1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PS4 / Xbox One... Reviews in Progress

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by RearViewMirror, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Apr 9, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    2 stores in my area have it on hold.

I plan to pick it up today after work .. $20 is not a bad investment so....

2. Apr 9, 2015 at 5:00 PM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    Reached the father boss. Cant get past his werewolf form. But the game is great still, scenery is amazing. It literally looks like everywhere could be walked to

3. Apr 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Yeah, I hated the Souls series when I first tried it. Really hard, and mechanics and menu navigation so simple it seemed cheesy and cheap. But once you get into one of them, you realize how brilliant that approach is.

Unfortunately my job just got much bigger and I haven't had much game time. Now I gotta find some people to delegate shit to.

4. Apr 9, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    I never played any of the soul games so i probably missed out. I think the difficulty is what makes this game fun, i know i couldnt beat it in a day or even a couple if i played all day. Any other game is finish-able in half a day max

5. Apr 11, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    Anybody playing dying light? Xbox one? I just got it and have been trying to find some guys to co-op with.

6. Apr 14, 2015 at 12:08 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Just finished the Shadow of Mordor DLC , The Bright Lord

7. Apr 14, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    First off, this is a pretty inexpensive wheel/pedal combo, and I have only used it for a couple of hours on DriveClub. I was on the fence due to mediocre reviews, but took the plunge anyway.

Considering a regular controller is $50, ~$90 for a wheel/pedal setup is not bad.

The wheel and pedals are certainly not high-end, but the construction does not feel too cheap. Not rock solid, but not flimsy. We will see how that holds up over time. Buttons feel decent, but not as high quality as the standard PS4 controller. You don't need to use them much anyway. Layout of the buttons is good -- you don't have to hunt for them, and you don't accidentally press them when driving. There is no touch pad, nor any button that performs that function. However, in DriveClub, they have mapped that function to another button if you are using a wheel. The wheel itself is somewhat small, but I didn't find that to be an issue.

The wheel is not force-feedback, but it has good linear tension. I thought I might miss the force feedback of my Logitech, but the linear tension (slightly more resistance the further you turn the wheel) is a good substitute. What I really don't miss is the noise the force feedback wheel made -- it was quite loud. This wheel is completely silent. Center dead zone is about right, not too small to make things twitchy and not so large that you have to move the wheel a lot to make minor adjustments. Only 270 degrees rotation, so if you are into truck racing games, you may want to look for something with more rotation. Making small steering adjustments is easy, much easier for me than using a controller.

Clamping mechanism is good and should work on various thickness tables/desks. However, if your surface has wide trim around the edge, that may be an issue depending on the trim width.

Paddle shifters feel solid and make an audible click.

Pedals are always an issue for me. I tend to keep my heel up and use my whole leg rather than keeping my heel on the floor and rotating my ankle. The pedal springs are pretty strong, and without your heel holding the platform down, the platform wants to flip up off the floor when you press the pedal. I have a cheesy stand that I built that captures the pedal platform front and rear to keep it from sliding, but it doesn't keep it from flipping up (yet). The rubber pads on the bottom are small and will probably not do much to keep the platform from slipping on a hard floor. Overall the pedals feel good, actually better than my old Logitech, but I will need to do some work on my stand to keep them from moving around.

Overall, I think it's a great value for the casual racer

8. Apr 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror [OP] Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I traded in DriveClub

Jk :p

9. Apr 14, 2015 at 11:11 AM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    I picked it up for $20 and still have the same feeling about it as when I got it at launch.

Overly difficult weird physics tech demo.

It cant seem to figure out if its arcade or sim play style.

Also its as slow as Gran Turismo getting going.

I lost interest after an hour or so.

I still have my bloodborne and final Fantasy type 0 sealed on my tv stand for last 3 days too.. :confused:

I want a new DIRT game.. I play the first 3 all the time.

10. Apr 14, 2015 at 12:00 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I dunno man. I'm really liking it. The pacing seems fine to me as I have a steady stream of cars coming in all the time. Making a club also helps as it opens up new things in the game also. I "personally" like how it drives and it seems "to me" to be a little closer to the sim side since each car has it's own physics. You can tell when you're driving a mid engine car as it want's to steer from the middle (if that makes sense?), a 4wd car won't drift much but tends to understeer, and a car like the Venom is damn near impossible to make it around the track without burying it into a wall at 250mph :eek:

The graphics and engine sounds are spot on IMO. Almost bordering on photorealistic.

11. Apr 14, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    The graphics are nice compared to a ps1 or ps2 game for sure, I feel the ps3 and xbox 360 graphics are good for a lot of the later released racing games for what they are as well.

I would prefer more content and better gameplay over pretty any day.

Gran Turismo 6 had so much potential but fell flat like 5 did sadly, they need to revamp and remaster it or shoot out of the gate strong with 7.

GT3 is still my hands down favorite, who knows how many hundreds of hours that game has stolen from me over the past 15 years.

12. Apr 14, 2015 at 12:50 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I agree with GT. They were a let down. I'm hoping Project Cars is as good as I'm expecting.

13. Apr 14, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    I also really like the original Grid but Grid 2 and autosport left me feeling ripped off.

I want a new Project Gotham Racing... I was a fan since the Dreamcast days with Metropolis street racer.

Also Another Test Drive game could be good.

Burnout needs a release but I think the IP is dead.

Need for speed Underground 1-2 are the best imho of that series as well.

Atv offroad fury games were amazing too. they went all wacky when they merged with moto.. :(

14. Apr 14, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  15. Apr 14, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Oh man... Project Gotham 2 was the very first time I played a game online. My wife used to get so pissed at me because I would play that non stop. Still one of my all time favorite racing games.

16. Apr 14, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I played nearly every Rally game that came out - WRC, Colin McRae, all the DiRTs. Not a big fan of the gymkhana stuff they added in, mostly a fan of the real rally stage racing and running a full season. So I guess I lean toward sim racing, but I don't like having to spend a bunch of time tweaking the car -- I just want to drive.

So far, I like the Point-to-Point stages in DriveClub, but haven't tried much else yet.

Agree somewhat with Craig Christ (just glanced at the clock, and it's 4:20), physics in DC seem pretty good so far. Each car has its own characteristics and takes a bit to figure out. FWD, RWD, AWD all handle like they should, and switching from one to another can really throw you off. Weather and day/night cycles add to the realism.

Last night I finally started to get into the zone and actually drive the car rather than just trying to steer it around the track. Felt really good.

17. Apr 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Is that in game footage?

18. Apr 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Claims to be, I would assume PC version.

19. Apr 15, 2015 at 6:58 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Ah. Figured it was Console only. I can only imagine what GT7 will look like.

20. Apr 15, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed

Products Discussed in

To Top