1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

putting a lift in my taco need advice

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mixaro, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Dec 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    mixaro

mixaro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    maine
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma ext cab, 2011 trail edition 4 runner, 2013 tx baja dcsb
    02 ext cab cat-back exhaust, k&n replacement filter, 5100 billy's, hellcreek 1.5" rear spring packs, 882 OME coils, Toytec 2" AAl, stainless brake lines, Light Racing UCA, 1" diff drop, BPV bracket, 4" deck plate mod, 886 fog light backup light mod, tom woods one piece drive shaft, spider trax 1.25 spacer.
    ok here's the deal i have a 02 tacoma 2.7 x-cab. i'm ordering the bilstein 5100 series pre load adjustable front shocks and rear bilstein 5100 shocks from downsouth motorsports. has anywho used them and how good are they? along with that i'm replacing my shot rear springs with full leaf packs from hell creek suspensions. the leaf spring are suppose to give me an 1" to 2" lift in the rear. also has anone used these. they seem like nice guys and their sprng have a life time warranty. now for the real questions, what should i put the front shocks at, i'm thinking all the way up to the 2.5" lift. then after i do that what should i do about tire, right now i have 265/70/r16 and of course i want to go bigger.

2. Dec 7, 2008 at 1:09 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    LOTS of people here run the 5100s - some with the stock coils, some with OME coils, some with the adjustable coilovers (like me!). I have heard that the 2.5 setting will be a pretty rough ride and you won't have much down travel. Just what I've heard about that.

Don't know about the leaf pack...

Tires - you can go up to a 285 with the 3" lift with minor trimming. 265/75s will run even without the lift without rubbing.

3. Dec 7, 2008 at 1:45 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World!
    On the first gens (what you have) you can run a 265/75/16 with that lift and no rubbing issues. With a 285/75/16 (33x11.50), there will be some minor rubbing when turning, or off roading.

4. Dec 7, 2008 at 4:39 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check out wheelersoffroad before you buy the rear springs. i replaced all my stock suspension with the 5100's from downsouthmotorsports, and my coils and rear springs from wheelers...................great spring too man.....made by alcan spring. the coils i got were ome 881's. great prices and customer service from wheelers. and everything that i did gave my truck a bit of a lift, and an awesome ride!! just a heads up!!

5. Dec 7, 2008 at 6:57 PM
    mixaro

mixaro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    maine
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma ext cab, 2011 trail edition 4 runner, 2013 tx baja dcsb
    02 ext cab cat-back exhaust, k&n replacement filter, 5100 billy's, hellcreek 1.5" rear spring packs, 882 OME coils, Toytec 2" AAl, stainless brake lines, Light Racing UCA, 1" diff drop, BPV bracket, 4" deck plate mod, 886 fog light backup light mod, tom woods one piece drive shaft, spider trax 1.25 spacer.
    thanks for all the help. ok well the rear spring seem to work great in my friends truck, even tough it is a jeep and they flex pretty well. but my truck is only going to do minor wheeling, i have a jeep for that( thats my beat the hell out vehicle), i was just lefting because my rear springs are shot(yeah hauling bags of concrete in the bed wasn't the best idea) so i figured i'd lift it, so the down travel doesn't really bother me, along with the harsh ride either. i realzie that lifting it will do that. i was just wondering about the front so i can make it look somewhat level. and how much trimming or work with the friendly hammer i'm going to have to do with the 285's. i've lifted loads of vehicles, this is just kind of my first go around with a tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top