1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PROBLEM SOLVED - The LED Headlights "Glare-Guard MOD"

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Wile, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Nov 5, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    adanfon

adanfon YNWA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adán
    Hanford, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    Nice, thanks!

2. Nov 11, 2015 at 5:47 PM
    cmartinez95

cmartinez95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 TSS DCab 4x4
    2.0 SAWS, 2.0 Icon Rear Shocks, 1.5" Icon AAL, USOFFROAD Winch Mount, Warn M8000S, HID Retrofit Headlights, Custom made sliders, Fab Fours rear bumper, LED Fogs, Heated Mirrors, Auto Dimming rear view with temp and compass, BAMF antenna mounts, LED Interior lighting and Undercover SE Tonnea.
    Any update on this? Is your order still processing or did you receive these already?

3. Nov 13, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    TRDProBuddy

TRDProBuddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD (Kent Island)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro (Inferno)
    I received them but been working a lot so have not had a chance to install them. I also have a new rear view mirror with home link, auto dim, compass, & temp. And a bed light kit to install.

cmartinez95 likes this.
  4. Nov 15, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    Anyone use the OPT7 H11 headlight bulbs in the fog lights or just their regular cree fog light bulb?

5. Nov 16, 2015 at 8:22 AM
    cmartinez95

cmartinez95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2014 TSS DCab 4x4
    2.0 SAWS, 2.0 Icon Rear Shocks, 1.5" Icon AAL, USOFFROAD Winch Mount, Warn M8000S, HID Retrofit Headlights, Custom made sliders, Fab Fours rear bumper, LED Fogs, Heated Mirrors, Auto Dimming rear view with temp and compass, BAMF antenna mounts, LED Interior lighting and Undercover SE Tonnea.
    I got impatient and ordered a set of the philips LED bulbs. Once I get them in I'll swap my headlights to see how they compare to my HID's. Hope to have them before thanksgiving so I can work on this over the long weekend.

6. Nov 23, 2015 at 3:58 PM
    TRD-Merchant_Marine

TRD-Merchant_Marine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    I ordered the Phillips led headlight bulbs. Received them in about 4 days via FedEx. I installed them and let me tell y'all these are awesome so far. I piped them in and nothing else completely plug and play the cut off is perfect without any tweaking to the stock alignment. Nice and bright plus they match in temperature to the rest of my leds up front. $215 shipped well spent.

BillsSR5 and Wile[OP] like this.
  7. Nov 24, 2015 at 1:00 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    In all reality I have the opt7 led now and I do not have that much glare but it could be the design difference in the headlight holder. Maybe the newer ones go back farther or something but I still plan on doing the glare guard mod to get the nice crisp cutoff from the light.

8. Nov 24, 2015 at 1:00 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    In all reality I have the opt7 led now and I do not have that much glare but it could be the design difference in the headlight holder. Maybe the newer ones go back farther or something but I still plan on doing the glare guard mod to get the nice crisp cutoff from the light.

9. Nov 24, 2015 at 7:28 AM
    Wile

Wile [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    2 months, over 7000 miles (roundtrip from NM to NH and back) and still NOT hi-beamed once!

burntkat likes this.
  10. Nov 27, 2015 at 8:21 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    In contrary to what I said earlier about not having that much glare I guess other drivers thought other wise after a couple of day ms of use so I figured I would go ahead and give this mod a shot. And I will back it up it does work! Just make sure you do make your cut off center so that way the cup will go up and over the led as shown in the OP PIC. mine were cut a little short and was to lazy to redo them but wil prob do it in the future and the op's came out a lot nicer than mine did but like I said I was lazy and didn't take my time and it doesn't even take that long. But this mod does get rid of the unwanted hotspots and focuses the light pattern more on the road. Before the mid I didn't Rimini that the leds were very useful because the light wasn't focused but now that they are the light goes where it needs to go. Until OPT7 decides this is necessary for the h4 bulbs this mod will make you very happy. Thanks OP!

