1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem with Tsunami Capacitor

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by shadowknight123, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Aug 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM
    shadowknight123

shadowknight123 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, double-cab.
    Put in two new subs sounds amazing!! Plan on getting a lift, need some help figuring that out though, and a new grill plate i hope, after warranty headlights/rear.
    Hey guys, i just had my buddy who used to work at circuit city install my two 10' kickers, a kicker amp and a Tsunami Capacitor (PP912UM-CAP)

When it was finally all wired up in the back we went to plug it into the battery and it began making a very loud high pitched annoying buzz noise for about 40ish seconds then stopped. We turned the car on subs sound amazing, but when they hit hard or like i said turn the car on or at random it seems as well, the loud high pitch noise happens so about 30-40 seconds.

I went back there to look at it when it did it and it just reads 2.4 (everytime it happens saw it 4 times saying that) then after the buzz stop the blue LED also turns off.

So im not sure whats happening here and id hate for me to be running around in my car and having the buzz telling me im killing it :eek:. Obviously its not doing what its supposed to because when my volumes up pretty good and it hits hard the lights dim so..

Any solutions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

2. Aug 2, 2009 at 12:55 AM
    shadowknight123

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    Put in two new subs sounds amazing!! Plan on getting a lift, need some help figuring that out though, and a new grill plate i hope, after warranty headlights/rear.

Yea i read this in the Manual but it just isnt making much sence of how or why it would be below 10.. All the wiring is good so its just very odd and confusing... ill take some pics tomorrow of the setup too so anyone that can help will have a better observation, maybe he did setup somthing wrong.

Should i not use the subs for now to prevent damage?? or is there no way around it since it buzzes right when the car turns on..

3. Aug 2, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    from the sounds of what you have for a system, I highly doubt you need a capacitor. You are probably experiencing issues with your charging system. A cap is normally a bandaid for a weak charging system. Get your charging system sorted and ditch the cap. .02

4. Aug 2, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Regardless of the usefulness of the capacitor; I'd start at the grounding points for your electrical system. Typically if there is an issue, this is the first place to look. Make sure that where the ground connects is free of dirt, paint and corrosion. Nice, clean metal is what you want.

If not there, make sure that the power wire is of proper size for that total distance. If you have too small of a power wire, you could have too much voltage drop from the battery.

5. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none

try disconnecting the cap and see if the problem goes away, that will eliminate the cap as a possibility. what your describing sounds like an installation issue poor ground perhaps. you say your friend used to work at best buy? why doesnt he anymore? perhaps there is a reason?
    having worked at a few shops in my installtion background a BB installer would definitly be considered a rookie in my book.

6. Aug 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    The guy worked at Circuit City, but your point stands.

7. Aug 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    few cars ago I had, a 4 channel 200w amp for speakers and 1000w dual channel feeding 2 subs. Never needed a cap, and lights didn't dim.
    - clean your battery terminals.
    - maybe look into a new/heavier battery

I've pulled into the driveway years ago, got out/back in , and the car wouldn't start. Lights, radio, all OK. Lights dimmed with the starter, but it just clicked. Called a garage re a new battery - and they gave me some great advice. Clean your terminals first and see if that fixes it. Sure enough ...
    Light loads worked fine. Heavy load pulled enough current that the resistance of the dirty terminals caused enough of a voltage drop at the terminals, the starter wouldn't turn.

Sounds like either your battery doesn't have enough reserve to provide juice on the heavy transients - or you might be lucky and just have dirty terminals. You'll need to remove the terminals and brush the posts as well as inside of the terminals.

8. Aug 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    KAPendley

KAPendley Best Hack I Know

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    Shaved, Lowered,Airbrushed (some)
    In the guy that installed it's defense, lets not forget that Circuit City layed off all of their employees. May not be his fault at all? Any updates? Or pics of the install could probably tell alot.

9. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    shadowknight123

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    He did a very clean install on my whole system, my camera is charging right now so when its all done ill defantly take some pics.

Update: This morning when i left to work there was no loud beep!! yay! The cap read 12 volts so i feel safe now, maybe it just needed some time to charge??? IDK.

Bad news is.. and hopefully only a coinisidence, not a cause from this system which i totally dobt, but my check engine light on the dash is on.... noticed it when i arrived to work this morning so i think im gunna take it in tomorrow.

Getting wheels alligned too the steering wheel gets really wobbly at times.. Any clue what this system will void on the warranty? lol... Gotta get rdy for that

10. Aug 2, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    KAPendley

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

http://www.bestcaraudio.com/will-an-after-market-installation-void-my-vehicles-warranty/

11. Aug 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    KAPendley

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    .........................Christ, I just read the thread about the guy buying a duramax, and saw that TROLLING pic with all the definitions....

LMAO, I didnt want to be one.........so I edited this.

Products Discussed in

To Top