1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pulling a camper

Discussion in 'Towing' started by PPD934, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Jul 5, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    PPD934

PPD934 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 silver double TRD
    Running bars, tinted window (, TSB mod ,885 coils, OME shocks up front, AAl and procomp 9000 out back, partially debadged/black out the others, weathertech floor mats, grillcraft grill, TRD skid plate
    I have a jayco popup camper now and am looking to buy a larger unit since my family may be growing very soon. I am looking at a jay flight or a jay flight g2 by Jayco. The dry weight of the units are 4400 lbs and 4800lbs so around 5000 lbs dry with hitch weight and all. I know the max is 6000 lbs on my taco but is anyone carrying anything close to this. the campers have tandem axles with electric brakes on both axles. I am not into cross country pulls usually about a 100 mile round trips.

06 DC 4x4 V6

thanks

2. Jul 5, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    Good question. Im trying to talk the wife into buying a camper and was wondering what range i should be looking in.

3. Jul 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    VancityCK

VancityCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic AC TRD Offroad
    I tow a 7x12 tandem axle enclosed trailer with my Tacoma. Loaded with quads and gear it comes to about 4300 lbs. My truck has no problem with the weight of the trailer (I also have a weight distributing hitch and the tow package), since driving in town with it is okay. The only time I have issues with towing the trailer is on the highway, when the aerodynamic properties of what is essentially a wheeled brick come into play. 0-50mph, no problem. 50-75mph the truck strains a bit. That said, she'll cruise on the highway at 75mph easily enough in 4 (auto trans). Drinks fuel like a mofo though:eek:

I'd be fairly confident in the ability of the Tacoma to tow close to its rated limit as long as the trailer brakes are up to par.

4. Jul 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    canadiankid

canadiankid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD SPORT
    I pull a Grey Wolf (forest river product). It's dry at 4550 and total length from hitch to bumper is 25'9". The truck pulls it pretty good with no problems keeping up with traffic on the flats. On hills I have to go slower but the truck still does a good job in my opinion. I use the Reese dual cam setup for WD and sway control (works great).

5. Jul 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    PPD934

PPD934 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 silver double TRD
    Running bars, tinted window (, TSB mod ,885 coils, OME shocks up front, AAl and procomp 9000 out back, partially debadged/black out the others, weathertech floor mats, grillcraft grill, TRD skid plate
    Sounds good, The G2 is about 29 feet long hitch to bumper. I think it will be fine just lil worried before I jump into a 16000 dollar rig....

Thanks

6. Jul 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    canadiankid

canadiankid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD SPORT
    I wouldn't do 29 feet. I capped myself at a 26 max but that is just me. You have to be careful of the dry weight #'s as well. Look on the inside of the cupboards in the trailer and there should be a specs sheet for the actual dry weight. I know on line mine said it had a dry weight of 4181 but on the trailer it said 4550 (this is because of options). Just something to think about. What G2 are you looking at?

7. Jul 7, 2009 at 5:04 AM
    meafordmike

meafordmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4/ 4Dr 6 speed, Sport/ Towing
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    I pull a Jayco 213 at about 24ft, and 4500Lbs ( loaded for camping at scale) pulls no problems.
    Make sure you get a good WD hitch and sway bars. I pull mine lots on weekends about 200km round trips and am heading half way across Canada to N.S. later this summer.

Products Discussed in

To Top