1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Punctured rad, maybe ac condenser

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by icebreaker, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    icebreaker

icebreaker [OP] New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Double Cab
    None
    I stupidly went through some ice that was too thick going too fast and it cracked some plastic but worse it came up under the bumper and totaled my rad.

I've never changed a rad before but I think I'll be alright, but I want to make sure the condenser is alright before I replace the rad. I have one of those cheap pressure gauges from an AC recharge kit, but I'm unsure of the exact way to go about checking for a leak.

Side note, the ice also took out the plastic covers from the fog light holes, any tips on where to find replacements, I doubt I'll have luck at the pick and pull but I'll try.

Here's a pick of the damage to the rad, you can see the bottom of the condenser got it a bit too so that's why I'm worried about it leaking too.

[​IMG]

PC040012.jpg

2. Dec 4, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    Does the compressor still cycle with A/C or defrost on? If it does you at least haven't lost a gross amount of refrigerant. If not then you probably punched a hole in it.That will be your first clue. Its hard to tell but the line coming off the condenser in the pic looks to be bent as well. That may also need to be replaced.

3. Dec 4, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    who cares if the a/c works. it still needs to be replaced. those runners are so small it does not take much of a bend to close them up...I would replace it, if it were my truck

4. Dec 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    I would have to agree if it were my truck I would do the same. But I am super anal about my vehicles.. :rolleyes:

5. Dec 4, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Why? The tyranny cooler is separate mounted up on the drivers side all by itself. Not like one of those multi-layer rads. There is only two layers there the AC and the coolant.

To Top