1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pros and cons about TRD supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TRDSilverBullet, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Apr 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    Hes on the money with that one :cool:

2. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    bowhun2r

bowhun2r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    19 - GX-460

Do you know why this happens? It has a life of its own. Sometimes in the garage when taking trash out I will hear the pump circulate for a few seconds. Also freaked out my wife when she was doing the same one evening. And to think I didn't even pay for that "feature".....

Thanks,

3. Apr 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    When the S/C was installed it got tied in with the emissions cycle checks...it causes the intercooler pump to cycle during this testing process...usually only last a few minutes, and is benign....

4. Apr 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    alted1952

alted1952 Member

Member:
    Lebanon, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 4x4 Sport Limited
    Last month I had the local Toyota dealer install S/C in my 2012 4WD for $675 out the door. I dropped off evening before and picked up late the next afternoon. This was the 6th install for the technician. I picked up the S/C and fit kit for $3800. I'm seeing a slight improvement in mpg, but I have mostly kept my foot out of it. Good luck, but the dealers down there are not doing you any favors!

5. Apr 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    He comes out of the gate Boosted on his first post...Wecome to TW...Hold on to your wallet...!!

6. Apr 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Thanks TripleThreat, appreciate the advice. I am not planning to "race" the truck or get on the pedal constantly, but today I sure was wishing it was already installed.
    Some local college puds made an illegal left hand turn onto the freeway onramp from the right lane (they were on my right and stayed right next to me as I turned left and then cut me off). Of course I hit the horn and of course they flipped me off. When I got in front of them on the freeway I made sure they stayed BEHIND me, I was surprised at how much power the V6 had w/o the SC installed. I just laughed my ass off every time they tried to pass me on the freeway, but they never did. Little bastards need to learn some respect.
    Anyway, I have taken Bowhun2r and Jefes Taco's advice and called around for a good price for the install. I was able to get a dealership to install for $950 but they are 50 miles away. Still worth the money to drive the distance and keep the warranty. It will be VERY interesting to see what the Taco does with the SC after what I experienced today.
    BTW I did install the TRD exhaust this AM and it was super easy. It is a 1/2 hour job if things go well and you read up on the tips. The only problem I had was with one hanger on the very end of the system that refused to come off after being sprayed over and over again with silicon spray.
    Ken

7. Apr 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    Whoops, sorry if my post wasn't clear. That chart is for all users, regardless of S/C equipped or not (I did not see an option in Fuelly to annotate this for sorting).

My sig block has my averaged mileage with the S/C. When compared to that chart, I'm not doing so bad. But I wonder how much affect the tire size has on this averaged fuel economy calculation, knowing the speedometer is off (there's info on the site regarding the speedometer and tripometer error percentages, which I haven't pulled up in awhile).

8. Apr 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Good point on the tire size. I knew that larger tires would probably make for worse mileage, but had not even thought about the odometer/speedometer being off as well.

BTW I tried to get the local dealership to match the price and they said they would come down to $1200. I sent them an email addressed to the service manager explaining how disappointed I was with them, that I had been a loyal customer for 30+ years and just purchased the truck from them 6 or 8 months ago. Within a couple of hours a service writer and the service manager called me apologetically and agreed to match the price as not to lose my business so they set me up for an appointment on Monday and reserved a rental car for me. I am pretty surprised, but it sounds like things are going to work out.
    Thanks again guys for helping me with the negotiations!
    Ken

9. Apr 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    TRDtexasTaco

TRDtexasTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    Billy shocks, Maxtrac spindels, AllPro standard leafs, BAMF shock relocation, King 2.5 smoothies
    some pretty good stuff in here. Im thinking about a s/c instead of doing long travel. whats the issue with larger tires? Im not sure if I follow. in the future I plan on getting a bigger A/T tire. would that be a problem. also I have about 94,xxx miles. should the ipt valve body be done prior to the blower install?

10. Apr 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    The deal with tire size is just calculating the difference, so you get an accurate miles traveled reading. for example.. my tires are 1.064% larger than stock.. meaning i need to add that extra .064% of miles traveled.

so say my ODO reads 260. to get a more accurate idea on you MPG.. I take 260 x 1.064 = 276 actual miles.

you can get the size difference info from the tire size calculator on this site.

I would do the IPT kit as soon as you could if you really are going to do it. you'll have some downtime so keep that in mind.

11. Apr 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    TRDtexasTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    Billy shocks, Maxtrac spindels, AllPro standard leafs, BAMF shock relocation, King 2.5 smoothies
    oh okay I get it now. derp moment I guess.

12. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    bowhun2r

bowhun2r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    Vehicle:
    19 - GX-460

Happy I could assist. Save you some cash for some other toys. I know this thread is very long...but the jist (not sure that is a word) is the pros and cons... I can tell you after just coming home picking up a case of Church Brew Works Pious Monk...it's a blast. It's a different truck from stock. It's only money....fortunately (or unfortunately...) we have the opportunity to make that everyday. I'm sure you have already realized this site is the best source of info and opinions on our trucks. I owe a great deal of thanks to quite a few members (Justus, Fafafahey, Homertaco..and others) who helped me with questions and were always willing to assist. Pretty cool if you ask me. Hell, the only reason I'm responding to you and gave you my receipt is because we both chose to purchase the same truck. Pretty damn cool if you ask me.

13. Apr 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Amen to that. Very well put, very succinct. I too owe a lot of thanks to members of this forum and am very sorry if I veered off of the subject hijacking this thread. There is a LOT of good info in this thread and a LOT of VERY knowledgeable and smart members on this forum, and you are spot on when you say that we are lucky to get the info from fellow enthusiasts.
    Thanks again for your help and to everyone who takes the time out to share their experience and info.
    Ken

14. Apr 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    Yeah with my truck I have had mustangs to corvettes try to merge by hitting the gas and fly by then I hit mine and they look good behind me but if you slow down later its always nice to see that guy/girls face because your driving a tacoma :D

15. Apr 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM
    Bee22971

Bee22971 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD
    King 2.5 C/O, DSM UCAs, all pro leafs, and AllPro Sliders
    Sub.

I need a better paying job.

16. Apr 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I am broke, but had a credit card offer for no interest until June, 2015 so I am on the payment plan. If it hadn't been for that, and the great deal I go on it there is no way I would have bought this puppy. Can't wait to get it installed. This is the first time I have been really excited about ANY project in a LONG time. I lead a dull life.
    Ken

17. Apr 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    TRDtexasTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    +1 to you sir ^^^^

18. Apr 26, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    When a mod brings out the inner child, you know it is a worthy addition. :cool:

19. Apr 26, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    You can say that again.

20. Apr 27, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    TRDtexasTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner

Products Discussed in

To Top