1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pulled fuel injectors on 90 model truck, now question.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by luk8272, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Purchased a 1990 4x4 truck. Started the TLC. I replaced oil and filter, Trans oil and filter, Spark plugs, plug wires, MAF Sensor, Battery, Diff fluid both front and rear, and fuel filter. I had a few plugs that were in poor condition just looked nasty (dirty not burnt up) slightly oily. Since I have changed them I pull them randomly to look for wear all seems good. After all of that the fuel mileage is still horrible. I then noticed a fuel leak from my fuel rail. I pulled the Plentum and noticed that where the injector goes into the rail it was just pooring fuel. I removed the rail to find there were no seals on that injector. I pulled all of the injectors to check them. Purchased a seal kit for each injector. I have 1 injector that is very oily and wet where it slips into the boot. What is causing this, another words what do I replace now?

2. Jun 24, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    PCV valve maybe? You may just need to clean the plenum out with a good seafoam treatment. Is this a 22RE?

3. Jun 24, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I wish it were the 22re. Its the 3.slow.

Could you explain how cleaning the Plenum would help? The injector is down in the cylinder as is the spark plug, I don't see how the injector could get oily unless their were some seals leaking but I am just guessing here as I have never torn into a fuel injected motor like this before.

4. Jun 24, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    The injectors aren't in the cylinder like the plugs are.

5. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Oil can get in the pcv vac line, it goes through the intake.
    Check your compression. Low compression means you are getting a lot of blowby, which also means more flow throught the pcv system.
    Also, check your engine with a vac gauge. That will give you a quick check of your engine's health.

6. Jun 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I'll get on those tomorrow today I am playing with my daughter. I'll have to use a shop to do these as I no longer have either tool I need. Will having the engine apart affect these test, another words will I have to reassemble it?

7. Jun 24, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The heads, crank, pistons and rods have to be assembled. To do a compression test.
    The engine needs to be running to do a vacuum test. There's a chart on the internet to read the vacuum gauge. If I remember correctly, a steady 15psi of vacuum is good at idle.

8. Jun 24, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    You can get a compression tester at your local auto parts store. They just screw into the spark plug hole. You simply manually turn the motor over until you get a reading on the cylinder that you have the tester in. No disassembly required.

They look like this

[​IMG]

9. Jun 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    It takes four complete turns of the crank to get an accurate reading from one cylinder. Use the starter and let it cool inbetween cylinders. Make sure electrical is disconnected from injectors and coils.

10. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the refresher man I won't lie I have become spoiled. All these new vehicles fun with no issues. I Used to have an 87 chevy that I worked on every weekend. Then I traded up to an 02 then an 07 tacoma. Making life simple. The things you can forget in a matter of 7yrs.

Products Discussed in

To Top