1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prodigy vs P3

Discussion in 'Towing' started by PropJet, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Mar 14, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    I need some advice on a brake controller. I've never towed anything large enough to require a controller, and therefore have no experience with them. However, I will be renting a 19' travel trailer this summer, and the rental place requires a controller to be used. Although they rent the controller for $35, I'm thinking that I'd just rather buy my own, in case I have a need for one on down the road.

With what little research I've done, it seems the Tekonsha Prodigy and P3 consistently seem to get high marks. For those of you with more knowledge / experience with controllers than I, what would you recommend? What advantages does the P3 offer over the Prodigy? How easy is it going to be to set up, given the fact that the first time I use it will be when I pick up the trailer? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

2. Mar 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    canadiankid

canadiankid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD SPORT
    I have the P3. It was very easy to set up (just mount it and plug it in *I have the tow package with my truck thou). If you search on e-bay you can find a good deal on these (around 120) if you opt for the Prodigy then about 80-90. RVwholesalers is a great place to buy these as well. I got the P3 because I will be using it a decent amount and what is an extra 30-40 dollars in the long run to get the best. The P3 is a little smaller and can change the color of the display as well.

3. Mar 16, 2009 at 12:05 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    We have the Prodigy. It's easy to setup. The slider & dials allow you to set the braking force (so to speak) and there are 3 different boost settings. The slider is awesome to reach down and engage the trailer brakes anytime you want.

I don't have any experience with the P3 - so I can't compare the two.

4. Mar 22, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    yotapainter

yotapainter Active Member

Member:
    Southern Indiana
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab TRD Sport
    My $.02, Coming from a 1 ton Diesel to the Tacoma...Go Prodigy. I have one and love it. Tow a car hauler and a camper, Once its set, forget it. The weight was close to the same for both of them loaded, so I didn't have to reset. If you tow two diffrent trailers with way diffrent weights, theny you have to reset....but it dosen't take long at all.

All the guys on the Dodge Diesel forums love them too....Not to knock the Tacomas, but Those guys tow some stuff.

5. Mar 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    ofrd4fun

ofrd4fun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4
    FJ Cruiser wheels, air bags, 5100's @1.75, TC UCA's, bi-xenon HID's
    I have the P3 because it was only $30 more than the prodigy. It displays voltage and has a few more diagnostic features as well.

To Top