1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

problem w/ elect. lighting, turn signals, brake lights...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by cheffboy3030, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    cheffboy3030

cheffboy3030 [OP] wheelinAZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 2.4L 2wd standard
    K&N intake, MAGNAFLOW exhaust, PROCOMP es3000 shocks, 1.5" front coil spacers, BFG KM2 mud tires, black UNIQUE 297 off road wheels, modified front bumper, PROCOMP 55 fluted lights, aftermarket tow hooks, BLACKED OUT everything, ALPINE deck, JL AUDIO sub
    I have an 01 tacoma with 182k and experiencing problems with electrical lights. My brake lights turn on instantly when I turn on my head lights, my turn signals blink really fast, my AC button lights blink simultaneously with my blinkers, and just now my blinker lights quit working all together (Neither the lights nor the arrows on the dash work). I believe this is caused by the multifunction switch (turn signal switch knob) and that it needs replacement. Before I spend large amount of money on this small electrical component I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this? And if there is anything else that could cause these problems? - thanks for your input

2. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    I think you might have a bad ground somewhere. Did you just install a hitch for a trailer?

3. Jun 14, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    If the brake lights are involved, I doubt the cause is the combination switch alone. Sounds more like a short or bad ground in the wiring leading to the rear. Such weirdness is common when a trailer harness goes bad.

4. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    cheffboy3030

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 2.4L 2wd standard
    K&N intake, MAGNAFLOW exhaust, PROCOMP es3000 shocks, 1.5" front coil spacers, BFG KM2 mud tires, black UNIQUE 297 off road wheels, modified front bumper, PROCOMP 55 fluted lights, aftermarket tow hooks, BLACKED OUT everything, ALPINE deck, JL AUDIO sub
    I don't have a trailer harness hooked up or any additional wiring for that matter and the brake lights ONLY become involved when I turn my head lights on (which are controlled by the multifunction switch). When I am not engaging that switch everything works fine. I will take it apart and look for a short in that switch wiring system and see if its as simple as that.

5. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    03 DCSB
    magnaflow cat back exhaust, K&N filter, gray wire, deck plate, ome 883's, ome dakar leafs, bilstien 5100's, blacked out grille, AVS bug shield & window vents, arb bull bar, hella 5in lights, mile marker 8k winch, debadged tailgate, energy steering rack bushings, custom rear bumper w/ hidden receiver, custom headache rack, ome greasable shackles, 4.88's w/solid spacer, SS extended brake line
    sounds like a bad rear harness until you said a/c light never heard that one before

6. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    EnolaGaia

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    Is the A/C switch lamp the only dash light (other than the turn signal indicators) that acted weird?

The combination switch has nothing to do with the brake lights, so it's unlikely whatever is cross-juicing the brake light circuit is occurring within the switch assembly itself.

7. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    cheffboy3030

Member:
    First Name:
    Richie
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 2.4L 2wd standard
    The AC lights are the only dash lights acting funny, but what makes me believe the brake lights could be caused by this switch is that they don't FULLY light up. They light to about 90% illumination, acting as a running light that's very very bright. They're supposed to light up dimly when my headlights are on but they're lighting up way too much

8. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Trace your headlight wiring back to the source. Pay close attention to where it's bundled with other wires. It"s most likely when it runs through a pinch point. Ie. Grommet or zip tie etc.
    I doubt it's a switch or trailer harness, unless it's routed with the headlight wires.
    Check all grounds as well. Bad or missing grounds cause some really weird problems.
    Check for frankenstien circuits(mess of wiring for aftermarket components). Those could be suspect as well.
    Good luck! Shorts to power are tricky to pinpoint.

9. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    EnolaGaia

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    The brake light circuit is apparently getting current from some circuit controlled by the combination switch, but it can't be getting this cross-current from the switch itself.

To Top