1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem with Electric in Cab

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by yoidles1, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Jul 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    yoidles1

yoidles1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 & 94 4x4 (PRE Tacoma, or Taco-Grandma)
    So I'm having a problem with the electric in the cab of my 99 (4x4 manual 4cyl) tacoma. It started with a simple problem which was exacerbated by a bonehead maneuver and I'm hoping it's a simple fix like a bad relay or something.

It started when the overhead light switch wore out. It would flop back and forth limply, but it didn't make contact to complete the circuit. One day, when I was in the truck I noticed that someone had removed the cover of the light, exposing the bulb and the metal that the switch contacted to activate / deactivate the light. (Here's where the bonehead comes in): I had a putty knife in the truck and I was curious if there was something wrong with more than the switch so I tried to complete the circuit by touching the putty knife to the metal where the light switch was no more...

A spark shot off.

Now the lights on the doors that activate when the doors are open, the radio, the power locks, (maybe windows too, i forget) do not work. It seems like it is all the electric in the cab devoted to creature comforts besides climate control has been shorted out (gages still work, turn signals, wipers, etc). I checked all of the fuses, and they appear intact. Is it possible that there is a relay switch for the cabin that I fried?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. I'm hoping that I don't have to do a complete wire trace.

2. Jul 31, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    yoidles1

yoidles1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 & 94 4x4 (PRE Tacoma, or Taco-Grandma)
    So, um, yeah. Thanks. I forgot that there were more fuses under the hood. All is well now. :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top