1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pro's Con's of a 3" or 6" lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by NiceTaco, Nov 25, 2008.

?

What lift do you prefer

1. 6 inch

293 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. 3 inch

953 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. Mar 28, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i think anything over 4" is pointless unless your going to be like mud bogging or crawling. And since you said you arent going to do and major off roading, the 3" will serve you the most purpose, i say if your going to go 6" (and not do any major off roading) get an f-350 and just jack that up... just my $.02

just go long travel

2. Mar 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    canuck_tacoma

canuck_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    1.5" Eibach Front Coil Lift, Rear TSB, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's
    Being from Toronto, I'm in Kelowna, you need to consider what you are going to be doing with your truck. Don't forget the winter driving and traffic jams.

If you're going to be just camping and fishing with your truck, hitting service roads and a little rougher get a 3" lift or lower with some 32's.

I think the best truck's on here are the ones with 3" lifts and running those 255/85/16 M/T's. They look very utility and tough. 6" lifts, to me, look like show trucks. Nice, but not purpose driven.

I just did a 2" spacer lift and don't like it, will be tossing in some coils that give me 1.5 to 2" of lift and will be running 32" BFG A/T's. This will keep my truck drivable in traffic, snow, but will give me some more clearance for forest service roads. I would love to run those 255/85/16 M/T's but they are not good on the ice and snow and I don't want to have to swap out to winter tires every winter.

There is no right answer to your question.

3. Mar 28, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust

x2

4. Mar 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    SuperD

SuperD Mall Cruiser Pilot

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    ProComp 6" Stage II, 18x9 Moto Metal 955's, Cooper Discoverer STT 305/60R18, K&N FIPK, Go-Rhino Stainless side steps, Redline Elite hood struts, Magnaflow muffler, Delta Alum. Toolbox, Husky Liners F/R, Window tint
    Sometimes the purpose can simply be it makes me smile like a schoolboy every time I go to get in it. Different priorities for different people.

In my area, there are no rocks to crawl on, mountains to climb, and not alot of trails that haven't been chewed up by trucks running 44" mudders or 4-wheelers. Usually, when I want to go off-roading, I take this....
    [​IMG]

and my truck, with the 6" lift, will pull the trailer to wherever that may be :D

5. Mar 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    canuck_tacoma

canuck_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 Tacoma Access Cab
    1.5" Eibach Front Coil Lift, Rear TSB, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's
    Don't get me wrong, I think the Tacoma's look awesome jacked up! Gives me the twitch in the pants. But for me I would go for the lower lift.

Just like I am attracted to dirty girls but I wouldn't get hitched to one.

6. Mar 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    That is quite the comparison, I might have to remember that one.

7. Mar 30, 2009 at 6:17 AM
    SilverSeven

SilverSeven Rock Solid Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    6" 35s mud and scratched to shit
    mmmmm sluts

8. Apr 6, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    mainland_newfie

mainland_newfie Mainland Newfie

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Tacoma
    skid plate, side step rails, new rims, hose clamp, 20% tint, G4 Tonneau cover, JVC 7 in double din stereo/dvd
    I want this bumper sticker or decal for my back window, but I'm also in canada and looking for a 3 inch lift. all for street driving, any ideas not looking for cheapest just want some ideas, I have another thread here for that too, just not many people writing to it

9. Apr 14, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    hulusuit

hulusuit Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    '04 tacoma 6" Fabtech on 33's
    6" Fabtech Lift Kit, brush bar, SR5
    Go with the FabTech 6". It drives great on and off-road. You won't be sorry.

[​IMG]

10. Apr 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM
    CJH9980

CJH9980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    :D Thats awesome

11. Apr 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    hulusuit

hulusuit Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    '04 tacoma 6" Fabtech on 33's
    6" Fabtech Lift Kit, brush bar, SR5
    Yah it's quite the head turner, let me tell you. Every lifted truck that passes me wants to race. It's pretty funny...

12. Jun 7, 2009 at 2:14 AM
    Kenny650

Kenny650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    What's a drop bracket? Correct me if I am wrong, but, if your going with a 6" ProComp or Fabtech, you don't have to cut the crossmember. Right?

