1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PS4 Lag - Hardwired

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by gkomo, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 29, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    gkomo

gkomo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    I'm trying to figure something out with my PS4 gaming, especially during COD.

Here is my setup:

- AT&T ADSL, we pay for the 48MB/sec download speed
    - The modem is supplied by AT&T so whatever model that is. I searched a little bit online for better modems but the ADSL seems to limit what's out there
    - From the modem i have a 6ft CAT5 patch cord going to a powerline adapter in a nearby outlet
    - The other powerline adapter is no more than 20ft away (same circuit) just in the next room
    - From that powerline adapter I have another 6ft CAT5 patch cord connecting straight to the PS4
    **Note, the powerline adapters are capable of 1000Mb/sec which should be around 125MB/sec
    - PS4 is set to LAN Cable internet in the settings

I'm still getting crazy lag while online gaming. My Ping stats show all green/strongest connection while in game but there is like a half second lag time between pressing buttons and what happens on screen.

I ran the in PS4 Connection Test (through the console) and get like max download speed of 5-7MB/sec and an upload speed of around 1-2MB/sec. That doesn't seem right off the bat. Once however, I ran the connection test and it showed 27MB/sec download so i doubt it has anything to do with the powerline adapters, plus they get great reviews. Even still, 6MB/sec should be fine for online gaming anyways.

I have the connection setup through the console just as the default "easy" setup.

Besides internet connection speeds/connection other factors may be the bluetooth PS4 controllers (I have two and tried both with same outcome). I also am using a pretty old 720p plasma TV (spare TV) that might be the culprit.

When I had the PS4 plugged directly into the router and on a newer Samsung 1080p LCD LED everything worked flawlessly, super crisp gaming.

Anything else I should try? Plugging directly back into the router is not an option unfortunately.

2. Aug 29, 2017 at 8:29 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    It's the power line adapter. Those things suck. Just get a long cable and run it around the wall

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  3. Aug 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    I worked for spectrum
    The powerline adaptors are pry not the problem. Do internet test speed through the PlayStation and see what you're getting also download speed does not matter when playing games, what is your upload speed?!?
    Also atts broadband so they say it is even though you're still using the phone line like DSL is not the greatest

4. Aug 30, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    gkomo

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    We ended up calling AT&T to ask them. She ran some tests over the phone and it was determined that our Firmware on the modem was out of date and she did an update. Now it's working great... I was really irritated with this because how long have we been dealing with shitty internet because AT&T didn't auto update our modem firmware? I'm happy its working now but that's bullcrap.

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  5. Oct 10, 2017 at 2:02 PM
    gkomo

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    M'eh, ran fine for a bit, now i'm getting almost 100% consistent mid game ping lag while playing BO3. Works great for first half of game, then there is like a minute worth of crazy ping lag where I typically just run and hide somewhere till it passes, then the last half of the game is fine. So weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top