1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems purchasing DC SB TRD Off-road

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DueNorth, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Greetings everyone! This would be one of my first posts here and i look forward to joining the TW community.

Unfortunately i'm having problems right outta the gate. Spoke to our local dealer Saturday about ordering a 2010 Tacoma DC SB TRD off road. Only problem is, they don't offer that particular model in Canada! :eek:

Now i would settle for an access cab (because there available with the rear locker) but i fear the cab is a little small for my two Golden Retrievers. So with that being said, i've settled for a double cab.

Not only will i use this truck as a DD, but i need it for hunting, my dogs and camping, but more importantly for future off roading. So thats why i wanted the locker to begin with.

I have asked the dealer to see if he could import up through the states for me, but for some reason he can't. But he has offered to dealer install a locker into a Sport model for me, for about $2000+ but would be unable to Warranty it if it breaks! :confused: unbelievable! Spend up to $40k on a truck and i can't get a rear locker on a DC to begin with!?!?!

Has anyone else had this same problem? Or does everyone just settle for the Sport model?

Perhaps i should just take a trip (or call) a few dealers from Michigan and see if there willing to sell to a Canadian. At least i'd get the truck i wanted to get to begin with.

I dunno, i'm perplexed with this problem. I really want a Tacoma, but i'm worried i won't be happy with the LSD on a Sport. I plan on spending a big chuck of cash here, and don't want to regret my decision down the road.

Anyone (especially Canadians) have any advise for me? I'm sure lots of you guys have ran into the same problems.... Did ya'll just buy south of the border?

2. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner
    OME 3 inch suspension lift Toytec 1in body lift Rodger brown diff drop ARB front bumper Big tires, but want bigger! :) Xrc 8000 winch Hella3000 lights Deck plate mod Diff breather relocate Cb radio 1st gen roll bar Addicted sliders Spider trax wheel spacers.
    I have an AC offroad and I have a 75lb pit, and a 40lb Australian shepard they fit just fine in back. At times I even have my brothers 90lb German shepard in back with my two dogs. I do say buy what you want though do not settle for something that will cost you that much money.

3. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well since the '09 and '10s have those little seats built in, (i'd have to take them out and build a platform) for the dogs. Only reason i'm concerned about the space in the AC is because my male is 100lbs and my female is an easy 80lbs.
    Thats a couple of big dogs to fit back there. ???
    Don't know if they would or not, and i know dogs don't need a lot of room but its going to be tight. Figured the DC would just be a lot more spacious and less problems.

4. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I'd look into stepping over here and buying it.

Even after the border hit, it would seem you would get it cheaper. (?)

5. Dec 14, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    BLKTRD6SP

BLKTRD6SP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Crane Lake Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 Black TRD 6 Speed
    2 way remote start,3M rockguard
    Start here:
    http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx (This will explain some of the costs involved)

Make sure Toyota isn't one of the manufacturers that doesn't honor the warranty if bought outside of Canada.

Financing might be difficult also. Not a problem if you have the cash or a line of credit from your bank though.

(edit)
    2008-2010 Tacomas are allowed to be imported but you may have to have the child tether anchorage modified, vehicle immobilizer system installed if vehicle is not equipped already.

6. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    WNYTACOMA, Thats what I'm thinking. I know these trucks are cheaper in the U.S. At least enough to off set the costs of shipping, and border fees, etc. I would think anyways.

Thanks BLKRTD6SP for the link and the extra info. There's quite a bit more to this process than i originally thought. I must admit i was secretly hoping i could find a dealer to do all this, at a small cost of course.

I should also talk to the bank, i do have a sizable amount to put down but will need financing as well. Didn't really think i would have a problem with that, but now that you mention it, i should check it out.

7. Dec 15, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    NeoMoose

NeoMoose Possibly Batman

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC TRD O.R.
    Kenwood eXcelon X993, Kenwood KFC-1693PS (Front), Kenwood KFC-G1620 (Rear), Luverne Black Nerf Bars, OEM Brush Guard, AFE Pro Dry S Drop-In, Some kickass wheel locks, Removed front mud flaps, All windows tinted, Anti-theft tailgate mod
    Come down to the USofA to get it. We need your moneys!!!

To Top