1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem during UCA removal. Ideas?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by drjohnson36, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Dec 5, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    drjohnson36

drjohnson36 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    Me and my friends were trying to install a pair of LR UCAs on my truck. We finished the drivers side without a hitch, but on the passenger side we reached a bit of a predicament.

The bolt that connects the stock UCA to the spindle is tapered. We got the nut off, but the bolt is still stuck in the spindle. We removed the sway bar link and tried a hammer, penetrating oil, and even wedging a breaker bar between the stock UCA and the spindle. Nothing broke it free. Anyone have any farfetched ideas to get it free?

2. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Got pics?

3. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    drjohnson36

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    We put the tire back on. If we don't think of any miracle ideas within the next hour, we're just gonna put it on a flatbed and have a shop press it out.

This is the best pic I could get. This happened last night so we put all the tools away.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/51713/size/big/cat/500

The bolt is the one on top of the spindle, linking the UCA to it. There is no nut on there presently.

4. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Go to auto zone and see if they rent/loan a pulley puller- like this one:
    [​IMG]

Worked like a charm for me....

5. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    Put the nut back on. Leave it backed out a few turns from tight. Jack up under the LCA to load up spring. Wack the UCA right at the spindle with a steel hammer. That should unseat it. You could also try a pickle fork but they usually f's up the ball joint boot.

6. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    drjohnson36

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    Already tried banging the UCA and the bolt with a hammer. We also wedged a large breaker bar in between the spindle and the UCA to try and wedge it free. All that did was shake the truck. The pickle fork would essentially do the same thing.

How does this pulley puller thing work?

7. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Uhh....The pointy part in the middle goes on the end of the bolt you need to push out....the grip hooks on the sides go around the spindle lip. There is a head on the spike in the middle for a wrench....Tighten it up and it'll push the bolt out.

8. Dec 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    Would another jack underneath the lower control arm help? I think thats how I got mine free when doing it?

9. Dec 5, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Go and buy a pitman puller, that will come off in 5 minutes tops with it.
    Same thing happened to me and that bolt would not move no matter what I did. I bought a puller and it came if very easily.

10. Dec 5, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    X2 on the pitman puller. CanadianBoy gave me the same advise. I went a bought on and had them both disconnected in 3mins. Its worth it.

11. Dec 5, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    choptop

choptop Molōn labe!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner TEP
    Can also use a Ford tool (BFH), just make sure to protect the threads. I've used the castle nut, put on upside down- flush with the bold end, hit upward on the nut with the BFH. Might take 2 or 3 whacks but it'll pop.

12. Dec 5, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    get a bigger hammer,knock the tee livin snot out of it.

13. Dec 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    drjohnson36

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    So the winner was steel hammer to the side of the bolt

14. Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    take a wood splitting wedge and hammer it in between the uca and kingpin. Dont hit the side of the bolt.

15. Dec 5, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    oh you in LA... no wood splitting wedge for you...

Like said before take the castle nut and screw it on upside down...not tight, and hammer on that so you dont f the threads. MAP gas could be your friend too.

You could hammer on the side of the kingpin to try to break the taper loose

16. Dec 8, 2009 at 4:34 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Why would you care about the threads on the ball joint? Don't all LR UCAs come with new ball joints like mine did? I think I'll try the puller thing if mine resist that much. The upper ball joints haven't really been in there that long so maybe they'll come out easierish.

edit - guessing all LR UCAs do not come with ball joints based upon further reading in a few different threads.

17. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    They should but theres no reason to ruin a perfectly good uca ball joint just because you have a new one...i guess im just anal...im a pack rat too :notsure: Im always think like hmmm ill hang onto this just in case i want to put the truck back to stock

18. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    drjohnson36

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    My LR UCAs came with ball joints :confused:

The hammer to the side of the bolt is what ended up getting it out

19. Dec 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I packrat like that too. I won't ruin it on purpose....unless it forces me too. I actually already have the puller so I'll go with that before beating the shit out of the old ones.

20. Dec 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I just used the pulley puller posted above to remove the LR UCAs from the spindle and it worked great! The tool was $29 at Advance Auto. I was going to take it to a local shop today to have the UCAs removed for $150 so this little guy saved me $120!

Products Discussed in

To Top