1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Project Help! Opinions Needed. Baja Bug

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Nicklovin, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Nov 4, 2015 at 7:21 PM
    Nicklovin

Nicklovin [OP] Mall Crawlin Through Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    Looking for some opinions and advice here guys. So currently I'm in college and have very little auto mechanical experience, although I come from a family that made their own custom hot rods :D . I really have a strong desire to learn and love off roading, recently I have been investing baja bugs and now I'm in a position where I could go 50/50 into one with my parents. I've been reading into them for a while and I believe a baja bug will not only be a lot of fun in the dunes, but a great place to start learning! I'm planning on buying a running one, I've seen them on craigslist range form $1700 to $3000 for the ones I'm looking for. Do you all think I should go ahead and purchase a baja bug?
    Yes I know it can't off road as well as my current Tacoma does in mountains and other places, for a while I was thinking about doing a project Tacoma but I believe a baja bug will be a lot simpler, and nicer on my college budget. All help appreciated.

2. Nov 4, 2015 at 8:11 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    I think it's a great idea. Old VWs are great cars to learn on, and there are a ton of parts out there. They're simple and easy to work on, plus on a baja, everything's out in the open. I say go for it.

Nicklovin[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 17, 2015 at 8:42 PM
    Usethe2nd

Usethe2nd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal
    DO IT! Seriously easy to work on, tons of aftermarket goodies and are EXTREMELY capable for being RWD. I should have never got rid of my rail, but after some extremely hard hit against some rocks/trees the frame was toast.

4. Apr 9, 2016 at 3:03 PM
    Austin4x4taco

Austin4x4taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma 4x4 sr5
    Do it, i daily drove a 1960 baja with a 2276cc stroker motor, its pretty much a car that should snap in half with what you do to it but just keeps going. Its also fun embarrasing 4x4's in the mud!

Products Discussed in

To Top