I wasted a lot of time with it. It takes maybe 10 minutes to get the timing marks lined up, so I would suggest doing that.

I forgot to mention that I didn't disconnect the battery. I didn't really see the need and if you do, it takes a few cranks to get it started up. I figured I'd rather know for sure if I missed something instead of assuming it wasn't starting because of the disconnected battery.

Saechao503[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 13, 2020 at 9:34 PM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    also, use a pencil to mark the cam gear. Sharpies don't show up all.

Saechao503 likes this.
  14. Apr 13, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    Saechao503

Member:
    First Name:
    Khae
    troutdale oregon
    Vehicle:
    I was gonna use a paint pen. So I can get it from the top correct without having to remove the skid plate cranking the engine over?

mcharfauros likes this.
  15. Apr 14, 2020 at 4:26 AM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    As long as you have a long handled socket wrench.

16. Apr 14, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...

Iirc, I found it easier to crank the crank from below because of less crap in the way.

TireFire likes this.
  17. Apr 14, 2020 at 2:21 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Ditto, dropping the skid takes only a minute and then you have an unobstructed view of the timing marks at the crank pulley

deeezy[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 14, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    No argument there. But he asked if it could be done from the top and it can. Having to remove 2 skid plates if you have the oem plus the trd aluminum plates can be a chore.

Thuguon2.7 and deeezy[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Apr 14, 2020 at 11:36 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:

Yes, I totally forgot about being able to see those marks.

Thuguon2.7 likes this.
  20. Apr 15, 2020 at 11:00 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I cheat when I have to align mine. One person watching, and me bumping the engine with the fuel pump relay out. Super quick. Very little oil spills over and out.

Paint pen, or sharpie. Got to wipe the links down with break clean first.

To Top