1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PrInSu Design Studio Roof Racks BS Thread

Discussion in 'PrInSu Design Studio' started by zscott, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Aug 28, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    zscott

zscott [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    I don't have a way to do an actual test to give a scientific number. The rack is not going to be the limiting factor though. Anything that should reasonably I up there and still allow your vehicle to operate normally will be fine. I have carried 350+ lbs of steel on mine with no problem. Roof top tents are fine. 100 lb kayaks/canoes, spare tires, no one has complained of issues as long as they are smart and distribute the load.

2. Aug 28, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    jteerlink

jteerlink Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SLC, Utah
    Vehicle:
    FJ Cruiser TRD Edition 2007
    From Zach's website: "Weight capacity of the racks varies based on the number of crossbars used and their configuration. We expect all consumers to use good judgement and common sense with the loads they plan to carry using these rack systems. The Caprac is limited by the weight capacity of the topper. Please consult the manufacturer of your topper for guidelines and capacities regagarding the load capacity of your individual topper"

Distribution of weight is key, as for mine, the weight limit of the rack isn't as important as is my rig's "top-heavy" limit while on the trail.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. Aug 28, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Ditto, Even with just a rooftop tent, I have noticed the extra weight on some trails that have off camber areas.

4. Aug 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had a couple questions,
    1. Are the stainless fasteners phillips head? Since you seem very open to suggestions, I would recommend hex, or even better, torx. Stainless bolts (18-8 and 316) are relatively weak (about 4 times weaker than steel cap screws). This makes them easy to strip out.

2. You may find anodizing significantly cheaper than powdercoat, and less effort since the coating is this enough you don't have to mask off tapped holes.

3. As mentioned earlier, stainless and aluminum have a galvanic reaction (seizing). They are relatively far apart on the galvanic scale and that's what determines how much interaction they will have. Zinc plated fasteners, while they can rust a small amount, are really the best choice. They are also cheaper and far stronger.
    http://www.nstcenter.biz/writeImages/NavyCommunityAppExtShipCathodicProtection2.gif

4. I have an access cab, with the shark fin antenna. If I mount a crossbar all the way to the rear, will it be behind (and above) that antenna? I am trying to get the longest platform I can. I'm guessing I'll need to source the riv-nuts?

Source: Used to design(CAD) and assemble all sorts of devices.

5. Aug 30, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    NateMob

NateMob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    South Ogden
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    Triple Locked
    Were you able to get any photos of the 3rd gen rack or are we all waiting for it to get to GSP?

6. Aug 30, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    Triumphdog

Triumphdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Big Sur, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRDOR
    I changed out all my black bolts and washer that came with the rack for hex head stainless bolts, flat washer and locking washer. I bought everything from Fastenal and paid close to $100 for all stainless hardware. I coated all the bolt threads with wax from my local sheet metal shop, and used a rubber washer between the flat washer and aluminum.
    The bolts the the rack came with started rusting two days after I mounted it on my truck. I do live less than a mile from the ocean which must be the culprit.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  7. Aug 31, 2014 at 12:23 AM
    Lil'Taco

Lil'Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel, Coil Bucket Gussets, Spindle Gussets, LCA Cam Gussets, Glassworks 4" fenders, B.A.M.F. rock sliders with fill plates, Decked Drawer system, aFe CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, Blitzpro 21S LED light bar w/ B.A.M.F. behind the grill light bar mount, Red Label Off-road tube bumper, Redline hood struts, Grillcraft grill, Weather Tech floor mats, HID headlights and fog lights... It has more stuff done to it now.
    Hey Zach, do you think you will be designing and producing those side mounted LED light bar mounts any time soon?

8. Aug 31, 2014 at 3:55 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    I was thinking of tapping the hole up for 1/4-20(or 28) heli-coil... that way if the helicoil siezes to the rack, the screw will still come out ok.

just depends if the bars have a thick enough wall.

9. Aug 31, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wouldn't bother, just throw some antisieze on the threads.

10. Aug 31, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    i'll see when my crossbars come in. I live and work near beaches, so I have a much higher chance of corrosion than most.

seems like every other day I'm spending way too much time keeping the machines at work clean

11. Aug 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Wow, this is the first time a roof rack gave me a boner!

sub'ed.

12. Sep 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    remery829

remery829 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD Offroad
    Some stupid expensive stuff
    Message sent!

13. Sep 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albuqerque
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts,arb twin air compressor, 4.88's, Tepui kukenam, Pelfreybilt bed rack and rear high clearance with swing out, and custom offroad bodywork
    I have been looking for a roof rack and I am glad I just stumbled upon this. I will be placing an order soon.

14. Sep 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    J0HN_R1

J0HN_R1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75" FR, Deaver 1.5" TSB leafs RR, SpiderTrax 1" spacers, custom LED interior & bed lights, 2005 4Runner Sport 17" wheels powder coated satin black
    That's basically the answer I was looking for. I was hoping it wasn't the same (anemic) 100lb rating I've heard the factory unit is rated for...

And I do happen to be one of the lucky few (it seems, these days) to have been blessed with common sense. The items you listed are most of the same items I'd be looking to load onto it.

Thanks again, John
    :)

Jfunkysax likes this.
  15. Sep 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    Just got an email that caprac rails are ready for pickup. Tried a different cutter and the turn around time was super fast. These will be instock near the end of the week.

16. Sep 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM
    gathaway

gathaway TRD Overland

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab
    6in. ProComp Lift 35in. Tires
    Will probably be making an order for a cabrac soon. Can't wait!

17. Sep 5, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Cab rack assembled. :cool:

[​IMG]

18. Sep 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    Cod Tac Oma

Cod Tac Oma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    California
    Im interested in the double cab roof rack but don't want to bolt to my roof.

19. Sep 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    You don't have to drill or modify your roof. There are factory mounting holes on the roof already that these racks bolt to.

20. Sep 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches

Products Discussed in

To Top