1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

putting a tow ball on rear bumper mount

Discussion in 'Towing' started by franzcars, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    franzcars

franzcars [OP] I'm different, in a different way

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU
    ok, so i was thinking about getting one just to have. we dont really tow anything but it'd be nice to have just in case. i dont have the tow package and its a reg cab soooo..... also is it illegal to tow if the lights on the trailer wouldnt work cuz i dont have the harness? sorry if this has been asked.

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    it takes literaly 15 dollars and 15 minutes to wire in a 4pt connecting harness to the tail lights.

The 4pt harness is used on lighter trailers, which is what you would tow with a bumper ball and a std cab 5 lugger. They dont provide trailer brakes, but they will light up the break light, turn signals, reverse lights on a trailer with a 4pt recieving, which is what you should get so you dont get a ticket, or get into an accident.

[​IMG]

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Towing with the bumper is a bad idea. It sits up too high to be useful and has a VERY limited capacity. Hitches are $100ish and can be done in 20min with two people, 45min by yourself with some cussing:)

4. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU
    i wasnt really looking to spend much because i dont think im going to tow much. but i wanted to b ready in case.

5. Apr 26, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    The bumper ball is fine, your truck sits low enough plus with the added weight of a trailer it will most likley level out. And also along with the light harness u need a spot to put chains

6. Apr 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    i think the 2 holes on the side of the mount is for chains. is this a good thing or should i just splice? 43355_e0f280c0801666d80e61d050026fc5b4327a1f1b.gif

7. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    oh god that thing is overly complicated. Just splice. The wires are easily accessible under the truck. You will just want to make sure you have the tail light wiring diagram for your truck so you know where what wires to connect to what.

i used connectors that looked like this
    [​IMG]
    basicly idiot proof,

8. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    i've used that b4. ill look at the wireing this weekend. thanks

9. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    These things are about as quick and easy as it gets! I've got one for my truck. All you have to do is pull the tail lights, T-in and you're set.

10. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    i looked under my bumper and couldnt find the plug. ill prolly go up to advanced auto and get some stuff

11. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Possibly for chains, but I've also read that the other 2 holes are actually for off-centered towing. This is for large farm equipment that wouldn't fit inside the lane of a road, so you can offset the load so that it partially hangs off the side of the road to ensure it clears the oncoming lane.

12. Apr 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    oh. i read somewhere on the fourm to but i hooks or something like those and bolt the chain down. that good?

13. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Buy that one it installs in 10-15 minutes, very easy. Don't do the splicing, a pain in the ass. I have installed several of those over the years. You will be glad you git that instead of splicing.

14. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    YES! You will get a ticket & possible worse if towing without a harness. If you are ever pulled over because the trailer lights aren't working. Act suprised & get out to check, then appoligize & say you will take care of it immediately. Most of the time this keeps you from getting a ticket.

15. Apr 27, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    ill do the good old splice job and if i get more serious towing, ill get a biiger taco with tow pkg :p

is this the wireing diagram?

tacotowing_7aa315deacb26dc5bda93b5b8a55bc844c63536f.jpg

16. Apr 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I think that diagram is for the pre-existing harness provided with the stock towing package option...I assume you don't have the wiring harness already since you're thinking of splicing, so you'll have to splice off the tail light wires because the harness in your diagram does not exist on your vehicle.

17. Apr 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    If the same cop pulls you over a 2nd time. A ticket you will get. Best not to fake it. At least try & get it to work.

The OEM harness isn't any better than the aftermarket one. I would buy the aftermarket one around $50. Then replace the lightbulbs in the trailer. A cheap fix & that may be all the trailer needs. Trailer bulbs $1.50.

Splicing can have issues later on. I'm not a fan of splicing if you don't have too.

18. Apr 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    how would i know what to splice off? should i pull my tail lights off and look?

19. Apr 27, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    For a 2007:
    Red/White: Backup (Red on 2010)
    Green: Tail
    Blue: Brake
    Blue/Black: Left Turn (Yellow on 2010)
    Blue/Yellow: Right Turn (Blue/White on 2010)
    White/Black: Ground

20. Apr 28, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    franzcars

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    thanks for the info. ill take a look and c what i hav.

Products Discussed in

To Top