1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PrInSu Design Studio Roof Racks BS Thread

Discussion in 'PrInSu Design Studio' started by zscott, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I don't need the front one. ;)

2. Feb 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    zscott

zscott [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Alright we'll no problem then. On side note I just went out and put the modified topper rack on my truck cause the numbers weren't making sense. At the highest point on the roof the top of the crossbars are 2.25" off the roof, about 1.5" between the bottom of the bar and the top of the shell. My roof top tent has channels that are between .75 and 1" deep so my floor of my RTT sits about 3-3.25 " above the shell. And that aligns with the rack on the topper.

3. Feb 27, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4

Also, yes the height is the same as the steel rack. It will be slightly less because the crossbars are smaller but everything essentially the same.

As for the powder coat, they have a textured finish but I haven't inquired more about it but I would imagine it is a wrinkle texture as that seems to be pretty typical.

4. Feb 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    ndcmack

ndcmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
    Sub'd...want to see wind deflector and possible light bar installs with this. Bad ass OP

5. Feb 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    The rain here has discouraged me from getting the complete install of these racks done on my truck. That and waiting for a few more parts to show up. However, my sisters in law and nieces/nephews came to visit and our small apartment has been a jungle. To keep the kids occupied, I had them help me put the rack for the topper together and then let them walk across it to test out the deflection of the bars. I was very impressed and finally installed a bunch of bars to really test the weight. In the picture there are 10 bars installed. I tested it with less and had similar results with minimal deflection when the weight is evenly distributed. The girls are all pretty thin but my wife's 2 sisters are both about 6'. If you allocate a very generous 100 pounds to each girl and 20 pounds to each kid, there is easily 400 pounds on the rack. If I were to get specific weights of all the kids and the girls it would probably come closer to 550 and with ten bars there was no visible deflection.

IMG_3836_zps2c41a59e_27e40a1d0c59b9a505234c79369dedf2b363e90b.jpg

6. Feb 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Is that the rack for the cap?

7. Feb 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Yes it is. Never mind :facepalm:

8. Feb 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Damn , just seeing this thread now , looks great !

9. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Thanks! I am pretty excited about these. Wish it would quit raining so I could go out and get mine installed.

10. Feb 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    Pushincaskets

Pushincaskets Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DCSB
    4" Maxtrac Spindles, Dakars and extra leaf, SOS Concepts bed rack, Lund tonneau cover, RTT,
    I'm interested in powder coating, is there any chance the coating will make the T slots tight? I use profile a lot and know some hardware is tight was wondering if this might make it difficult.

Mike

11. Feb 28, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    motionridr8

motionridr8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Merrimack, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB
    5100's/886's/JBA UCAs, ICON RXT Rears, US Offroad Bumper
    short answer is maybe. depends on what coating thickness the powder coater uses or was told to use. 80/20 is available coated from the manufacturer, so it obviously can be done, but a 3rd party would just have to be aware that a heavy application of powder coat will cause problems.

now if we could get these racks anodized, that'd be ideal :cool:

12. Feb 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Depending on which tnuts are used and how thick the powder coat is I can see it being a possible issue. The the slide in tnuts are the tightest fitting but the ones I have still have enough play that I am not super worried. The drop in tnuts are even looser fitting and the roll in ones are similar. With either of those I don't see it being a problem. Hardware can vary between manufacturers as do powder coatings so it is hard to be certain from case to case. With a really tight fitting slide In tnut and a really thick powder coating you would probably have a difficult time.

13. Feb 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Hopefully they will start offering more profiles in anodized black. Right now they are limited.

14. Mar 1, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Added som pictures of the Black Oxide finished hardware in the OP. 3 more sets of rails for the cab available from the first sheet.

15. Mar 1, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    A little update on the rack for the topper. I finally got sick of waiting on the rain and went out and mounted the prototype on my truck. I will be saving up to get this one powder coated so I am just leaving it bare aluminum for now.

The rack has three "feet" on each side to mount. I don't have all the thule nuts that I need yet to use them all but the the front and rear feet on both sides are locked in. With those feet mounted it is held on by 8 bolts, when it is finalized it will have 12. It is very solid. I removed 2 bars from the previous picture I had posted and decided to go with 8.

I can grab it and shake as hard as I can and the entire truck moves. Really I am quite pleased with how it is working out. On a side note I was walking into the restaurant for dinner tonight and saw a Tacoma with a tonneau and thule rails. I hadn't thought of it yet but these racks would also work well on a hard tonneau for those that are running that setup.

I will get some pictures up of the rack installed tomorrow providing the weather is decent.

16. Mar 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Can't wait to see it. :popcorn:

Forgot to go measure my rails today. :eek:

17. Mar 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    What type of topper do you have? And does it have the honeycomb section that is thicker?

18. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Leer 100XQ
    Yes, it is factory reinforced for the Thule rail system. (500lb. load rating IIR)

Here is the current RTT setup:

[​IMG]

Obviously you can see why your rack system intrigues me. ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  19. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Yeah yours is probably going to be pretty close to what mine is. Mine are about 38" apart in the rear and 39" in the front and sit right on the reinforced section. The standard height would put your tent about 3.25" above the roof like I had previously stated but there is room to get it lower after looking at it installed today. Maybe I will throw my tent up and get you some pics with it installed tomorrow.

Is the angled thing in front of the tent a permanent defelctor? If so how has it worked? I am concerned about carrying my tent on the roof as last year it was always on the bed rack and the shell is new to me.

20. Mar 1, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    The fairing is not permanent at all! :laughing:
    I have a write up on the project in my build thread - it's 100% removable with 4 3/8" stainless steel carriage bolts and wing nuts. (no tools required to install)
    I drove from Moab UT to Las Vegas NV to Philly PA with that sucker on the top of my truck. I felt every little wind gust!:(
    After I built it I drove 5 1/2hrs one way to a meet in central Va and it makes a BIG difference! You know it's up there but it does not feel like your catching the wind and being held back.
    I wouldn't go anywhere with the tent on without the fairing now.

Products Discussed in

To Top