1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Project DIY: Truck-bed Pullout Kitchen (and BS)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Arlaghan, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:01 PM
    Arlaghan

Arlaghan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    So lately I've been working on a design for my pullout kitchen for the truck bed that I plan to start building in the upcoming weeks in preparation for an "expedition to Utah" I plan to do this fall with some buds. I think I have finalized the design I'm going to go with. It will sit on 58" lock-in/out slides (that I will likely mount to a removable plywood base) so that I can maximize the amount that the slides will pull out while still being able to close my tailgate (the locking levers are approximately 1.5"). Yes, I have a short bed. :rolleyes:

There will be a "fixed" portion and a "flip over" portion. The fixed portion will consist of a double-door cabinet, an exposed platform for a 20# propane tank, and a compartment for a 22" Cook Partner stove that will be exposed by opening the "flip over" cabinet. The flip over cabinet will simply consist of a double door cabinet - intended to be used for light goods (paper towels, plastic tub for doing dishes, etc) and I sized the doors so that, in the future, I can decide to put a drop in bar-style sink if I choose.

I plan to install several D-rings to the top of each cabinet to use as tie-down points for additional cargo. I also plan to install a pair of D-rings on the face panel where the stove is housed. This panel will flip down for knob access and the D-rings will be used to support a Front Runner Camp Cutlery set.

Future modifications (under consideration and only after I create my prototype unit and field-test it) could include an integrated water tank like this one. I'd lose one half of the fixed cabinet if I choose to do this, but then it frees up the space behind the fridge for a 24 gallon Action Packer (also on a 58" lock-in/out slide).

The plan is to use epoxy resin and marine plywood for maximum weather protection, as this will live in the open bed of my Tacoma.

Current Design (I'll keep this picture up to date with any modifications I make):
    [​IMG]

Previous designs:

Here is what it will look like all tucked away in the bed:
    Truck Kitchen - v2b-1.jpg

Here it is fully deployed with all the doors and panels opened:
    Truck Kitchen - v2b-2.jpg

Here's a top-down view of it deployed:
    Truck Kitchen - v2b-3.jpg

As always, questions, comments, and criticisms welcome. :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    Materials/Cost:
    Have:

Ordered:
    Still Need:
    • Epoxy resin
    • Stainless steal flat-head machine screws/nuts/washers
    • Gel Stain - undecided

Build Process:

Building the base. I'll only show one or two photos here for each phase of the build. To see the full set of photos, go to post #66.

[​IMG]

Fridge platform:
    [​IMG]

Basic cabinet structures built:
    [​IMG]

-More Coming Soon-

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    GARSHA91, AxisCab, Manfred and 2 others like this.
  3. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    First run with the truck-bed kitchen (10/10/2017)

The 12-gallon water tank had not arrived yet, so I installed some D-rings to that platform and lashed down some water and the Aqua-tainer (7 gallons). We ended up not using more than 2-3 gallons because we brought other drinks along.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  4. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    I love DIY. Is there a flat tank that would fit between the pull out rails but not be carried by them, or alternatively mounted flat to the cab(weight should be low and centered if possible/practical)? Maybe a drop down front for the fixed cabinet instead of doors to give some counter space between the stove and fridge(always nice to get two needs filled from each piece)? You could create a long, narrow dining table with a fold down on the back of the pull out.

5. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:26 PM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    I'm almost positive such a tank exists. In fact this idea occurred to me.... AFTER I already pulled the trigger on the slides. I think I would have preferred to get shorter slides (both the kitchen and the fridge) so that a tank could fit flush against the entire back of the bed. Oh well. :oops:

I've also talked about doing pull-down panels instead of doors. I think on the fixed side it won't be necessary since the tailgate is there, but I'm considering it for the flip over part. The down-side of that is that when the flip over is put away the doors would flip up instead of down.

Edit: I'm taking a lot of inspiration from this guy:
    http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...r-drawer-storage-system?p=2343722#post2343722

6. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:58 PM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    If you have racks you can also go overhead with slides instead. Most people think only in terms of bottom slides. I just finished install on 3 pull out wine racks that hold 9 cases each, but not in my taco.

7. Aug 23, 2017 at 5:20 AM
    harrycary

harrycary Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Hi. This is not meant to be a smart a$$ question, but have you thought of building your kitchen into a small trailer so you can leave it home or at the camp site while wheeling?

