1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pro brewer. New tacoma owner.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BeerGuy, Jan 25, 2011.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 4banger
    It's a tough life.

2. korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch
    Little update on that first batch of beer we brewed. We just hosted a homebrew and dinner party at our place this past weekend with about 14 friends who all have either been brewing beer and ciders for a few years or those who like us have recently gotten into it. The Pale we brewed was a great hit! I had really been enjoying it, but it was great seeing everyone else enjoy it as well! My favorite of the night was by far my buddy's Ruination IPA Clone though, no surprise since i'm a Stone fanboy...

Soon to come Black IPA (sitting in secondary waiting for dry hop and bottling) and a Red we brewed just before the party on saturday. This is quickly getting addicting

3. TRDBen

TRDBen Mall Crawler of the Year

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 4 Door TRD V6
    Front Window Tint KYB Monomax Shocks Blue Dome Light Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    Welcome to TW, your guy's beer is awesome!

4. Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Breaks, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I find an ice cold beer in a hot shower just before work is awsome. It it just me?

5. Frobozz

Frobozz Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD/OR Access Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
    Thank you for Ruination Ale.

Just saw this forum myself. I don't do as much home brewing anymore, but have been doing it since the mid-70's. Still do small, 5 gal, batches ... sometimes all-grain, but not so much lately... getting lazy. I have several 5 gal kegs and have tried to make a Ruination Ale clone, but have failed to make anything as good.

6. Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Oceanside
    Vehicle:
    14 Super White TRD TX Baja
    Supercharged
    normally bumping an old thread is frowned upon, but when it involves BEER....who cares and the fact that it's Stone Brewing...Woo Hoo..!!

7. Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    BeerGuy,

If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me how to get into the brewing business? Is it a fairly rewarding career path? I graduated a year and a half ago with a construction management degree and as we all know the economy has taken its tole on the industry and I am assessing other options at this point.

8. BeerGuy

BeerGuy [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 4banger
    Well, the craft beer industry is exploding right now so there are definitely plenty of jobs. There are a few things though, most jobs are entry level. Experience is everything in this industry. If you want a good brewing job you will need to put a few years as an assistant somewhere. There are brewing schools and they definitely help, I went to Siebel Institute, but you won't get a job as a brewmaster straight out of school. Another thing is that most job openings get swamped with applications because everybody wants to be a brewer. You'll need something to help you stand out (brewing school, extensive homebrewing experience, volunteering at a brewery). Finally, pay is pretty low at the entry level. Like I said, hundreds of people apply for brewing jobs and some of them will work for next to nothing because brewing is their dream job. That drives the pay scale down. My recommendation is to approach brewing openings as a professional, and not as a fan. Good luck. :cheers:

[​IMG]

9. Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler

I appreciate all of the incite. I am actually off to Stone Brewery for my first time in about 20 minutes :woot:

10. neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    ^^^^^ Enjoy! and take PICS!

To Top