1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem, cant stop on a hard turn...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Razorecko, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jun 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    This bugs the crap out of me and I can't figure it out. I have a toytec ulk and 285's on fj trd's. When i'm turning at full crank right and start braking the traction control goes off and it feels like abs is going nuts and it takes me like 10ft to stop the whole time. It's like either something is locking or the abs is going nuts and keeping me from actually stopping by doing its abs control dance.

2. Jun 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    What are you doing that you would need to lock up your brakes at full turn?

Frank

3. Jun 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    hard braking and full lock turn = rollover

be careful

it could also be that your tires have little lateral traction.

4. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I prob worded it wrong. For example today I was going up an uphill driveway entrance into a parking lot. I had the spaces to the right of the entrance open so when I went up the entrance I locked my wheel full to the right to turn into a spot. Right before I am about to straighten out into the spot I start braking down speed and than everything locks and I cant brake.

5. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    so everything locks... the brakes lock or the steering... I'm still lost or stupid. post a video

6. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    There's been some posts on here about having to recalibrate the stability control system after a lift/tire size change. That's all I know, I don't have a lift or stability control on mine.

7. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Ploof

Ploof Active Member

Member:
    Useless Bay WA
    Vehicle:
    Like a Big Wheel with one extra wheel
    Nothing yet just dirt, and less rubber on the tires
    My '04 Frontier used to do stuff like this hard braking on dry pavement in a turn would produce the same results. This '04 of mine also used to lock out brakes in some kinda ABS glitch in very slick conditions. I met a couple other folks with 2WD Frontiers that would do this, some not. If I wasn't such a lazy ass I would have had it looked into.

First time I figured out this Frontier had this problem I was making a quick U turn across a 4 lane, and ended up hoping a curb into a gas station. I was so stoked I didn't plow threw a pump.
    My '11 DCLB definitely plays nice with the brakes. You should check out recalls, and crap like that.

8. Jun 4, 2012 at 1:41 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    How fast are you going that it takes 10 feet to stop?

Frank

9. Jun 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    you need to go have your VSC re-calibrated. some people have problems with it post lift, and some dont. i didnt on my 2011, but it shouldnt be anything for the dealer to re-calibrate it.

10. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:37 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I think I have had the same kind of issues as the OP and I have a 3' lift with 33's.

Last time the brakes did something weird, I was hauling ass on a downhill freeway on ramp and trying to brake at the curve and it was like the brake pedal was pulsating and pushing up against my foot and wasn't really doing shit at slowing the truck down at all. Thank Christ there was nobody in front of me.

I have also had the same thing pulling into parking spots a few times.

If you have never expierenced it, it can scare the shit out of you, especially flying on an on ramp. Also in normal 2WD I get that damn traction control beeping BS when I go around turns sometimes.

Personally I hate all the lame high tech shit they put into cars nowadays. Guess I should buy a sportbike soon before they end up passing that anti lock brake law for manufacturers.

Anybody seen that car that actually stops for you if you're too retarded to use your review mirror when you back up? That would be great if you get stuck on traintracks and the a hole in front and the other behind you don't move. Or how about you're at a stoplight and about to get carjacked. If there is somebody stopped in front of you at the light, a bad guy just need stand behind the car, while his buddy puts a gun to your head.

Bleh I'm freakin' so tired.

11. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:48 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    You fool! Don't you know that the more ABC XYZ they put on there, the faster you can go? You don't have to worry about knowing how to really drive, and nothing bad will ever happen to you either. Plus it makes em sell faster too.

:turtleride:

Products Discussed in

To Top