1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem with Rear Differential Lock?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by air5mjp, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    air5mjp

air5mjp [OP] Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC PreRunner
    Ok.... brand new to the Taco thing. Just bought a used Taco last weekend. I’ve wanted one for a LONG time, and I LOVE IT :D. 2011, 19k miles, Double Cab, Silver Streak Mica, TRD Offroad, $23k. Still covered under the Manufacture's warranty.

The problem is this, when I press the Rear Differential lock button, the light flashes, but never stops flashing. I’m under the impression that it is supposed to flash until it locks, then turn solid once it is locked. Am I missing something? Im at a complete stop, press the button, and sit there watching a flashing light. Is this something I need to take to the dealer or am I just doing it wrong?

Any help you can give to this nubie would be greatly appreciated.

:help:

2. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I sometimes have to let the truck roll forward, and sometimes backward for everything to get lined up and it to engage. Taking it out is the same way.

3. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    Bogg

Bogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Are you in 4Lo? If you don't have the locker anytime mod done you might have to be in 4Lo for it to engage

4. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    skidooman

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    :facepalm:Yeah, thats an important part of it too...

And welcome to the forum.

5. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    air5mjp

air5mjp [OP] Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC PreRunner
    Its a 4x2, so no 4L....

6. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    skidooman

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Ah, yes, it says prerunner right over there. I'm on a roll today. Just try moving the truck back on forth, it should go in.

7. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Herp derp haha. We all missed that one. Try turning in sharp radius turns forward and backward to get it to lock in. If none of that works have someone get by the third and hit the button. If you hear it making noise it might be operator error or a slight issue, if the actuator not making noise, there is a big issue

8. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    What I do is this:

Come to a complete stop, hit the Locker button, slowly roll forward while turning the steering wheel left and right a bit until you hear a lock snap/knock/clack from the rear of the truck. That's your locker engaging. You need to create a little different wheel spin on your back tires so the locker can engage.

9. Aug 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    air5mjp

air5mjp [OP] Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC PreRunner
    All of the sugestions to be tried while the vehicle is in drive, correct?

10. Aug 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Yep. On dirt. Don't turn or have a locker on while you are on asphalt. As soon as you drive on dirt, just come to a stop, hit the button, drive forward and turn the wheel back and forth, you'll hear a loud 'clack!' From the rear end, and your lights should be good :)

11. Aug 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    air5mjp

air5mjp [OP] Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC PreRunner
    Alll right.... ill give this a try. If these dont work would you guys suggest taking it to the dealer or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks for all of your help.

12. Aug 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Nothing wrong bro. Trust me, the way you described sounds like exactly what happened to me the first few times I went offroad, before I figured out how to do it. Also, locker might not have been used much before, so it still takes a little to kick in. Mine seems like it pops right in with no issue now. The first few months of using it, it took a good couple of yards of wiggling around before I heard it click.

Do yourself a favor, roll your window down and you can hear the 'clack!' Pretty clearly, then your locker light should go solid. And you're good to go! Do it again when you want to turn it back off

13. Aug 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    air5mjp

air5mjp [OP] Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC PreRunner
    Tried your recommendations this morning and they did the trick. She handled the trail like a champ. I was able to go places I never would have dared in the old Dodge. Not too shabby for a 2wheel drive. Thanks for all of your help!!!

14. Jul 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM
    Maineiac Mike

Maineiac Mike Member

Member:
    Brunswick, Maine
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 3.4L Supercharged
    4" body lift, Rhino-Lined bed
    Tried all the suggested steps in and out of 4WD with my Tacoma, still no dice. Is my actuator bad, or could it be something simpler?

Products Discussed in

To Top