1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pros and cons about TRD supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TRDSilverBullet, Mar 16, 2014.

1. May 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    What?

2. May 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

I'm quite sure he meant the SC.

3. May 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    OK, just kidding.
    I didn't really get on it too much on the way home and haven't driven it a lot since. I am boing for a run in a little while and changed the TRD filter that came with the kit back to the AFE washable (non-oiled) filter. I was a little surprised that it wasn't as much of an ass kicker as I thought it would be.
    I asked the mechanic how it drove when he took it for a test drive and he said the same, that he wasn't super impressed. He said it could take the ECU a while to self adjust. Could also be that I am running larger tires and a 3" lift?
    Anyway, I think it is too soon t give REAL feedback other than initial response. I will keep posting updates though.
    Ken

4. May 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Sorry for the smarts ass remark, just trying out (poorly) for the forum jester.

5. May 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Check to see if the disgronficator switch was installed backwards..:rolleyes:...I have 33's and lifted and mine screams...

6. May 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    Stomp on it from a stop with VSC turned off. If it isn't burning your tires (actually tire* one-tire-fire ftl) all the way through 1st and 2nd it seems you have a problem.

When mine was installed I had larger tires as well, and it was a huge difference.

7. May 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I did take it for a spin a while ago, before I read these last few posts. I think that AWF ROWD is right, the disgronficator switch was probably installed backwards. I heard that if that happens it can trash the emalgomator valve as well:)
    Anyway I was going about 15 or 2o mph an stepped on it. MAN! that baby was up to sixty like right NOW! I haven't stepped on it off the line yet, but will try that next. Don't want to have too much fun at once:)
    I have been emailing Gadget at URD to see what he recommends to boost up the power and he suggested a CAI, then the Fuel Pump upgrade and then the stealth pulley Just more stuff to add to the "Wish List". Somehow, even though I am broke, I just get the feeling I haven't spent enough money on her yet...
    Ken

8. May 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    don't forget the URD LT, Y-pipe, and maf calibrator ;)

OH did I mention losing the mechanical fan too? Switch to a Electric fan, free up even more horsepower :D

I can keep on going :)

9. May 2, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Gadget is dead on....
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRHXCTA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. May 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Yeah, that's the ticket! was also thinking of installing electric fans too (someday when I have money again :) ), that will be down the road a bit though.
    BTW One of the mechanics I was talking to said that Toyota makes a special Taco for Mexico. Apparently it comes with an electric fan assembly and no pulley driven fan. The reason being that there is not enough air through the cooling elements (radiator, etc.). He said that it improves the AC performance drastically, and you can order the parts from Toyota for the mod. I don't think that there will be enough rom for that install with the SC though (the trans oil co0ler and SC cooler get in he way.
    Thanks again guys.
    Ken

11. May 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    double dee

double dee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
  12. May 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    STiLL WILL

STiLL WILL MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt [again, not WILL]
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Sport 4wd
    Yes, I sold my '13 Taco. :'(
    I wouldnt recommend doing ANYTHING that increases your boost on the supercharger until you get the pump done first, but that's just me....that is going to tax your stock FP even more.

13. May 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    double dee

double dee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Was it pretty simple to install? I know you have to drop the tank and have it as close to empty as possible. 1 or 2 man job and time to complete?

14. May 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Fuel pump first, like Still Will said.

Less than 5 gallons will make it really easy. 2 is easier than one, but 1 can still do it.

15. May 5, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Gotcha, thanks guys. Looks like the fuel pump is first (when I get some money)...

Alms, Alms for the Super Charger Owner...

OK, so Fuel Pump kit, CAI and then URD pulley. Got it.
    Thanks again guys,
    Ken

16. May 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    :thumbsup:

17. May 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    AEmedic

AEmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    Honestly, can you get away with the stealth pulley under warranty?

18. May 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I doubt it. If I had to take the truck into the dealership for warranty work, I would put the stock pulley back on.
    Ken

19. May 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM
    AWF ROWD

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    Technically no......but thats why they call it stealth.....;)

20. May 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    they wouldnt even know most likely.. its called a "stealth" pulley for a reason. You would never know mine has one.

The Fuel pump isnt too bad. Myself and another member swapped mine out in a couple hours.

Edit: damn you Doc. lol

Products Discussed in

To Top