AxisCab, GotToyota and TinoTaco like this.
  8. Aug 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM
    TinoTaco

TinoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nanaimo
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DCSB Off-Road - White
    If you're not wanting to have a trailer, would flip down legs and casters be an option? I haven't seen (nor have I looked to be honest) for a slide type compartment that has fold away legs similar to gurney (ie. legs that fold up when they're pulled in and out of an ambulance). It could give you the convenience of being able to remove your setup from the box relatively easily in the off season

9. Aug 23, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    This totally exists. In fact, it was another source of inspiration. If the bed of my truck wasn't so high, I would have totally just copied this design and call it a day.

10. Aug 23, 2017 at 11:24 AM
    Cold_Toad

Cold_Toad Well-Known Member

Member:
    May I ask why a 20lb propane tank? Seems a bit over kill, wouldn't a 5lb tank make more sense and save space and weight? Unless you are using the propane for other things than just cooking, such as lighting and heating.

11. Aug 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    stun gun

stun gun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    17 4X4 sr5spd/01 LT sr5spd
    Typically how long do you plan to be out in the wild and with how many people?

12. Aug 23, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    I constantly have a debate with myself about this. There are definitely pros and cons for either way (and I've experienced both already). But I think this argument applies more strongly to roof top tents than the kitchen... It's nice to have the kitchen with you mid-drive to take a break for lunch. :D

13. Aug 23, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    It's definitely overkill. It's just what I already had on hand. I can interchange it with my Weber. That being said, I'm adding a Mr Buddy Heater to my kit for this Utah trip.

Usually it's me, the wife and two little ones. But for Utah, the wife gave me a kitchen pass so it'll be me and two buds.

Edit: it will be a week. Well likely make a grocery stop midway.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Phoosa likes this.
  14. Aug 24, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    After taking some ideas here into consideration and running it by the Architectural Review Board (aka my wife) I am leaning towards a slightly modified design:

Truck Kitchen - v3-3.jpg

By way of trading one half of the fixed cabinet, I'm able to put the 12-gallon tank I linked above. This frees up the entire space behind the fridge (which coincidentally is the exact size of the Action Packer). I opted to put the tank as far towards the back for weight considerations and to make the space in front of the propane tank accessible. I also changed the doors to flip down to see what it looks like. I don't have to commit to these until I actually buy my hinges, so up for suggestions here. I have an REI portable aluminum camp table, but I know work space is at a premium and these surfaces are almost "free".

So far, the only things I don't like are: I'd have to run the propane hose (and a water pipe) through the fixed cabinet in an awkward spot. For this I blame the Cook Partner stove for using proprietary fittings and not having a 90-degree elbow available. The other issue is the flaps (windscreens) of the stove will require I rig up my own supports as the swing out... holding-rod-wire-thingies don't have room to function here.

Stig and rlx02 like this.
  15. Aug 24, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    subed for final and kick ass idea

I'd love to do something like this but not fond of loosing bed/no where to store it when removed.

Arlaghan[OP] likes this.
  16. Aug 24, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    I hear that! So far everything I've done to the truck is un-doable. This will be as well. But storage does become an issue.

Joe23[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Aug 24, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    It was posted on here before I made a kitchen like thing for mine. But just stopped using it. Was too heavy to move in and out of the truck and took up too much space. Find it to be easier to just use a Plano tote to store everything then use camping tables.

Arlaghan[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. Aug 25, 2017 at 2:03 AM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    If you have room overhead in the garage you could attach winch points to this and crank it up off of the bed slide. With a two car garage you could set up more than one module to lower and go.

Gunshot-6A, Arlaghan[OP] and Joe23 like this.
  19. Aug 25, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    mbarbay

mbarbay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma BBP DCSB LTD 4X4

May be overkill, but refer to the picture below. what if you make vertical slides with some sort of locking mechanism where I drew the red lines. this would make the cabinet drop down to act as "feet" to stabilize the system when it is extended. this also gives you a table top and cabinet. just a thought.

Truck Kitchen - v3-3.jpg

Arlaghan[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Aug 25, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    Arlaghan

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD Off-Road
    That's an interesting idea. I was thinking to add some legs to the top of that one (which would be on the bottom when it flips over. The weight of that is a little concerning with just a hinge holding it, but I figured I'd wait to build it first and see if it was needed. I've also considered making it removable, with four legs to make a little table, but I'm trying to minimize the number of setup steps. Right now, my backup plan is to use a bed cargo bar as a leg if necessary, since it ratchets to a variable length.

The Drifta kitchen is badass, but it's two negatives (in my mind) is the height of the stove would be too high to use while partially deployed (what started the whole flip over idea in the first place), and otherwise removing the whole kitchen and using all four legs it's too much to setup. Decisions, decisions.

bagleboy and mbarbay[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top