Wile[OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 28, 2015 at 1:18 AM
    mrkabc

mrkabc Mall Crawler with a Locker

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Morimoto XB LED Head & Fog Lights, Cali Raised Stealth Light bar, OEM Roof Rack, Homelink Compass Mirror, Power Tailgate Lock, LED bed lights, MESO mirrors, gashole, switch panel & Stage 2 tails, PRO grille. Where's the mall?
    Hey OP, how much to make me a set? :D

12. Nov 28, 2015 at 2:27 PM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    Heh. I wish I could. I'm in the middle of closing on a house. :evil::goingcrazy: and my workshop is all torn down and packed to move.

13. Nov 29, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    mrkabc

mrkabc Mall Crawler with a Locker

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Morimoto XB LED Head & Fog Lights, Cali Raised Stealth Light bar, OEM Roof Rack, Homelink Compass Mirror, Power Tailgate Lock, LED bed lights, MESO mirrors, gashole, switch panel & Stage 2 tails, PRO grille. Where's the mall?
    Congrats on the new place! Ahhh giving you a hard time. .. I have all the tools and ability just don't have any 1/2" copper pipe, only 3/4", don't really want to buy a 10' length for this mod. :)

Maybe HD will have a scrap piece I can buy... lol

14. Dec 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    I found a piece of two foot pipe at HD or Lowes I think in the pluming section. It was by the connectors and elbows and stuff.

15. Dec 2, 2015 at 8:25 AM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Thanks! Closing on a house is more stressful than I expected but we are excited. good luck finding some scrap!

16. Dec 2, 2015 at 1:26 PM
    ripkinc

ripkinc Well-Known Member

Member:
    balt
    Vehicle:
    11' DCLB SR5 Expedition in progress
    camper shell, LED enhancements, electrical mods, duel battery, rollin on general grabber at2's
    @Wile, thanks for this wright up. I think I'm going to buy these now do you have any issue with radio interference?

17. Dec 2, 2015 at 2:57 PM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    While I usually listen to my iPod, the times that I have listened to the radio I haven't noticed any interference.

ripkinc[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Dec 3, 2015 at 5:59 AM
    mts

mts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport-TRD Supercharger
    great post, sub'd

Wile[OP] likes this.
  19. Dec 4, 2015 at 4:25 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    No interference here either!! And I honk thy also claim that in their website. Total plug n play just comes with the control box for the no fault codes and stuff. I had a problem with one of the boxes and sent an email on thanksgiving and received an email back on the same day telling me that a replacement was on the way. Good customer service! That is if u ever have any problems.

Wile[OP] and ripkinc like this.
  20. Dec 17, 2015 at 6:21 PM
    ripkinc

ripkinc Well-Known Member

Member:
    balt
    Vehicle:
    11' DCLB SR5 Expedition in progress
    camper shell, LED enhancements, electrical mods, duel battery, rollin on general grabber at2's
    Happy to report @Wile that the mod has worked for another member. True test will be tomorrow when I drive a bunch at night.
    I have a 2011 tacoma with stock headlights, did before and after mod comparison and with stock headlights (no pics with stock silverstar's) sorry for the crappy background, I just got a load of drywall etc in for a home "project" (oh the things we do to save a buck and make women happy, right guys...)

As for aiming, I have not adjusted as they seam to be no higher than the stock halogens, but definitely fill more space. Interesting how squarish the high beam pattern is.
    Took a quick test drive, much brighter on road, about as wide as stock halogens. High beam lights higher up more than stock With silverstar's. Down range performance is far better than silverstar's in low and about the same in high.
    Now I want a brighter fog light, I prefer the warmer tone as its much better in actual fog, and snow, about the same in rain though. Any recommendations are welcome.

And as far as radio, nothing noticed on FM, didnt try AM. Fan noise only a low humm noticeable if everything is off
    Only thing I had to do for the install was trim aprox 1-2mm off the rubber boot to get it to fit without too much force. Thought I was going to break the light housing so I reluctantly trimmed a small amount from the inner hole on the boot. Also loosened the battery and ww fluid a bit to give more space to work.
    LED headlight mod before after.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Dirtboyz likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top