1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ProComp 6" lift swap to Icons and Dakar

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Hoozel, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Apr 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    Hoozel

Hoozel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    this isn't a build post or a guide. I just wanted to tell you my expertience, and thank Down South for hooking me up.

2006 DCSB, purchased 3 months ago with a 6" ProComp Lift already installed. I loved the truck, had some sweet stuff done to it, just was a bit high. I didnt do my research and thought i could swap out the suspension and Lower it a bit. No Dice, had Drop Bracket of course, these terms i was new to. So contacted Down South motor sports and they hooked me up with a bolt in replacement Icon kit.

So front Icon Coils went in pretty smooth. The one side we had to cut the lower bolt on the stock Shock out. It had welded itself to the shock bushing. So Bolt shop first for Grade 10 bolts to be safe, then proceed to cut. Icons in with Coilovers set at about halfway threaded, which was about eqivalent to the Stock shock with the ProComp giant spacer above it. So we started cranking it out till we had about a 4" lift in front. Ran out of time for the day, so drove it home. Instant huge difference, ride was amazing in front end. Bumps were amazing, handling incredible.

Next day started the rears. luckily shackles werent seized up too. The U bolts with the giant axle blocks were fucked. We had to cut the U bolts off. I got Dakars with AAL instead of doing a 1" or 2" block. very good choice. For anyone else thats like me, we couldn't figure where the AAl went. if you dont put it at the top of the stack between 2 and 3 leafs it wont bolt into the truck. It hits the shackles. So basically you have two identical leafs in the 3 spot. Now the truck rides amazing, those Dakars make a world of difference. We also put the 15 degree or so Shim unde rthe leaf pack on the axle, and the OME drop kit. No vibrations at all in drivetrain.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. Apr 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    06 tacoma owner

06 tacoma owner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Madisonville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    Stock...for now
    Post some Pics!

3. Apr 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    02 4DR Taco TDR Supercharged SR5 6in lift
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    I am in the same boat! custom 6" drop bracket lift with bilstein 5100's adjusted to about 3" and a 3" spacer. Rides like a tank right now to say the least..just ordered some icon coil overs from down south motor sports that are full length for a 6" lift for just under $1200. Should be here in 1-2 weeks! I cant wait to rip out the spacers and strut and throw em under my truck! I'll let ya know how much of a difference it makes for me.

4. Apr 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner
    My 6 in alcan's and kings ride like a dream

5. Apr 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    Got my icons for my 6"lift today! Question, Did yours come set for your 6" lift or did you have to adjust them?

6. Apr 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
  7. Apr 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    OP another question, in trying to install them as we speak. Was there a left and right side?? The bolt holes on top are in different spots. So confused! Neither way faces the charge port center. Should they be twisting towards the front or back?!

image.jpg

8. May 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    Hoozel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    a buddy did mine, they were pretty much at 6" lift when i put them in. be sure to take a measurement first, then again after you put new icons in. that way you can crank em up or down.

I don't know about left and right side.... just be sure to put the charge port out so its accesible.

9. May 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    Hoozel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    here is only pic i have of shock installed, without wheels.

icon shock.jpg

10. May 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    you have your stock spindles?

11. May 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    No I have tuff country lifted spindles. Notice how his charge valve is facing straight out to the center, and mine is facing twisted toward the front. Would it hurt to drill new holes in the mounting bracket so it faces the middle? Or is it ok this way you think? Only thing I can see wrong is there is a pivoting joint in the top plate that will not be at the angle it should be?

image.jpg

12. May 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    Hoozel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    I dont know much on this, but dont drill new holes. they should just mount up. Bite the bullet and call Down South or Icon for help.

13. May 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I would not drill any holes in the top mount plate. I would try to readjust the shock if it bother you. The way you have the shock is fine. Does the other side do that??

14. May 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the other side looks just the same. I just got off the phone with Todd at ICON and he said that is how it should go. I am still a little skeptical, because all the other pictures look different that this, but I guess I will go ahead and finish putting the rest of it back together. WIsh me luck :/

Products Discussed in

To Top