1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Purchased to keep vs. Purchased to sell

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Honda2Toyota, Dec 3, 2020.

?

Did you purchase your truck with the intention of keeping it or selling it down the road?

1. Driving it until the wheels fall off; this thing ain't going nowhere.

78.2%
  2. These things hold value so well, I always intended to resell eventually!

21.8%
  1. Dec 4, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    Honda2Toyota

Honda2Toyota [OP] Your Local Long Bed Enthusiast

Member:
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCLB TRDSport
    -Leer Camper Shell -Bilstein 5100 in the front and Bilstein 5100 in the rear with Icon AAL -TRDPro Front Grille -FJ Cruiser Steel Wheels with BFG AT KO2 Tires -MESOCustoms PTS Button -Prinsu Roof Rack with 40" LED Bar -ARB Awning -ARB Summit Front Bumper -ProComp front Spotlights and Cree Dual Beam combo bar -ARB skid plates -OVTune Trans Reflash
    Dude, nice trucks! I wish I had snagged up an older Toyota Pickup years ago, but that time period in my life was dominated by small import cars lol nonetheless, building upon and modifying the vehicles I own will always be something I do, so I'm 100% with you there.

2. Dec 4, 2020 at 5:54 AM
    SELAroadrunner

SELAroadrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WSNC
    Vehicle:
    17 Sport
    wheel decals
    I mean really, who doesn’t like to be a slave to a note....it’s what the Jones’ do, so it must me right...1st world problems

auskip07 likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:03 AM
    I_squared_r

I_squared_r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NYC/Colombia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tacoma OR DCSB 4x4
    I bought it to keep for a long time. Only way I see myself trading in the Tacoma is if I need a higher towing capacity. Right now I have a 19ft yamaha boat that is "economical" single motor, small, and little maintenance. If I decide to buy a 24ft Yamaha then I will need a full-size truck. But before that, I need to buy a house somewhere.

Tacospike likes this.
  4. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    Honda2Toyota

Honda2Toyota [OP] Your Local Long Bed Enthusiast

Member:
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCLB TRDSport
    -Leer Camper Shell -Bilstein 5100 in the front and Bilstein 5100 in the rear with Icon AAL -TRDPro Front Grille -FJ Cruiser Steel Wheels with BFG AT KO2 Tires -MESOCustoms PTS Button -Prinsu Roof Rack with 40" LED Bar -ARB Awning -ARB Summit Front Bumper -ProComp front Spotlights and Cree Dual Beam combo bar -ARB skid plates -OVTune Trans Reflash
    It's funny you say this.....my first 'learning' experience on a manual trans was in a wrangler my dad had years ago, and was NOT a positive experience for me....:rofl:

It took me a couple months and more than a few rough starts and stall-outs before it could be said that I finally had 'grasped' it. Big props to my parents for their patience on that one.....hahaha Flash-forward to a few years later, manual vehicles are the only ones I would drive.

5. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Bought mine to have for a 15+ year truck as the plan. Paid off in June. It’s not going anywhere for a long time.

6. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:09 AM
    GREENBIRD56

GREENBIRD56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    This is the fourth new truck I've bought, they usually last about 10 years before they become a money pit (at my old rate of use). The dammed Dodge only got to 9.5 tho... Anyway, my "consumption rate" has dropped so I am expecting this one has a longer life expectancy than the average.

7. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    Newwt

Newwt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    21 SUPER WHITE TRDOR 4X4
    Going to be hard to sell when that soccer mom is yelling at her kids in the back seat runs the stop sign and t bones you.

8. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:25 AM
    kzrpk5

kzrpk5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisonsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma
    TC Long Travel, SUA, Bed Cage, Fiberglass, 38", JD Fab LCA mounts, roll cage, manual hub conversion + Stickers!
    Keeping it with no plans to sell or trade. This will be my last Taco Truck. I've had 4, one of every generation since the first in 79'. In my 60's and will not have the physical capabilities to do another major project. Besides, way too many modifications done. Going all out on this one as it will be my last dance. Owned Toyotas since the 1970's and stay brand loyal. My 89' FJ62 is still runs great although it stays in storage mostly these days as I have taken to the FJ Cruiser, another rock solid vehicle. I hear a lot of griping about this and that being wrong on the newer trucks. I can honestly say I have not had any issues with any of my trucks other than normal wear items. Just lucky I guess.

AMC_Unlimited likes this.
  9. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    texas angler

texas angler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    Like many on here, this isn't my first Tacoma. Gen 1 up to present for me. My 1st gen manual access cab was my first and my favorite. But this turd gen...damn it I love it. Exactly what I wanted...even down to color although I would have "settled" for that cav blue. Damn that's purdy too.

In saying that, it isn't my daily driver right now. Stupid pandemic has been a blessing on removing my 100 mile round trip per day 5 days a week. Will things change IF I start commuting again? Doubt it. But the more I add to it/customize it, the more I want to buy a beater car to use daily and save my miles for exploring. Hope that makes sense. In all my years of driving, 2020 will go down as the year I put less than 10K on a vehicle. Weird even writing that. I've always commuted.

10. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    kzrpk5

kzrpk5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisonsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma
    TC Long Travel, SUA, Bed Cage, Fiberglass, 38", JD Fab LCA mounts, roll cage, manual hub conversion + Stickers!
    I agree with you, love the 3rd Gen. All my previous rigs were base models with MT tranny. This one has everything I like. I don't daily drive mine either as I have several Yota's in the stable, even a 2011 Raptor with 5,000 originals miles on it. Pandemic has cut miles driven off my stuff to. Wife and I don't even drive to see the Grandkids these days. That was a couple hundred miles a month. It will be over eventually..

texas angler[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:49 AM
    texas angler

texas angler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    I hear you on all of the above. That bold though. My employer finally has completely turned around their thought process on bringing some of us back. All I need is a internet connection. Feels good to finally be heard on that front. 8 more years of working from home is all I need! :D

12. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    projghost

projghost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Portland OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCLB
    Bilstein 5100's +2" front Rear Wheeler AAL +1.5" Rear Dirt King Balljoint UCA's Method 701 Wheels BFG K02 C4 Hybrid Front Bumper RCI Skid Plate Baja Designs S2 Sport Ditch Lights Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog Lights Cali Raised DItch Light Brackets CVT Mt Bachelor RTT CBI Overland Bars Cali Raised Rock Sliders Prinsu Cab Rack TheTacoGarage TRD pro grill + raptor lights CBI/prinsu Maxtrax and Rotopax mounts Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners ActionTrax boards 2g Rotopax (Gas/Water) Ironman 4x4 Compressor Agency 6 Recovery Hitch Blacked out Emblems
    yep once the sawzall comes out you better be committed to keeping the truck lol

CaptainBart45 likes this.
  13. Dec 4, 2020 at 7:10 AM
    ssd_dan

ssd_dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4
    shell, skids, sliders, suspension, bumper, winch
    I love my truck- I bought exactly what I wanted. It's paid for and the mods have begun! :welder:
    Would I sell? Not likely, as no reasonable offer would be entertained, lol.
    But if I did sell, my mods are tasteful and would deliver max roi!

So if I did sell, the interesting question is what to replace it with?
    I'm not sure I could even get a 3rd gen in my configuration (4x4 RC MT)- I'd have to check. And start the mods all over. If I had to, I guess I would.
    Or get somebody else's custom built rock crawling-expo-trophy-daily-driver truck? Meh.

As a joke I started showing my wife the new Bronco website (to help justify some "small upgrades" on mine), and actually...
    Then I saw the Sasquatch package requires an automatic transmission which is pretty much a deal-breaker. Cuz that sh!t will not buff out!

Turns out, I still bought the best truck possible!

audoni and texas angler like this.
  14. Dec 4, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    audoni

audoni Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR Access Cab 2.7l
    Non yet
    This... For the first time buying a vehicle I did not feel the need to buy extended warranties and GAP insurance. I understand that these are a huge ripoff, but I have always felt the need to do it.

15. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    It's an investment in the sense of trade in value. If you buy a Silverado, you aren't going to get a trade in like you would a Tacoma. Just facts.

MonsieurHodge likes this.
  16. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    MonsieurHodge

MonsieurHodge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Ribbon TRD Off Road AC 4x4 V6 6MT
    If they ever make a DCLB Manual, that would be the only reason to sell what I got. But I doubt that will ever happen, so I’m stuck with what I have. What a rotten bit of luck :rolleyes:

StandardTaco and Matt Sierra like this.
  17. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:50 PM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    Me personally I would never consider something I’m going to lose money on no matter what as an investment(I’m an investor). I also wouldn’t not going to consider what the next guy would want to drive while I’m picking a new vehicle.

18. Dec 4, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    Alnmike

Alnmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '21 4R
    It's an investment only because you'd lose more money on something else.

I'm tired of used, I only have one vehicle and it HAS to work. My last new vehicle was a lemon Ford, needed a brand known to be reliable.

I want a Tesla but hated the driving position of the model 3. So instead, I buy the vehicle with number 1 resale until the cybertruck comes out (and is proven to not be a shit show).

I like 4Runners more than Tacomas honestly and it fits better for what I actually do, but that resale man...

So, while I wait the 5 years for a good electric truck, I'm sitting here with a tiny interest rate.

19. Dec 4, 2020 at 3:05 PM
    RyDog509

RyDog509 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCLB OR
    Leased mine to see if it worked for our family. Luckily with the great resale value I was able to trade in after a year and only be negative $63. Got a tundra and couldn’t be happier.

20. Dec 4, 2020 at 3:15 PM
    Matt Sierra

Matt Sierra Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MT
    Maggy SC, C4 Overland front bumper
    I would be right in line behind you for the DCLB 6MT. I miss the 6 ft bed I have on my '90 truck which is why it makes all the trips to the lumber yard.

Products Discussed in

To Top