1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Death_Stalker, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker [OP] " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
  2. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    Death_Stalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
  3. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Do you change your own oil?

4. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    I'm wondering if the filter was the proper size. That's exactly what happened to my friends new Corolla after her first oil change. When she and her twin went to buy filters for their cars, the guy handed each gal the opposite filter (they had different cars) and their boyfriends changed the oil. Luckily only one of the cars was damaged.

How long after you heard the pop did you pull over? I know you said immediately but that could mean the nearest exit.

5. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    When was the oil last changed? Was it the correct filter?

The #1 question....how long was it running with low oil pressure? Few seconds? Few minutes?

6. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ copy cat. LOL!!

7. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    Death_Stalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
  8. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    If Toyota changed it, I would give them a call. The filter should not have been able to work itself loose like that. Did you happen to get pics of the engine with the mess or the ground when you pulled over? The reason I ask is because that's proof that it happened suddenly and not due to your messing around and trying to change it on your own and messing up.

9. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    So you change your own oil but you haven't touched this truck? If that's the case, I'd drive it back to the dealership you bought it at and raise hell. Unfortunately, if it's still running, there's probably not a lot you can do about it without a tear down, the damage is done. That being said, you might want to consider having them buy the truck back or giving you an extended warranty on it.

10. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Death_Stalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    The truck runs, just makes a wierd noise. I have not driven it because i dont want to break anything more than it already has. Also, why would the dealer take responsibility on it when i drove the truck already for 5 k miles and 4 months. Its not realistic, for them to be that nice to buy back the truck or even try and fix. My main concern is that what kind of dmagae couldve been done to the engine for it to make that sound and is it fixable?

11. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Probably spun all the bearings in the engine, I wouldn't be suprised if the whole thing is junk.

Call the dealer.

12. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    +1 on pics

13. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The dealership should take responsibility because they were the last one to touch the engine. They changed all the fluids before you took delivery, did they not? That means their mechanic was not competitent enough to properly install an oil filter which lead to it coming off. Oil filters should not just randomly 'pop' off.

When you run an engine without oil, a lot of things can be damaged from heat build up. The problem is, unless one of those parts actually breaks and lets go, you might not know it for a while. The damage to the engine is done. You won't find out what got damaged unless you tear into the block and start poking around unless something is noticably broken (not being able to hear the sound, that's a tough one).

14. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Death_Stalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    humnn well ok ill call my dealer and the waranty company and find out what they will do.

15. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Well who did last oil change? If not Toyota then you are on your own.
    There is good chance you damaged engine beyond repair.

16. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Whoever made oil change screwed up. So thats the people you need to go after. As far as damage, it sounds like you need new engine.
    EDIT: x2 on oil filter should not pop off. There is almost no pressure in that thing. Thats why we can hand tighten them and get away with it. thast why they dont pop off unless they were not tightened or wrong size

17. Dec 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    Death_Stalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    its that easy for the engine to break and i need new engine? even though its running and seems to be just fine on idle? except for making a minor clicking noise ? i would understand that i would need new engine if it was not cranking. Its starting and running. i just dont want to drive it like that and mess it up even more.

18. Dec 3, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    One thing that kills engine quickly is lack of oil. You can do a lot to the engine as long as its lubrication system is running. No oil = quick death. It runs because its not seized but if your filter was letting oil out then no oil was getting to the engine because filter is first stop after the pump. Sorry but there is no good news here.
    If it is getting oil (check oil pressure) it may drive little longer but that engine is toast so if it drives for now, just look for replacement before crank comes off from its side.
    Clicking noise? Like valve clicking or chain clicking?

19. Dec 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    The engine needs oil to run or heat and friction can damage it. If something is clicking, it could be that something inside got hot and bent. Back in the days I would say pistons but.... ANYWAY. Yes. There is damage in there, be it small or large it still needs to be opened up for a proper analysis. That's going to cost money. It would not be under warranty unless it's a defect with a part or mechanical failure due to build. At this point, you have to remember that none of this would have happened if the oil filter did not come off.

It might even be that the the threads on the filter were messed up.

20. Dec 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    This is why I said get it to the dealership and either have them buy it back or get the warranty extended with this issue on record. The fact that it starts and runs does not mean you're out of the water. The engine ran with low oil in it and is now making a noise, meaning the damage is done. The engine might not be toast just yet but it's life has been significantly reduced. That is why I would say, either make them fix the engine (which would likely be a replacement) or extend the warranty on the truck so when it gives up on you in 10k miles, you're not stuck picking up the tab.

Products Discussed in

To Top