1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Proper way to lift suspension?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by michaelg589, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So i didnt want to label this thread "Bilstein 5100 question" because I know most would just disregard with all the others that have the title. But i do have question about them.

I recently purchased an AAL kit from toytec which is said to raise the rear of the truck 1.5 to 2 inches. Once this is installed I know Im going to want to level the truck. I like the "rake" look on sports cars, but not trucks. In fact i like the "reverse rake" look on pickups (front higher than rear).

Now I've searched through what seems like hundreds of Bilstein 5100 threads and what is strange to me is that no one seems to find anything wrong with raising their truck with just a different set of shocks/struts. I've always been certain that to raise or lower a vehicle, you do it with the springs. The springs are what carry the weight of the vehicle and thus should be the part that is changed to have a proper suspension setup.

Am I wrong? What are the disadvantages of simply using shocks to raise my front end? Less suspension travel? Harsher ride? If I did get the bilsteins, I would set them to the 1.75" setting.

Thanks for any info!

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    michaelg589

Member:
    Im sorry,

I have 07 Double Cab Off-road. 6 speed.

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can change several things. The bilstien shocks have a moveable spring perch that preloads the spring more than the stock shocks. Ride gets stiffer as you go higher. You can also get longer springs or spring spacers.

There are a lot of ways to do it.

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    chrisx1

chrisx1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 4cyl 4x4 5sp
    15x8 Pro Comp Wheels w/4" backspacing, 31x10.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Bilstein 5100's set to 2.5", URD Short Throw Shifter kit, URD rear O2 sensor simulator
    as Mark said above ^^, the billys have a moveable spring perch - they move the springs higher on the shock. The ride is very similar to stock, with the amount of travel available the same as stock. An OME/Toyotec, or similar setup will give you a lift with more wheel travel, so it's a better setup IMO. - However, I have been running just the Billys on all 4 corners for about a month now, and I'm happy with it - I'm not a huge off-roader, but I wanted to level the truck out.

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    michaelg589

Member:
    Thanks for the input guys. I kinda had a feeling it would give a rough ride.

6. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    So...

I have the TSB rear springs...and I'm gonna add the 5100's front set at .85...

this will not effect the ride much with coil compression?

7. Oct 24, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I did the 5100s with the Eibach 1.6 springs set at .85 with a 2" AAL on my 09 2wheel drive.
    Worked great but I had to chase a drive line vibration with wedges and carrier bearing shims. It also had a castor problem and would most likely need adjustable upper control arms to keep it from being a bit wandering on the hiway.

Used an OME kit and a 1 1/2" AAL on my 10 4X4 and really like it. 885 prings but may have to go to 886s soon with the bumper and skids I am adding.
    Bilstien sits a bit higher but I do not have any driveline vibrations in the 10

Overall The OME is what I would do again.
    Does not sit as high but works great without all the slightly higher problems I had with the 09

8. Oct 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    michaelg589

Member:
    Which OME springs would you guys say I should go with? 883, 884, or 885? I dont want too much lift. I'm afraid the 883 wouldnt be enough. Maybe because of the slight extra weight of the Double cab? But I think the 885s would be too much. I'm only doing the 1.5 or 2" AAL which is being added to the OEM 3 leaf pack.

To Top