1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem while accelerating down a hill...auto tran?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Jul 8, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    TacomaDoug

TacomaDoug His and Hers

Member:
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 (Pyrite Mica)(Silver Streak)
    Pyrite - Cut mud flaps, AVS deflector, WeatherTech floor liners. Silver Streak - Running boards for wife, AVS deflector, Kenwood DNX6140.
    Let us know what happens. Thanks.

2. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Off Road Pkg
    12 days since last post... any update on how the re-flash went? Same problem here on '09 TRD Offroad, auto. Bought it brand new last November, and has done this as long as I can remember too. Didn't 'learn' anyone else's style, but wife and I have both noted when driving that when you turn off a road onto another, or into a driveway/entrance of a shopping mall or something, then apply a bit of gas, the tach races up a bit with zero actual pull/engagement from the truck... and then a moment later you can feel it downshift and then you can apply gas and go. 'Pretty' annoying at first, but we've since downgraded the emotion to a 'live with it' annoyance. Not the worst thing in the world, but I finally had to get on the forum to see if anyone else had this condition and sure enough, they do!

Sometimes to 'work around' the condition, I'll just take my foot off the gas completely until I've made the turn or whatever, and then give it gas and by then it's been 'just long enough' for the gear to drop down to where it's 'ready' to grab/engage when I give it gas. Whatever. Would be nice to get it fixed I suppose; don't really see it as a safety hazard or anything like that.

3. Jul 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro

Well, I actually had 2 issues going on.

First, my truck would downshift while coasting down a hill (without touching the brake). This caused sudden and abrupt engine braking.

Second, I have the same issue as you noted. There is one turn near my house that I routinely make and it does that almost every time. This is what I posted quotes of from the Tacoma Complaint page (original post). Once I make the turn, the road has a slight down slope. As I accelerate down it, the engine revs go up but it doesn't shift.

Since the reflash, I have not experienced EITHER problem. BUT, I have only gone around the turn where it usually revs without upshifting a few times. I have not experienced it any of those times but it never did it every time.

My truck no longer downshifts while coasting and I have been absolutely positive of that. It is so much smoother driving around hilly back-roads.

They did a full re-flash of my system. I hope this helps!

4. Jul 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    When I took mine to the dealer for this problem the service manager said a big percentage of the 09's they have sold have come back in with this complaint. He was sympathetic but said there was nothing that they could do. He said there had been so many complaints - and it is potentially a safety issue - he was betting that Toyota was already working on a TSB fix, probably a reprogramming of some sort. Hopefully they figure it out before too long....

5. Jul 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Off Road Pkg
    Thanks for the info on the flash... did it take them just a little while (while you waited kinda thing)?

6. Jul 21, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    It only took 30 minutes. Just long enough to drink 2 free latte's - french vanilla and irish cafe!

I think they just plug in and hit 'reset'.

7. Jul 21, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
    Veccster, what dealer are you going to and did you by the truck their?

8. Jul 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    warpig

warpig Member

Member:
    Kentucky YeeHaa!!
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX Pro
    My 08 DC and wifey's 06 corolla does this also.But only in one area and its like clockwork. I don't mind it because its down a slight grade going into a curve and I don't have to brake. Both have done this since new.

9. Jul 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro

Toyota of Greensburg in Greensburg, PA. Yes, I bought the truck there. I had zero problems getting the rear leaf spring TSB or getting them to do this re-flash.

10. Jul 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Mine does this too. Only fix I've found, like Steviestyles said is to accelerate slower.

11. Jul 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
    I purchased my 09 at Washington Toyota and I've noticed mine doing the same as far as the downshifting problem. I'll have to look into it there and if they tell me they didn't find anything abnormal, maybe I will give Greensburg a call.

How does that lifetime warrantly deal work at Greensburg anyway?

12. Jul 22, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Lifetime Warranty is a good deal (although factory is 6yr/65K, which is enough for most people). So long as I stay current on my maintenance, I can have warranty issues fixed at any dealer in the country. It's good for as long as I own the truck and didn't cost a dime.

I have bumper to bumper for 7yrs/75K miles and lifetime powertrain...I am good to go for a long time!

Regarding the downshifting, the truck uses its engine brakes if you put the slightest pressure on the brake while coasting. Giving it gas for a couple seconds releases the engine brake. My truck used to downshift with NO pressure on the brake. After the re-flash, it does not. I can now coast down a mountain without touching the brake and pick up speed the whole way.

If your issue exists without touching the brake AT ALL, you have the same issue. If it only downshifts when you touch the brake, your truck is normal (for an 09).

Products Discussed in

To Top