1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Purchased to keep vs. Purchased to sell

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Honda2Toyota, Dec 3, 2020.

?

Did you purchase your truck with the intention of keeping it or selling it down the road?

1. Driving it until the wheels fall off; this thing ain't going nowhere.

78.2%
  2. These things hold value so well, I always intended to resell eventually!

21.8%
  1. Dec 3, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I voted drive it till it croaks. I bought almost new, 6600 miles. It is a 2WD single cab so not exactly something popular, but it fills all my needs for now as well as the foreseeable future.

IMO I hate having a payment on vehicles, the only way it really makes sense to me is keep the vehicle at least double the years you finance. I financed for 5 years and am on 8 years now total..at 113K I would like to see it hit 200K.

2. Dec 3, 2020 at 3:50 PM
    holvey

holvey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD OR
    This is something that bugs me when some says they will never buy a new car and only buy used. On something like the Tacoma with high resale, it makes more sense to buy new because the interest rates that Toyota can offer over 5 or 6 years. Interest charges on a 2% 5 year loan (new) vs 5% 5 year loan(used) add up to 3k on a 35-40k truck. Makes buying new really appealing on something like a Tacoma.

FauxPro[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 3, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    I used to keep vehicles roughly a year..but they were 8-10 years old or more. I could buy cheap at auctions, do some basic work myself, and usually get my money back (purchase and maintainence, maybe a little more) selling them. Pretty much the vehicle broke even except for operating expenses.

Accurate. My 2006 Colorado I bought new and put on 80K I paid about $18K and got $6.5K trade in. Could have made a little more myself but I wanted it out of my life after the engine blew.

I can see it if someone lives alone and doesn't have the second vehicle there in the house if theirs is not working perhaps. Or in the case of my mom, she leased a new Honda CRV because she needed AWD very quickly and drives about 5K miles a year.

We almost always have A car payment, but we try to keep them for 10 years or more. We also stagger it so we can do our best to avoid it. Only exception was 2008 when her 96 Tacoma was bought back, my truck was $300 and we added another $175 or so to that with hers. That said, 3 years of that payment for a 3 year old Rav4....

I bought used but I got 0.9 percent from Toyota so no complaints, but using your numbers I don't disagree with your logic of course.

4. Dec 3, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    You reach a point financially where it makes sense to sell and move on. Exactly when you do that is not an exact science. If buying new I'd say a minimum of 5 years and closer to 10 is probably better. I've found that at about 10 years you'll get 1/2 of your investment back in trade value and will most likely never have to pay for a major repair. With that much to apply as a down payment you won't have to borrow a lot of money and with today's low interest rates will pay less in interest on that small loan than you'd pay a mechanic to keep it running.

If you're smart you make a small payment for 5 years, then no payment for about 5 years. During the 5 years with no payment putting $100/month or so aside will give you another $6000 when it comes time to buy the next one. I'd never advise trading if you're going to end upside down on the value of the new truck. Keep it until you have it paid off at a minimum.

If you wait too long you risk paying out for expensive repairs, your current truck will only go down in value, and new ones just get more expensive every year. Driving till the wheels fall off means no payment for a longer period of time, but bigger payments when you do plus bigger repair bills.

On the other hand an argument can be made for keeping one 15-20 years than completely rebuilding it. New paint, new engine, interior etc. It can be done for less than the cost of buying new. Especially if you can do most of the work yourself.

black_angus1 likes this.
  5. Dec 3, 2020 at 4:16 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    I’m not saying it’s bad for everyone. It’s just a different mindset that’s all. I chose no debt ever. Home, cars etc all paid for in cash and making less than you’d think, cause I wasn’t busy with money in money out. So instead of retiring at 65 like most I chose 15 years sooner, do and buy what I want when it went and never blink an eye. But like said it’s just two different mindsets. Although my way I will admit takes a lot more discipline.

audoni likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM
    Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Va
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma - 2018 Tacoma
    To answer you question:
    I purchased my '96 Tacoma new because I needed a 4WD delivery truck for my auto parts stores. Well 24 years and 414,000 trouble-free miles latter I still have it. Actually, just came in from a drive. :thumbsup:

I have no plans of ever selling it or my 2018.

