1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Price for 2.7 clutch replacement is...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Maintenance Man, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-runner SR5 2.7L
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    Anyone replace a clutch on 2.7 2nd generation? If so, any idea on how much it will cost?

2. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
  3. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    Maintenance Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    I'll probably do it myself, I've got a Haynes repair manuel, and the tools.

4. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    There was a guy selling a centerforce clutch for the 2.7 in the b/s/t. Not sure if they're any good, but it was at a good price. He listed it twice on ebay, I'm not sure if it sold or not.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    I have run Center Force clutches on my last two trucks, and they are definitely better than any other OEM equivalent replacement. You won't need the HD one (had that in my first truck), and I preferred just their OEM equivalent.

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    Maintenance Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, gives me a starting point. Never had to change a clutch before.

7. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    If you've never had it done before, here are some tips/things learned from experience:
    -in my Ford (not sure how it is on the Tacomas), the slave cylinder and throwout bearing were both inside the bell housing; change both while you have it out
    -bleeding the new slave might take some time, invest in a Mity-Vac bleeder
    -have the flywheel machined somewhere; ask how much they took off; you need to buy a shim in that amount to place behind the flywheel to account for the material taken off (I thought with a hydraulic clutch you could skip this step as it would self adjust, but I didn't on the Ford on the first two and they didn't last long because of this, lesson learned)
    -to re-tourque the flywheel, you might need a flywheel holding tool (I got mine from a Mac tool dealer), I needed it on my Yukon, but on my Ford I was able to wedge a long screwdriver into the teeth and bell housing
    -depending on how heavy the transmission is, and if you have a willing buddy, you might not need a transmission jack; on my Explorer, I had a buddy lift (think bicep curl) it up with a strap sitting in the cab while I went underneath and slid the input shaft into the flywheel; on the GMC, it was too damn heavy and had to buy a jack
    -the bolts from the bell housing to engine are probably different lengths, so pay attention to that
    -plan for more time than you think it will take; the first one took me a couple weeks in the evenings wrestling everything, whereas now I can do a clutch in about 5 hours

Good luck. Keep us posted.

8. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    FYI, The slave cylinder is mounted on the outside of the bell housing. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top