1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pricing an early Toyota - Help please

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by dhurley, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    dhurley

dhurley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    I'm looking at buying an older Toyota truck and can't find any pricing guides that go back that far online (KBB, NADA, Edmunds). The following is all the information I know.

1981 Toyota Truck
    4x4 solid front axle
    4 speed manual
    new clutch
    new brakes
    new battery
    115,000 miles
    2 owners
    new stereo & speakers ($300)
    paint faded on roof
    a little rust on the bottom of the rear quarter panels

They are asking $3000 obo.

I'm going to check it out closer either tomorrow or Sunday & could use some advice. Thanks

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    loaderman82

loaderman82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Flippin, AR
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off-Road
    Don't really know what it is worth, but that don't sound too bad to me if the body is in good condition (besides the rusted panels). If it was me, I would do some research on the web and get a general idea of what they are going for. I would search Ebay, Craigslist, AutoTrader, Cars.com, and all over the web. I know there has to be some comparable trucks out there somewhere! Good Luck!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    A 30 year-old truck normally is worth nothing as far as the books are concerned. This truck is unique in having low milage - only 3800 miles per year on average. See if you can get details on how it was maintained. Was it put in long-term storage? How often was the oil changed while in storage? etc. etc.

4. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    dhurley

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    First owner used it on their ranch and the second as a daily driver to construction sites or for bad weather. I've found a couple on Autotrader.com that have much better body conditions for +/- $500 so I should be able to talk them down some. All depends on how long they want to hold on to it to get their asking price.

5. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    Price is high, this could be a very expensive project, if seals are dried out. But it is up to you!

6. Jan 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    "OLYMPIC VIEW"

"OLYMPIC VIEW" Well-Known Member

Member:
    WHIDBEY ISLAND, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT D/C LB...1987 SR-5 4WD XCAB
    Agreed...maybe $1500- max if it is in good condition...also the 20R had it's share of issues over the years after it was put out...the 22R and 22-RE which was introduced as it's replacement proved to be a far better designed in-line 4...good luck with it!!

7. Jan 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    In the Portland area that truck would go for $4,000 easy on CL. If the frame is good and the T-case, axels, and engine look fine without any leaks ect then yeah $3000 is pretty good given its a solid front axel!

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    dhurley

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    [quote="OLYMPIC VIEW";2605656]Agreed...maybe $1500- max if it is in good condition...also the 20R had it's share of issues over the years after it was put out...the 22R and 22-RE which was introduced as it's replacement proved to be a far better designed in-line 4...good luck with it!![/quote]
    Looks like 1981 (which is what I'm looking at) was the first year of the 22R motor.

Products Discussed in

To Top