IMG_1372 (3).jpg

7. Dec 3, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    Grumpy Jesse

Grumpy Jesse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco That Used To Be A Pro
    '18 Tacoma Dobinsons MRR front with UCA's CMC and plenty smashing in the of the tub Rear #600 leafs U-bolt Flip Can Clam 35's Custom Front High Clearance Bumper w/cheap LED's Air and Dual battery built by yours truly '85 pickup 60 and a 14B swap full width (on leafs) Fully hydro Dual T Case H1's re-centered with inner bead lock Cheap e30 Seats Flat Bed
    Buy it to keep for ever. Never buy new and expect to make some sort of profit. I have had my '85 since I was 16 (20 years) and I will never sell it. I bought my '18 pro new off the lot and never plan on selling. Buy, Beat, Build, Batter, and Build.

tree.jpg
    h.jpg

f.jpg

8. Dec 3, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    auskip07

auskip07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 TACOMA SR V6 , 4X4, AUTO, 4.88, 265/75 r16
    i bought the truck to keep until it doesnt make sense but with every intention of driving past 200k if someone doesnt hit me in Atlanta traffic.

9. Dec 3, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    AMC_Unlimited

AMC_Unlimited For he is limitless (sometimes)

Member:
    First Name:
    AMC
    Vehicle:
    Ironman Tribute Edition
    Mall Crawl Control
    I plan to keep it for as long as possible. In the event that it out lasts me, then Im gonna get buried in my Tacoma.
    :boom:

averagejp and auskip07 like this.
  10. Dec 3, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    SELAroadrunner

SELAroadrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WSNC
    Vehicle:
    17 Sport
    wheel decals
    Amen brah

MJTH and gotoman1969[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Dec 3, 2020 at 6:35 PM
    MJTH

MJTH PretenderLander

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado-Westslopebestslope
    Vehicle:
    19 OR- Land Yacht, w/ fireplace
    With the amount of blood, sweat, tears, and money I've put into my truck, you better believe I'm running it into the ground.

12. Dec 3, 2020 at 7:03 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    I see a Back To The Future influence perhaps...

Mobilefhone likes this.
  13. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    Traction

Traction Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR
    Mine is a couple thousand from being paid off. My kid will learn to drive on it in 8 years.

14. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    Mobilefhone

Mobilefhone Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off-Road 2WD Double Cab
    I leased mine at a steal to save up money to get a house. I had intended after getting settled into the house to buy a Tundra, but now that I've had it almost 2 years, I'm sad to give it up! They're great trucks, and after getting the seat risers, it's much more comfortable too.

15. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    Matt Sierra

Matt Sierra Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MT
    Maggy SC, C4 Overland front bumper
    I don't buy vehicles very often and I get rid of them even less frequently, so I like mine to last. I don't like worrying about resale value, I want to think about what's valuable to me. If the truck does what I want it to do, if I like it, and if it'll last a long time, then that's the truck for me. It's why I bought my 1990 4x4 Toyota pickup and it's why I bought my Tacoma. Honestly I'd probably still be daily driving the '90 if it had AC (and my wife hadn't wanted airbags).

auskip07 and Charlie Too like this.
  16. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:50 PM
    raguparm

raguparm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB MT
    I bought to keep for its entire life.

However, the resale value helped me decide between new or used in a roundabout way.

When I was truck hunting used 2018-2019’s we’re going for 32-34k with 10-15,000mi. A 2020 was listed at 36k. I figured the additional money was worth the brand new truck and full warranty.

Ultimately wrote a check for 34k and some change for a brand new truck.

17. Dec 3, 2020 at 9:51 PM
    tmfb16

tmfb16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3G DCOR
    Just miles
    Driving it. Got sellers remorse after letting my 1st gen go. Not gonna happen this time.

auskip07 likes this.
  18. Dec 4, 2020 at 3:09 AM
    ninernation

ninernation Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    TRDOR
    OME, ALUCAB, RCI
    I'll resell eventually when something better compels me away. It's what's keeping me from chopping the truck for a new bumper.

19. Dec 4, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    Honda2Toyota

Honda2Toyota [OP] Your Local Long Bed Enthusiast

Member:
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCLB TRDSport
    -Leer Camper Shell -Bilstein 5100 in the front and Bilstein 5100 in the rear with Icon AAL -TRDPro Front Grille -FJ Cruiser Steel Wheels with BFG AT KO2 Tires -MESOCustoms PTS Button -Prinsu Roof Rack with 40" LED Bar -ARB Awning -ARB Summit Front Bumper -ProComp front Spotlights and Cree Dual Beam combo bar -ARB skid plates -OVTune Trans Reflash
    This, too. I'm at the point where my truck will be paid off in a little around a year's time now, and the damn thing has yet to give me a major issue. Although, I will probably push both mine to learn on the ol' '96 Civic when the time comes....unfortunately it's the only vehicle we have anymore with a manual trans, and I want them to learn on that first, as I did.

Traction[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Dec 4, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    Charlie Too

Charlie Too Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I had a manual when my daughter was learning to drive years ago. I badly wanted her to learn it, but she just was not able to catch on. She seems to have never looked back on this one.

Products Discussed in

To Top