1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PROBLEM SOLVED - The LED Headlights "Glare-Guard MOD"

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Wile, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Dec 18, 2015 at 2:47 AM
    Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    I got their led for fogs as well but you are looking for of a more yellowish color though and I can't remember if I seen if they had yellow on their website but the fobs are as bright as the headlights. Strange thing happened to me today and it has been the only time it has happened, I was using the blue tooth audio to let my wife watch Netflix while driving and my radio seemed to cut off and reset. I was like ok weird maybe just a freak thing but got everything going again and it did it again! So I turned the radio to fm and Sirius and nothing out of the ordinary happened so when I got home I left the truck running and checked my battery connections to see if they were loss but they were good to go. I might just be having a bro kme with the Bluetooth connection or something but the whole radio started over like I turned the truck off. I do not think it's due to the lights because I have before used this function recently with no problems. Maybe I'm having a problem with the Bluetooth or something. If it keeps happening with the Bluetooth will have to take a trip to the dreaded stealership I guess. Anyone else had this happen before with or without these lights just for clarification? And not trying to jack your tread because I'm also going to create a separate tread asking others this. Glad the mod worked for you! The lights are awesome and wished theses trucks came factory with LED lights!

2. Dec 18, 2015 at 2:48 AM
    Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    Yup that's what I was getting before I did the mod so there is proof that this works and hope others will take your advice Wile!

3. Dec 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    Wile

Wile [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    Great news! I'll be curious if can leave the headlight adjustment 'as is'. I adjusted mine several times before doing the "Glare-guard Mod" so I have no frame of reference. I do know that after doing the mod I raised them back up significantly.

4. Dec 18, 2015 at 11:36 PM
    ripkinc

ripkinc Well-Known Member

Member:
    balt
    Vehicle:
    11' DCLB SR5 Expedition in progress
    camper shell, LED enhancements, electrical mods, duel battery, rollin on general grabber at2's
    So far so good. I didnt get flashed tonight, but thinking I may need to lower them a tiny bit. Not for glare but though the cutoff is sharp and effective it may be more to the high side than the low side

5. Dec 19, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    Qball 16

Qball 16 Active Member

Member:
    Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    I've got Brite-Ass-LED's in my 2011, and have the same problem. Love the lights, bright as all get out, but it must be awful for drivers coming towards me at night (I get flashed fairly regularly)... These LED's have only one large LED on the top & bottom of the assembly - I assume the top is the low beam & the bottom is the high beam. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether this 'mod' would work for these particular bulbs?

LED_4685bcdfe8d2b05543dbaee22780f84bb68a0c1d.jpg

6. Dec 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Pioneer AVH-5600BHS, ScanGauge, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Allpro Aluminum front bumper, Allpro Aluminum IFS skid plate, Allpro APEX rocksliders, Warn 9500s winch
    Since the emitters are positioned top and bottom I don't think this mod will help if it is constructed as described in the original post BUT.... If you were to adapt it to obscure the low beam emitter from the lower half of the headlight enclosure reflector without impeding the highbeam emitter then to might be in business.

7. Dec 20, 2015 at 11:40 PM
    ripkinc

Member:
    balt
    Vehicle:
    camper shell, LED enhancements, electrical mods, duel battery, rollin on general grabber at2's
    Ok, with the added beam power despite having a sharp cutoff and no glare my beam just shines too high, lowered it 5 spots when i got home tonight see if that helps. it was like driving around with a heavy load in the back causing them to.point up.

8. Dec 21, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    What do you mean went you say "5 spots"?

9. Jan 4, 2016 at 9:20 PM
    ripkinc

Member:
    balt
    Vehicle:
    one the wheel/cog that adjusts the height, I moved it 5/6 spots on that. I just recently did another 6 not because of another flashing but it still in general looked too high. This helped my down range performance with High Beams and put more on the road infront of me when on the lows. Very happy with everything!
    I am going to re-align to the dot specs soon I think they are a tad cross-eyed, make it a bit wider again more \ / than / \ 3000% better than silverstars so far regardless of the minor headlight alignment issue, sharp cutoff but enough general shine up to illuminate road signs etc without glare, good generally wide pattern, very bright in factory housings again without glare (I have a 2011 tacoma) and rather easy to install including the glare mod, sub 30min with no need to pull apart anything you wouldnt when changing regular bulbs on the truck. (obviously the glare mod takes a min and 1/2 a brain's worth of skill. I did mine with a hack-saw, wire cutter and a dremmel with sanding wheel)
    Thanks again @Wile

10. Jan 12, 2016 at 10:27 AM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Happy New Year! Still have NOT been highbeamed once!

11. Jan 12, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    mts

mts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport-TRD Supercharger
    So when are you going to start selling those glare guards? :)

12. Jan 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Heh, hadn't planned to but with all the requests maybe I should. :)

13. Feb 10, 2016 at 6:42 AM
    Jay619

Jay619 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    San Diego/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium
    Sub'd. Let us know if you start to sell these. :thumbsup:

14. Mar 15, 2016 at 12:23 PM
    Fedupdon

Fedupdon Active Member

Member:
    Arlington tx
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 dbl cab
    None yet
    i dont have the tools or the skill to do this any way i can buy a set from you

15. Mar 17, 2016 at 4:56 PM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Happy Saint Patty's Day! Still have not been beamed...NOT ONCE! :broccoli::1up: :D :D :D :1up: :broccoli:

16. Mar 17, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    Wile

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
    Giving it some strong consideration.

17. Apr 14, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
  18. Apr 14, 2016 at 3:46 PM
    Fedupdon

Fedupdon Active Member

Member:
    Arlington tx
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 dbl cab
    None yet
    just let me know i nee brighter lights ive tried hid and they wont pass tex inspection . and found out they are not dot approved

19. Apr 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM
    Fedupdon

Fedupdon Active Member

Member:
    Arlington tx
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 dbl cab
    None yet
    which led do you recommend

20. Apr 23, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    Fedupdon

Fedupdon Active Member

Member:
    Arlington tx
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 dbl cab
    None yet
    how much would you charge to mount a set on the lights you recommend .would be a great help to a disabled vet

Products Discussed in

To Top