1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pulsating Tacoma

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by blkshe3p, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    blkshe3p

blkshe3p [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    Guys,

Need some help. I just replaced my tires, rotors, bearings, and brake pads. I still have a stong pulsating movement when I hit the breaks hard above speeds 50 mph. Anything slower is a smooth stop. Any ideas what this could be?

everything is basic on this truck, no lifts, gadgets, etc. Just use it for hwy use, got 159k on it.

Thanks for the help...

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    only_K

only_K Future Owner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Currently searching for dream truck...
    TBD
    axle wrap?

3. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    blkshe3p

blkshe3p [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    compared to what it was like, i can def get use to the way it is now! Seems to be coming for the front right though

4. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Does the pedal bounce under your foot? If so, you could have a drum that is out of round. Try gently pulling the ebrake at speed to see if the vibration shows up. NOTE use caution when doing this test to prevent the rear wheels from locking up. Always do in a safe open area away from traffic.

If the shake is in the steering wheel and the pedal it can be front only or a combination. Divide and conquer.

I also have to add that new does not mean good. I have seen new rotors that were dropped or improperly tightened down (wheels not torqued etc) that will be warped or out of parallel and cause a vibration.

Let us know what you find.

5. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheels balanced when replacing the tires?

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    blkshe3p

blkshe3p [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    Thanks for the responses, Ill keep plugging away and try to figure it out. For some reason the front passenger side is where my truck was/is really messed up. I was a dumbass for lacking maintenace on my suspension and breaks plus living in Louisiana it is complete hell on your vehicle i.e. bad roads. Thus the reason I'm here to learn a little from you guys. Mechanic said it was rotors and break pads, but its still there after replacing.

Shadow-I will try the pedal thing, honestly I cant remember. New tires were aligned before rotors and pads, does that matter?

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Did you properly seat your rotors?

8. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Bad tires tend to pulse at speed with or without brakes. If it only does it with brakes applied then just pay close attention to details. Leads you to places to look.

You will occasionally see a vehicle with a loose steering or suspension component do this. I tie rod or ball joint with play can become "unsettled" when the brakes are applied and the loading changes. Have someone help you with a "dry park check" test. Place the vehicle on a flat area (concrete) with tires on the ground. Have someone rock the steering wheel from side to side about two inches total (engine off works best and can allow you to hear noise easier). Look at all the tie rods and ball joints. Place your hand on the inner tie rod (where it goes into the rack boot) and feel for play or excess knocking. (Another reason for engine off.....safety)

The right front of a vehicle is usually the first to show signs of wear. That is the roughest part of the road and the side to more likely find curbs and such. Check it out well, you will find it. Just be orderly about the exploration. It can be fixed.

9. Mar 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    ABS kicking in?

if braking hard at speed, the brakes should apply in a pulsating motion to prevent locking them up...

Products Discussed in

To Top