13. Jun 7, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    A drop bracket is a large bracket that all the suspension parts mount to as part of the lift.

And I'm pretty sure there is notching or cutting involved with the 6" kits I've seen...

14. Jun 7, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I am in awe when i look at this post...I'm not trying to piss anyone off for sure, but I am from northern idaho in a little town called Pierce (pop 600 or so) next to a wilderness all the way to montana and we do some pretty severe wheeling. Nobody who is serious where i come from gets a 3" lift. that kind of lift is usually (not always)for the guys who either dont have the money or want too many things at once so they budge on the lift price to get exhausts too. you can not tell me that a 3" is better than a 6". however you can tell me that a 3" suits your purposes just fine and i will take that as reality but dont try to feed people that you can go anywhere a 6" can go. they didnt push thier trucks to thier limit if you were able to follow them. It's just common sense. again dont get me wrong, as i said it probably suits your purposes but a 6" inch is NOT just for show. they are the "go big or go home" guys/gals. I have nothing against 3" lifts just people trying to front that it will go just as many places as a 6". I'v been wheeling a long time. granted it was up north maybe different terrain than more south but never have i let a 3" keep up with me. lets keep in mind it all depends on the quality of the dirver and spotters of course:) No hard feelings guys I just couldnt believe the postings here.

Hopefuly this doesnt get me banished from TW, i love this place:)

15. Jun 7, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Actually, The "Go Big or Go Home" lift is an SAC. Any long travel lift is going to be much better than a 6" lift on the Tacoma. Being as a 6" lift, achieves its lift by dropping the front drive parts, and inserting spacers, or what not, you loose alot of strength, and ground clearance. The ground clearance is given back by the use of larger tires. In many cases, a good 3" lift gets you the same ground clearance under the front diff, and you can run 33" tires. 35" tires give you 1" more clearance than the 33" ones, and if 1" is the difference between getting over someting, and not, then your doing it wrong.

16. Jun 7, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    white+Peal

white+Peal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Magaflow catback exhaust, AEM CAI, front bumper made by famous fabrication, JBA long tube headers, All pro back bumper, BPF raptor style grill, 3' toytech lift
    i like the 6' lift but thats just me.

17. Jun 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    I understand what your saying about about differential clearance and youre absolutely right but that should never be a problem if your wheeling right. clearance under the diffs is not as important as clearance under the center of your truck(even though it is a plus for sure). nobody gets a lift to get thier diff off the ground, thats what tires are for. and i understand that you get lift to get bigger tires as well but your diff is not really the idea here. if my tires are on the obstacle then im not worried about my diff cuz it is clearing(not always depending on the type of obstacle but most of the time yes). u can almost always get a tire over an obstacle but can your underneath clear it once your diff has passed? im just saying from experience that i have left many 3" lifts behind (of course we must consider driver error) but in TW it is to each his own so i'm just voiceing my opinion and confusion with what ive read. i jsut get the vibe that people feel thier 3" will take them further than a 6".

You can also take the go big or go home principle to the extreme if you want...i mean you could say why didnt i build a monster truck? there comes a point when center of gravity matters and i have always liked the 6 inch on my trucks. I will clear more than a 3" lift and this is a fact. But again to each his own. I guess this is one of those topics where you could talk about it forever and not get anywhere:confused:

Forgot to mention tires, which also matter a lot here when it comes to keeping up.

18. Jun 8, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    SilverSeven

SilverSeven Rock Solid Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    6" 35s mud and scratched to shit
  19. Jun 9, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    SameOldTrik2

SameOldTrik2 New Member

Member:
    New Orleans,La.
    Vehicle:
    2002 Prerunner SR5
    3"suspension lift with 33" Dick Cepek Tires,Stainlees steel brush guard with 2-6"lights,Tube chrome nerf bars
    I have a 2002 PreRunner & I have a 3" suspension lift with 33" tires & it rides great.

20. Jun 14, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    Jazzfan

Jazzfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Draper, UT
    Vehicle:
    07 BK-DC TRD Sport 4x4
    6"Lift, 20"Rims 33"Tires, exaust, intake, stereo, etc.
    6" hands down!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top