1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Programming Autel TPMS Sensors

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jeffafitz, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Jul 9, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    jeffafitz

jeffafitz [OP] Obviously, You're Not A Golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    I had a set of new wheels put onto my truck today along with new Autel TPMS sensors. I used these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089FYJ9QR?_encoding=UTF8

The tire shop told me that they can’t program the sensors without an Autel tool and their tools only work with certain aftermarket brands. Is this true? I even tried taking it to a dealer and they told me they couldn’t promise they’d be able to do it either, but wanted to charge me $130 whether it did or didn’t work.

I know that these are clonable, but do I need my old sensors to do that? Because those are long gone.

I don’t mind buying the “Autel tool” and doing it myself, but if I need the old sensors to do that then it’s a waste of time.

I’d like to figure out how to make these sensors work since they’re already installed.

Smashmars likes this.
  2. Aug 20, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    Smashmars

Smashmars Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road
    Getting new wheels/tires put on my 2021 OR. Leaving the OEM's intact to put on my mother-in-laws TRD. Anyone else use these Autel's with any success? With or without their relearn tool? I don't want to demount my OEM's to get the ID's, but if this tool can clone them it seems worth the $137. I don't see why any reputable tire shop wouldn't have all of the tools/readers to clone OEM sensors. If the crickets continue - I will just throw my OEM's in a wheel barrel tire in the bed!

3. Aug 20, 2021 at 5:58 AM
    jeffafitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    So the tool definitely works. You do not need the old sensors to clone them, the old TPMS codes are stored in the ECU. The instructions that come with the tool will walk you through how to retrieve those. It’s very easy.

Be sure that before you try to scan the new ones, you go into the tool’s settings and turn off the pressure limit or whatever it’s called. I can’t remember exactly. If you do this, you won’t have to let all of the air out of your tires.

Also, use the tool to clear all codes when you’re finished. I could not get the tire light to reset by doing the factory reset procedure, but clearing the codes with the tool did the trick.

4. Aug 20, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    To clone the sensors I would imagine the Autel tool is needed. The TPMS ecu has no way to perform those functions.

Smashmars likes this.
  5. Aug 20, 2021 at 6:19 AM
    jeffafitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Correct, without the tool, the Autel's are useless. I would buy it and save yourself the headache of finding a shop with an Autel tool. When I was in this situation I called three tire shops and none of them had it. Dealer said they couldn't do it either.

If you don't want to be out $137, buy it on Amazon and return it when you're finished.

Smashmars likes this.
  6. Aug 20, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    Smashmars

Smashmars Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road
    Autel Sensors and Tool it is! Thanks fellas!

7. Mar 16, 2022 at 1:58 AM
    Alex_Running1258

Alex_Running1258 Member

Member:
    Yes,The Autel MX Sensor can only be relearned and programmed by the Autel TPMS tool.

To Top