1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pros and Cons to Synthetic Oil?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2004Taco, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Jan 18, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    You're just asking for trouble if you air your tires up to what the sidewalls say. Those values are the MAX pressures those tires can handle. Remember that air expands when it get hot so airing it up that high can get you into serious trouble. Just follow what it says in the manual and you'll be fine.

2. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Yeah I realise that! I got all mine set at 35. I just know some poeple that put there tire pressure up close to what the side wall say's, bc they think they will get better gas mileage. But I just tell them that thats a bad idea, for safety concern. :)

3. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD PreRunner
    The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

The pounds per square inch (psi) pressure number branded on the tire's sidewall identifies the maximum cold inflation pressure that specific tire is rated to hold. However, the tire's maximum pressure is not necessarily the correct pressure for every vehicle upon which the tire can be used (almost all vehicle manufacturers' recommended tire inflation pressures are less than the tires' maximum pressure).

Therefore when checking and adjusting tire inflation pressures, the "right" inflation pressures are those provided by the vehicle manufacturer, not the "maximum" inflation pressure branded on the tire's sidewall. The vehicle manufacturer's pressure recommendation can be found on the vehicle's tire information placard label, as well as in the vehicle owner's manual.

i found this and a lot of other great reading at:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

cadman

4. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    2004Taco

2004Taco [OP] Financially Irresponsible

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5 TRD
    hahah its cool. I shouldve search about it. Just curious because i hear good and bed about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top